2nd hand garmin: Nuvi55LM or Nuvi2497 or other

Dal1

I'm looking for a second hand Garmin.

I've never owned one before, so not completely sure what to look for.
I've been shopping for second hand devices and found 3 that I'm considering so far.

I've read on Amazon that the Nuvi55LM has been discontinued. Does this mean no free map updates anymore?

Do you need data for the traffic updates or not?
Both the models I'm looking at is around R900.

I also saw a Drive 40LM for R800 (sells for around R1500 new).

Any suggestions what I need to look out for or which model I should look at.

I'm looking for the best value I can get for under R1500

saor

Honorary Master
Any specific reason you want a Garmin vs. just using your phone and something like Google maps, Waze etc?

geezer

Expert Member
If it was me, I would go and get the Garmin Drive 40LM from Makro. It's R1499 which is under threshold of R1500...:laugh:
You will get a year's guarantee, as wel as "Lifetime Maps", because that's what the LM indicates. One thing to remember, Garmin's Lifetime means the lifetime of the device, not the owner of it. Here is a link to the fine print regarding the Lifetime Maps: https://www.garmin.com/en-ZA/legal/lmdisclaimer

Dal1

Thanks. I think that would be the best bet. I was looking around to see if I could find a fancier model second hand with the traffic updates as well for the same price, but those I could find is discontinued so I doubt they will still give the free updates (as you say, end of product "life"), so looks like the Drive 40LM will be my choice.

Dal1

Yes, some areas does not have mobile signal. Data charges on my phone is also an issue, if you are stuck without data, you cannot reload if you are not on wifi and it may take alot of data if you travel often. I would be able to use my phone on Bluetooth and listen to the radio while the GPS is in use. If I use the phone, it turns down the radio when giving directions which is very annoying.