3 handsets connected to voip base station over WiFi

skyw4lk3r

Does something like this exist?

Need 3 handsets connected over existing WiFi network (excellent coverage, but over a large area which a single dect base station won't cover, hence thinking of WiFi)

All connected to one Sip account, so somehow the base device connected by cable to the router should have the sip setup, with the 3 handsets connected to it via WiFi.

Secondly, all phones should ring when a call comes in.

Possible?

skyw4lk3r

Alternatively, a dect system will be considered as well, as long as the requirements can be fulfilled.
But not keen on base stations when wifi already in place.

Base station connected to router, one range extender perhaps. 3 handsets. All must ring as a call comes in.

Last edited:

killerbyte

Expert Member
What distances are you looking at?
From internal testing we have seen issues with VoIP handsets that use WiFi. But maybe we can figure out a DECT solution for you.

skyw4lk3r

Currently using a grandstream ATA with 2 x base stations, connected to the copper phone ports on either side of the house. Works fine. Just the analogue cordless phones are old and beginning to give issues. So wondering if a similar setup would be possible with IP phones. Ie all ring together.

It's probably around 70m length. 20m wide.

access

Honorary Master
yes

the yealink w52p or w60p is a cordless dect phone with base piece.

the base piece can take multiple handsets.

you can configure the base piece to register all phones to a single sip account and make them all ring at the same time.

or do you specifically want wifi phones, that connect to your wifi network.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Currently using a grandstream ATA with 2 x base stations, connected to the copper phone ports on either side of the house. Works fine. Just the analogue cordless phones are old and beginning to give issues. So wondering if a similar setup would be possible with IP phones. Ie all ring together.

It's probably around 70m length. 20m wide.
A Yealink W60B with up to 8 DECT handsets will work perfectly, ideally placed in the middle of that 70m length.

skyw4lk3r

Only concern is that there is multiple brick walls inbetween...

Maybe will try the y60 without a repeater first. May need one though.

skyw4lk3r

yes

the yealink w52p or w60p is a cordless dect phone with base piece.

the base piece can take multiple handsets.

you can configure the base piece to register all phones to a single sip account and make them all ring at the same time.

or do you specifically want wifi phones, that connect to your wifi network.

Would multiple separate WiFi phones be able to ring all at once?

access

Honorary Master
Would multiple separate WiFi phones be able to ring all at once?

yes the base piece controls the handsets. there is a matrix where you select which handset rings with which sip account. you can select all handsets to ring with a single sip account.

remember.

these are dect phones, cordless phones that connect to a dect base station.

a wifi phone connects to your wifi network. i.e. grandstream wp820

there is a difference.

skyw4lk3r

yes the base piece controls the handsets. there is a matrix where you select which handset rings with which sip account. you can select all handsets to ring with a single sip account.

remember.

these are dect phones, cordless phones that connect to a dect base station.

a wifi phone connects to your wifi network. i.e. grandstream wp820

there is a difference.
Just to confirm... I was asking if multiple wifi phones like the grandstream wp820 you quoted, would be able to ring all at once. I assume this would not work?

From your reply i assume you were talking about the dect phones with the single base station, it will work for multiple handsets ringing at once.

Anyways I've just ordered the yealinks. Thanks for the help

skyw4lk3r

Only Yealink DECT phones can be paired with a Yealink base.

Just a last question (hopefully) , if multiple handsets are connected to the yealink base and set to all ring together, when one is answered, if someone on another phone also picks up after that, would it connect to the call as well like copper does?

If not , how would one transfer the call to another handset?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What is wrong with the copper cabling between the current telephone points?

skyw4lk3r

Calls arent so clear on the existing copper for some reason. Secondly, my phones are packing up so I would have to buy new phones anyway.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Do you know how the copper cables are routed? I simply "reversed" the connection when we were converted to VoIP over fibre, and use the same cabling to connect 4 telephone points to the VoIP connection. Retained the filtering at each point that was there for ADSL, Quality excellent at all points regardless of instruments used and I have a range of old and new phones.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Just a last question (hopefully) , if multiple handsets are connected to the yealink base and set to all ring together, when one is answered, if someone on another phone also picks up after that, would it connect to the call as well like copper does?

If not , how would one transfer the call to another handset?

The DECT base does allow the transfering of calls from handset to another. My preference its a seperate SIP account per handset. Just make sure that the SIP provider you are using supports call forking.

skyw4lk3r

The DECT base does allow the transfering of calls from handset to another. My preference its a seperate SIP account per handset. Just make sure that the SIP provider you are using supports call forking.
If my sip provider doesnt support forking...But i register only one sip account on the base station and set all phones to ring, will that work?
Since its not really forking but the dect base thats doing the work... All phones arent connecting to a separate sip account in my case. Only the base