3 months on the Carnivore Diet

Venom Rush

Expert Member
Did you have any negative symptoms when changing to this diet? Did you just change one day or did you gradually increase your meat intake over time? Do you only eat meat and nothing else? Do you drink anything other than water?
I went straight into it. A lot of people have reported feeling lethargic and grumpy during the first week or so, but I was already eating a fair amount of meat to begin with so I didn't feel the effects quite as much as other people. There were one or two days in the first week where I felt a little tired but nothing major. I reckon if you eased into by gradually adding more meat and removing other foods you'd be fine.

I eat meat and dairy. I drink coffee with milk in the mornings and the rest of the day is water only. I'll occasionally drink a glass of wine or two when I go out. I don't do any nights out of binge drinking.

Venom Rush

Expert Member
I am somewhat interested, not necessarily for myself but for my girlfriend, who suffers from some auto immune conditions like arthritis and psoriasis. I first heard of this diet and it's effects listening to podcasts with Dr Jordan Peterson and the effects it had not only for him but also his daughter. Please keep updating this thread.
That's probably the same podcast I listened to. Was the interview done by Joe Rogan?

Neuk_

Expert Member
I don't know what kind of meat you eat, but I ate a lot of meat this year and my cholesterol skyrocketed. A couple of days ago it was sitting at 7.9. I'm cutting down heavily at the moment.
I eat meat three to four times a day, mostly chicken, tuna, beef and pork and my cholesterol at my last check was 4.44 mmol/l. Some people are just affected more than than others for some reason.

Conack

Expert Member
That's probably the same podcast I listened to. Was the interview done by Joe Rogan?
Rhonda Patrick's podcast that follows after those really tackles the carnivore diet on several points:

Long term effects untested.
Gut biome change, starving/killing off good gut bacteria
Some deficiencies only manifests over a very long time, so while everything might be great in the short term, you might be slowly chowing through some of your resources and not replenishing.

Tried the CD myself for about 2 months and had no problems with it. Felt good.
Went back to keto / whole foods for the most - felt more balanced / people like Rhonda Patrick, Chris Kresser and myriad of other respectable people made compelling enough arguements to make me bring back my salads and veggies (which I find delicious too).

Neuk_

Expert Member
Rhonda Patrick's podcast that follows after those really tackles the carnivore diet on several points:

Some deficiencies only manifests over a very long time, so while everything might be great in the short term, you might be slowly chowing through some of your resources and not replenishing.

Went back to keto / whole foods for the most - felt more balanced / people like Rhonda Patrick, Chris Kresser and myriad of other respectable people made compelling enough arguements to make me bring back my salads and veggies (which I find delicious too).
One also has to remember that not every diet suits every person, Joe Rogan and various podcast guests along with Tim Ferris and various podcast guests have always said the same, people need to find what works for them. If you haven't already, and for those that haven't, take a listen to Joe Rogans podcast with Mikhaila Peterson who is on a carnivore diet which has worked wonders for her. I take what she says with a pinch as she is no health expert from what I remember but listen to the process she went to with various foods, diets and their effects.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

One of the most important points she makes is that while people experience positive effects while on the carnivore diet, we don't yet understand the mechanism behind those changes. It is very possible that you could get the same benefits on a more balanced diet (with some other restrictions of course).

saor

Honorary Master
You just eating regular cuts of meat or organs too?