230,000 cases opened against South Africans for lockdown violations

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member

Police Minister Bheki Cele has announced that over 230,000 cases have been opened for violations of COVID-19 lockdown regulations as of 19 May 2020.

This is more than double the number which had been opened at the end of April, when South Africa was still under lockdown alert level 5.

During that month, 107,000 cases were opened against 118,000 people, the minister noted.

• Angry
Reactions: Shi

deweyzeph

Executive Member
When everyone is a criminal then no one is a criminal. Respect for the law has never been high in South Africa, but these regulations are turning even law-abiding respectable people into criminals. It's going to be very hard to put the genie back into the bottle once this is all over.

Swa

Honorary Master
When the government turns people into criminals you know they've lost the plot. Most of these "violations" are questionable and petty and won't stand up in court. Then there's the issue of the disaster management act being unconstitutional.

Gozzy

I seem to be recalling a certain someone who had a family dinner during lockdown, I am wondering if one of those belong to her.

konfab

Honorary Master
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”

― Ayn Rand

Flanders

Honorary Master
Let me guess, the ANC will claim they're creating jobs to build prisons to house these "criminals" and all pat themselves on their target-painted backs?

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

Police Minister Bheki Cele has announced that over 230,000 cases have been opened for violations of COVID-19 lockdown regulations as of 19 May 2020.

This is more than double the number which had been opened at the end of April, when South Africa was still under lockdown alert level 5.

During that month, 107,000 cases were opened against 118,000 people, the minister noted.
0 cases opened against the ruling party? win.

Ianf1

Expert Member
What if outa offered to defend everyone in court? Would that collapse the courts .

Swa

Honorary Master
Fecking government idiots. Of course they do. I'm sure they also mirror the provinces with the most people? :rolleyes: Sometimes I swear the requirement for working in government is having only one brain cell.

nightjar

Expert Member
What if outa offered to defend everyone in court? Would that collapse the courts .
The courts would collapse if everyone simply elected to appear in court, pleaded not guilty and gave reasons to justify whatever the charge was. After another eight weeks of lock-down the number of people charged will probably be four times as many.

Swa

Honorary Master
The courts would collapse if everyone simply elected to appear in court, pleaded not guilty and gave reasons to justify whatever the charge was. After another eight weeks of lock-down the number of people charged will probably be four times as many.
They can't even handle the people that don't pay traffic fines.