30-year-old dies after attending 'COVID party' thinking virus was a 'hoax'

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."

Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

biena

Executive Member
In other news words that were neither uttered so or utterly twisted for a soundbite.
"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."
Very much doubt he said that.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party,
Hearsay much, why is the nurse not going on record.

Keep firmly in mind that media want sensation, create sensation all in the name of chasing the next buck.

grok

Honorary Master
"The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," Appleby said.
I guess that question was answered..

garp

Executive Member
I suspect a lot of spin on that story to make it seem like he was an idiot. There are people who know exactly what the risks are but are doing this provided they are young and healthy to try and get some kind of immunity status. Not necessarily a great idea, but also not necessarily blindly done out of sheer stupidity because they think it's a hoax. And to be perfectly honest, if I was under 25 in perfect health, I might be tempted to roll the dice as the risk levels are statistically extremely low.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
In other news words that were neither uttered so or utterly twisted for a soundbite.

Keep firmly in mind that media want sensation, create sensation all in the name of chasing the next buck.
He may have said it. Read a similar story about a man who thought it was just a hype. It ended tragically

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Lots of ignorant (and arrogant!) dumb people out there. Not sure why some posters above think this is not possible?
And just as many people on this forum too with chips on their shoulders thinking this virus is just another flu still.

Dom bly dom.

Cray

Honorary Master

Reports of someone dying during a global pandemic after ignoring medical recommendations hardly qualifies as sensational.. And the person who related the story is a Doctor, is she a sensationalist too?

supersunbird

Honorary Master

So the person didn't regret it?

chrisc

Executive Member
I have several friends who are absolutely convinced it is all a hoax. Won't wear masks, tell people they are "allergic" to them

One shouts and screams about the liquor ban, but has a wine fridge with 60 bottles in it

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
This was on Sky News this morning. They interviewed the doctor.

I just shook my head in disbelief :ROFL:

biena

Executive Member
Reports of someone dying during a global pandemic after ignoring medical recommendations hardly qualifies as sensational.. And the person who related the story is a Doctor, is she a sensationalist too?
Lets dissect this a bit.

Patient comes into the hospital, unnamed nurses (plural) talk with him, they claim that he claimed he attended a party with the intent to contract the virus. Media then reports the doctor went on record as to what was said.

It is a variation of my uncles friend told me that this is the truth. Go play a game of telegraph maybe you will see why I am skeptical about media reporting on the 'facts'.

The sensasionlism comes in with "omg see what he did, now he is dead". He is just another number in the total deaths. No need to even report on it as they are not backing it up as newsworthy except with 3rd party hearsay.

Truth in reporting is dead as it does not generate clicks/money/advert space. Blindly believing whatever is shoveled out is a failure of many.

So the person didn't regret it?
Irrelevant to my point.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Lets dissect this a bit.

Patient comes into the hospital, unnamed nurses (plural) talk with him, they claim that he claimed he attended a party with the intent to contract the virus. Media then reports the doctor went on record as to what was said.

It is a variation of my uncles friend told me that this is the truth. Go play a game of telegraph maybe you will see why I am skeptical about media reporting on the 'facts'.

The sensasionlism comes in with "omg see what he did, now he is dead". He is just another number in the total deaths. No need to even report on it as they are not backing it up as newsworthy except with 3rd party hearsay.

Truth in reporting is dead as it does not generate clicks/money/advert space. Blindly believing whatever is shoveled out is a failure of many.

Irrelevant to my point.
Interesting fact, courts do sometimes allow hearsay when the person who said it is not alive to say it themselves.

eg2505

Honorary Master
R50 says they'll use the single death to justify further restriction of millions of others who didn't do this. Collective punishment, even though the deliberate transgressor died.
100% agree, waiting to hear what next they decide to do, as collective punishment

sure this guy died from something else like HIV or something that wasn't known about previously.
I mean people die from donating blood, and people die from donating bone marrow all the time.