3 million people shoulder almost all of SA’s tax burden

The Free Radical

One of the first paragraphs in the annual tax report published by National Treasury and the South African Revenue Service (Sars) gives one of the main reasons why public infrastructure is deteriorating and living standards for a large section of the population are falling.

“In the last few years, SA’s economy has significantly under-performed. Economic growth has lagged behind global and emerging markets, real GDP has grown slower than population growth for five consecutive years and our current GDP performance on a per capita basis is the weakest since the 1960s,” according to the authors of Tax Statistics 2019.

The figures supplied by the authorities show the stark truth: a handful of taxpayers cannot afford to fund the hospitals, schools, roads, libraries, water networks, postal services, police protection and a range of social grants for a population of 56 million (and increasing).

Source:

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/government/2225800/3m-people-shoulder-almost-all-of-sas-tax-burden/

eg2505

Honorary Master
well as long as the corrupt keep stealing, and companies continue paying salaries that keep going through PAYE
the coffers will never run out.

also, the ANC feel emboldened now, they can get away with anything,
got reelected for another 4 years, so everybody can just go away.

3WA

Executive Member
Fsck that, I don't want any children and I take exception to paying for someone else getting money for having a child...

Can I get a R430 refund on my taxes per R10k I pay?
I only want to fund the purple, green, and light blue circles in that infographic. That's 46%!

Maybe orange, going to 65%.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I only want to fund the purple, green, and light blue circles in that infographic. That's 46%!

Maybe orange, going to 65%.
Tightarse.... :p

**EDIT**

12% on the Executive and Legislative services though is fscking mental. R180 billion by my very very back of the napkin calculations. How the actual fsck are we spending that fscking much on that?

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Tightarse.... :p

**EDIT**

12% on the Executive and Legislative services though is fscking mental. R180 billion by my very very back of the napkin calculations. How the actual fsck are we spending that fscking much on that?
We pay over R400 million JUST in parliamentary salaries per year, never mind the benefits, then there are the provincial legislatures, and the kings and chiefs and whatever else...

dlk001

Executive Member
Property transfers that were subjected to transfer duty = R188.9bn
Average transfer duty paid = R77 606

Zophos

Why do I get the impression that our Government is gearing up to increase VAT again?

The coffers are empty and trying to milk the taxpayers even further have failed, thus Plan B is on the cards....

dlk001

Executive Member
Import Tax by Country

China = R61bn, 26.7%
Germany = R26.1bn, 11.4%
USA = R15.3bn, 6.7%
India = R10.6bn, 4.6%
UK = R8.6bn, 3.7%
Japan = R8.3bn, 3.6%
All other = R98.8bn, 43.2%

62.8% of import tax is from the sea harbours