27 black executives were asked to lead Eskom – They all said no

Dups!

Expert Member
The way things are, I would also turn down that position, too much vested interest and heavy political interference by some people who care little about the South African economy and its people.

This man is brave indeed, let's hope he knows what he is getting himself into.

Good luck to him.

Arthur

Honorary Master
To accept that job in the current SOE architecture under the current hegemons is not brave. It's stupid. Eskom's problems are far bigger than a lack of CEO skills. Those bulges you're seeing are the rocks in his head.

I find it strangely encouraging that 27 execs with requisite melanin turned down the job. Gives me some hope, actually.

Last edited:

Clever Willem

Executive Member
I reckon he is going to succeed in dealing with the union's which are a huge part of the problem. One step at a time.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Proper thing to do is say yes, then save as much as possible from the enormous salary, and then emigrate and retire early in some country with electricity.
Any exec who does it for the money is probably incompetent. ;)

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The way things are, I would also turn down that position, too much vested interest and heavy political interference by some people who care little about the South African economy and its people.

This man is brave indeed, let's hope he knows what he is getting himself into.

Good luck to him.
Let's hope the new sheriffs will give him enough room to work. If he doesn't know what he's getting himself into, then he has no business being there in the first place.

R13...

Honorary Master
I reckon he is going to succeed in dealing with the union's which are a huge part of the problem. One step at a time.
Only if government allow him a free hand in sorting them out. Most of the problem is the infighting and crippling indecision of the ruling alliance. CR and PG want a tough stance but their partners have nefarious motivations

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
imagine you're one of the best cruise ship captains in the world. the titanic has just hit an iceberg, started sinking and has broken in half. you get a call/telegram/email on hotmail. they're asking you to be the new captain of the titanic.

LaraC

Honorary Master
This was due to the expected political interference and the fact that state-owned enterprises have “ruined a lot of careers and expectations”.
It is imposible to succeed with your hands tied. :sneaky:

Clever Willem

Executive Member
Unless you are a bold person. Who is prepared to risk all to save a country from ruin. Like I said I've confidence in him.

Reactions: STS