3 832 deaths in Gauteng hospitals because of medical negligence - DA

Currantly

A total of 3 832 patients died last year in Gauteng public hospitals as a result of 10 741 serious adverse events (SAEs), which largely arise from avoidable medical negligence.

This information was disclosed by Gauteng Health MEC Bandile Masuku in a written reply to DA Gauteng health spokesperson Jack Bloom's questions in the Gauteng legislature.

An SAE is defined as an event that results in unintended harm to the patient by an act of commission or omission rather than by the underlying disease or condition of the patient.
Linky

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Hopefully this does not come as a surprise or anyone thought anything else. When signing into any State hospital you sign your death warrant along with the admission papers.

Reactions: ES1

Zyk1

Expert Member
This is what happens when you employ sub par health care professionals

santaman202

Not to worry, with nhi coming soon people who live in extreme poverty will recieve the same treatment as our dear president. Good job anc !

smi

Expert Member
Hopefully this does not come as a surprise or anyone thought anything else. When signing into any State hospital you sign your death warrant along with the admission papers.
Not all are the same, Eerste River and Hermanus hospital,has been a shining example of doing it right. Outstanding people and service with smiles all round, even got a free orange juice and sandwich.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I have to disagree that all government hospitals are bad or inept.
I was in ICU in a government hospital for 3 weeks and a week in high care in 2016.
The staff went the extra mile to keep me alive and they were really professional.
I moved to a new place and the government hospital I get my meds from is just as good. Great doctors and great staff.

aleksandar

Not all are the same, Eerste River and Hermanus hospital,has been a shining example of doing it right. Outstanding people and service with smiles all round, even got a free orange juice and sandwich.
It all depends on management team and their commitment,

3Gee

Expert Member
Private Health is not much better at Medical negligence. They just do a better job at covering their tracks.