2Africa - New 180Tbps submarine cable to connect South Africa to Europe

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
This looks like a carbon copy of SEACOM combined with WACS.

What we need is one from Cape Town to Long Island, NY.

ghostRgg

Expert Member

If it drops the latency to MRS (France) by 10-30 ms and increases the capacity Its still a good idea.

I want to run the calculations but too lazy, my guess as going straight there wouldn't really be possible so the 170ms (my guess) would be thrown out. So it would probably have to go to North Africa, then across to NY. Ohhh my low latency pipe dreams :(

genetic

Honorary Master

I direct route would be unfeasible.

A direct route would have to cross the vast and deep Atlantic, making repairs in some places almost impossible. The cable would have to hug the African continental coast until it reaches the closest point to New York, which pretty much all cables do anyway. Adding connections to other countries along the route reduces the connection costs overall. Having SA as the only termination point would make the connection to the cable hellishly expensive.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
2Africa-768x560.jpg

Look at the pic, is Cape Town, PE and Durban all landing points?
Damn Somali pirates adding 10ms of additional ping

Vorastra

Executive Member

It would be stupidly expensive to connect directly from South Africa to the US. It'll never happen. The only way you'd get to the US would be either across from Europe like we currently do, or points across to Brazil and then up, to maximise customers.