2Africa - New 180Tbps submarine cable to connect South Africa to Europe

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
2Africa - New 180Tbps submarine cable to connect South Africa to Europe

Facebook, MTN, Orange, Vodafone, China Mobile, and WIOCC have announced they will partner to build 2Africa, one of the largest subsea cable projects in the world.

They have appointed Alcatel Submarine Networks (ASN) to build the cable in a fully-funded project which will enhance connectivity across Africa and the Middle East.

At 37,000km long, 2Africa will be one of the world’s largest subsea cable projects and will interconnect Europe, the Middle East, and 21 landings in 16 countries in Africa.

cobusv

dont know why we need more cable from north to south, what we really need is more cables from east to west!

DanDango

Executive Member

Look at the pic, is Cape Town, PE and Durban all landing points?

SilverCode

Hopefully won't have constant cable breaks.
It seems no matter how many cables we have, they always run the same route and break around the same time. I'm hoping that since this cable looks like it goes up the east coast as well, if a break happens on the west coast they can quickly route via the east coast so there is no down time.

dont know why we need more cable from north to south, what we really need is more cables from east to west!
I agree. I find myself having to deal more and more with servers in Asia and latency to Amazon Cloudfront servers in S. Korea is about 400ms. Would love a more direct route there (or for the company in question to actually allow Cloudfront to cache on global servers instead of just the SK ones).

Thor

Honorary Master
More connectivity is welcomed, but we need to connect to the WEST!

cavedog

Honorary Master

Look at the pic, is Cape Town, PE and Durban all landing points?
Well the current cables land in Ysterfontein, Melkbosstand and Mtunzini. Not sure if there are any others possibly maybe EL not sure but yeah will probably land close to these areas because transit is already available at these points.

joshsparkie

Looks like PE as EL is directly down from Lesotho.

Wonder if this means we will see some peering in PE across major ISPs instead of being routed through CPT or JHB?

VegOtter

The fact that it wraps right around is great. Means if there is a break on one side, there is at least some redundancy on the other side. Tops.

DanDango

Executive Member
Looks like PE as EL is directly down from Lesotho.

Wonder if this means we will see some peering in PE across major ISPs instead of being routed through CPT or JHB?
One can only hope. Having peer in Durban will be awesome, the same for people in PE.

upup

Executive Member
I saw a video of a cable, the centre is inside a copper pipe, the person said that it is a company secret how they get the long fibre inside this copper pipe, about 8 to 6 mm thick. This copper is for dc for the regen's.
I wonder how long fiber can fit on one ship.