2k admin fees on lease. Reasonable?

dontspeak

Hi folks,

I got a flat to rent in Kempton park and out of the blue the agent told me about a R2000 admin fee that wasn't not advertised on the listing. I brought the issue to their attention but they wouldn't budge. Have I been living under a rock? Is the R2000 justifiable on a R5500 flat.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Simple.
Check your contract with them.

If you signed it and never queried the charge then legally you bound to paying it.
You meant to read the terms and conditions of a contract you sign, that's what it's their for in the first place, to acknowledge your agreement!

If their is no contract, then more the fool and no doubt you'll have a fight on your hands to prove its not legally binding or unreasonable.

Last edited:

dontspeak

I haven't signed anything, fortunately. I'm glad I came here before I signed my life away to those predators.

MirageF1

Executive Member
I haven't signed anything, fortunately. I'm glad I came here before I signed my life away to those predators.
But you did use their service... without, I'm assuming as you never mentioned or stated otherwise, confirming all charges, hidden or otherwise, expressly implied or not.

It's ultimately, always your responsibility to ensure you know what the costs are going to be when using a 3rd party for work/service/delivery.

At the very least to enquire and get them to commit to an approximate cost, at least in writing/email and have that on record prior to engaging a service.

Saves a lot of hassle, snot en trane down the road, ultimately as you are now witnessing...

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Not amused...
But you did use their service... without, I'm assuming as you never mentioned or stated otherwise, confirming all charges, hidden or otherwise, expressly implied or not.

It's ultimately, always your responsibility to ensure you know what the costs are going to be when using a 3rd party for work/service/delivery.

At the very least to enquire and get them to commit to an approximate cost, at least in writing/email and have that on record prior to engaging a service.

Saves a lot of hassle, snot en trane down the road, ultimately as you are now witnessing...
Kak, man...they should have warned him before the time about this service cost.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Bullshit, it's you requesting their service, not them, get your facts straight.

Or do you just stick your finger in the pie , lick it, and like a child ask the price later.

Glad I don't have a shop with you inside.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Bullshit, it's you requesting their service, not them, get your facts straight.

Or do you just put your finger in the pie like a child and then ask questions later.

Oh dear...bull in a china shop as usual.

What service was requested by whom?

I don't even know WTF that is supposed to mean, but hey ho....

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Of course not. Ignorance is bliss in some people's mindless brains.

Mindfulness never entered your brain.
There you go...deflect from an actual question asking for actual facts, by going full bore with the personal attacks.

Didn't expect anything else but this standard form of meltdown...Have fun with it, I hope you feel much better now.

MirageF1

Executive Member
There you go...deflect from an actual question asking for actual facts, by going full bore with the personal attacks.

Didn't expect anything else but this standard form of meltdown...Have fun with it, I hope you feel much better now.
I explained the proper position in detail in my previous posts although from your lop sided, mindless position you ignored it. Perhaps you can't read anything that requires logic or an objective viewpoint.

And you where the first one to throw insults I'd remind you, not surprising as you regularly display limited mental faculties.

But by all means go right ahead and tell the OP he's quite within his rights not to confirm costs prior to taking on any service.

Last edited:

F1 Fan

Executive Member
@MirageF1

Its common decency for the agents to confirm all charges up front. Yes, the tenant should know to ask as well, but most of the time they don't know these things.

Regardless of the above, he is well within his right to walk away if he has not signed anything.

MirageF1

Executive Member
@MirageF1

Its common decency for the agents to confirm all charges up front. Yes, the tenant should know to ask as well, but most of the time they don't know these things.

Clearly but again that's not the issue at stake here.
It's not a moral but a legal issue..

Regardless of the above, he is well within his right to walk away if he has not signed anything.

But he has used their service.
Are you saying he doesn't owe them a penny just because he feels like it?

F1 Fan

Executive Member
Clearly but again that's not the issue at stake here.
It's not a moral but a legal issue..

But he has used their service.
Are you saying he doesn't owe them a penny just because he feels like it?

Legally, if he did not commit to taking the place without understanding the additional charges, then yes, he has every right to walk away.

The charge for their service is dependant on a successful application.

F1 Fan

Executive Member
He hasn't mentioned where he is in the process.
If he has already engaged their service, I disagree.

He said he didn't sign anything...

In all fairness, I wouldn't trust an agent that isn't upfront with things like this anyway.

I don't use agents for my properties, I've had too many bad experiences.

MirageF1

Executive Member
He said he didn't sign anything...

In all fairness, I wouldn't trust an agent that isn't upfront with things like this anyway.

I don't use agents for my properties, I've had too many bad experiences.

If he has engaged their service he has, implicitly agreed to paying, whether he signed or not.
What that price is at this stage is what the issue is about.

What service is free in this world? Are yours?