27th month MTN Contract: Do I Upgrade/Migrate/Cancel or Port?

dom3merlin

Hi Guys,

I'm in the 27th month of a Biz Time contract. Didn't read the fine print until now :eek: so may be stuck with the 24 month contract for another 21 months. (Is there a group for this? - I'm sure there must be) When you guys have done laughing :), what would you advise me to do; what is the best way to cut my losses?

Do I ...

a. Cancel - very scary early cancellation fees ... :eek:
b. Migrate - scary migration fee and claw back fee on the imate K-Jam
c. Port - Will prob mean paying off two contracts + 1 month in advance ...
d. Upgrade - small upgrade fee applies, but at least I get something from this. :confused:

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance ...

HiMyNameIs

not too sure bout the small print you're talking about but why dont you just upgrade to a procall 120 @ +-R285 a month with 2hours anytime minutes and no upgrade fees because you're going to a more expensive cantract...

dom3merlin

not too sure bout the small print you're talking about but why dont you just upgrade to a procall 120 @ +-R285 a month with 2hours anytime minutes and no upgrade fees because you're going to a more expensive cantract...
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the suggestion, will follow up on that.
The 'fine print' I was talking about is MTN's standard terms and conditions available here. It's about 10 A4 pages worth of clauses that they usually compress into about 1 page or so on page 2 (reverse side) of the contract application form.
Thanks again for your reply ...

HiMyNameIs

one question...did you renew your contract for another two years (hence already in your 27th month)...or did you just not cancel it after 24 months because if you never cancelled it then this applies
At the end of the Initial Contract Period this Contract will continue automatically on a month to month basis, unless renewed by you in writing, or cancelled:
But like i say if you've already renewed and have changed your mind then go for the upgrade...

dom3merlin

Hi Craig,

I didn't actually renew in writing or otherwise. However I assume the contract makes the transition automatically. It's the colon at the end that worries me; The provisions under 2.1 seem to indicate that you can only cancel at the end of the 'initial contract period' or the 'renewal contract period, or of MTN do it.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, and 'month-to-month' gives a bit more flexibility, it look like I'm stuck. What do you think - is there a window period for cancellation or not? Maybe I'll have luck at the MTN Customer Care outlet, and will be able to convince them to cancel? Will be going in tomorrow to find out ... Thanks a lot for your advice.

Last edited:

HiMyNameIs

I see what you mean, I think the best bet is to go talk to them and then see what options you actually have...
Good Luck!:)

Johnit

I think you are not interpreting the contract correctly; after your initial 24 months the contract runs on a month to month basis and you can cancel on a one month notice. You should therefor not have any problem in cancelling or changing to another contract.

Refer to 2.1:
"At the end of the Initial Contract Period this Contract will continue automatically on a month to month basis, unless renewed by you in writing, or cancelled"