23,615 cases of COVID-19 in South Africa

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The number of deaths was something of a surprise, but that does happen with Monday figures:
Mkhize also announced that the number of deaths attributed to the coronavirus has risen to 481 – an increase of 52 in the last 24 hours.

Gallderhen

How is it that the Western Cape has 5x more positive cases than Gauteng?

-G-

stfenix

The testing is a farce. apparently you can test positive and negative for Covid. So how do they know if you have it or not?

Furthermore, the amount of virus present in the nose and throat – and therefore
in the swab- may vary from day to day
. This can, and does, result in intermittent detection. As a result, swabs taken in
quick succession, and tested by different methods, may yield different results.

Yes, I tested positive and then negative into subsequent tests each 24 hours apart.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
The testing is a farce. apparently you can test positive and negative for Covid. So how do they know if you have it or not?

Furthermore, the amount of virus present in the nose and throat – and therefore
in the swab- may vary from day to day
. This can, and does, result in intermittent detection. As a result, swabs taken in
quick succession, and tested by different methods, may yield different results.

Yes, I tested positive and then negative into subsequent tests each 24 hours apart.

Yes, some tests were recording shed virus that had already died. This was discovered and rectified quite quickly, it's also the reason there was a fear that people could be reinfected after recovering.

stfenix

Yes, some tests were recording shed virus that had already died. This was discovered and rectified quite quickly, it's also the reason there was a fear that people could be reinfected after recovering.
yes, but if you get tested on a day where the virus is not "present" you can be positive and still infect many people along the way. so whats the point of the test? or only test when you are sick? so Asymptomatic users are just carriers in spreading this far and wide.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
yes, but if you get tested on a day where the virus is not "present" you can be positive and still infect many people along the way. so whats the point of the test? or only test when you are sick? so Asymptomatic users are just carriers in spreading this far and wide.

OK, can the 'Test Deniers' please tell me WTF you would like to do instead? Do you really not understand "what's the point of the test?" You really don't understand that??

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Well, regardless of the testing issues, asymptomatic infected are doing that all the time. We only test after screening, so asymptomatic people will never get tested.

Reading this thread, it seems like once you get into being tested once, it's like some kind of demented feedback loop of testing from which it appears difficult to escape.

It also explains why we are running out of test kits when each person who gets tested seems to consume at minimum 3-4 test kits each.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
OK, can the 'Test Deniers' please tell me WTF you would like to do instead? Do you really not understand "what's the point of the test?" You really don't understand that??
I dunno what a test denier is. Maybe you mean the no testing advocates?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Nope. Deniers. They deny that testing is effective.
Oh, that's interesting. The tests used are surely the same worldwide, pretty much, aren't they? Surely the results and therefore the tests must be about the same as worldwide.

stfenix

Well, regardless of the testing issues, asymptomatic infected are doing that all the time. We only test after screening, so asymptomatic people will never get tested.

Reading this thread, it seems like once you get into being tested once, it's like some kind of demented feedback loop of testing from which it appears difficult to escape.

It also explains why we are running out of test kits when each person who gets tested seems to consume at minimum 3-4 test kits each.
this is what happens when you have a child on a ventilator at home and each time you need to go to the dr they require that you do a test.. agreed with asymptomatic carriers will never get tested but that defeats the entire " x amount of people have it" reporting as it is not a true reflection of what can be out there then? I am just asking what is the point in wasting money and time on something that is clearly not effective? and yes I personally pay for each test. including that of my son and my wife. that is why i ask the question. it is R2550 each time. and yes i can claim it back from the Medical Aid, goodluck i am still trying to get money back from them for PMB stuff they did not pay and the Dr's collected from me.

Lupus

Honorary Master
this is what happens when you have a child on a ventilator at home and each time you need to go to the dr they require that you do a test.. agreed with asymptomatic carriers will never get tested but that defeats the entire " x amount of people have it" reporting as it is not a true reflection of what can be out there then? I am just asking what is the point in wasting money and time on something that is clearly not effective? and yes I personally pay for each test. including that of my son and my wife. that is why i ask the question. it is R2550 each time. and yes i can claim it back from the Medical Aid, goodluck i am still trying to get money back from them for PMB stuff they did not pay and the Dr's collected from me.
Don't, you'll be labelled a denier.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
defeats the entire " x amount of people have it" reporting as it is not a true reflection of what can be out there then? I am just asking what is the point in wasting money and time on something that is clearly not effective?

Which is why people resort to comments like it's all made up, the stats at least. The so-called number of infections in SA is a complete myth. It's the number of positive cases found amongst those tested. That's it.