3000 minutes and I can't call any 012, 011, 010 Numbers

ILoveGames

Cell C's response was that I can't use my minutes for those types of calls and I need to use out of bundle airtime

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Perhaps you might go into some [more] detail? What are those minutes marketed as?

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Cell C's response was that I can't use my minutes for those types of calls and I need to use out of bundle airtime
Sounds like they are on-net minutes. Meaning Cell C to Cell C only. Or to certain networks only. Is there a product name associated with those minutes?

ILoveGames

Perhaps you might go into some [more] detail? What are those minutes marketed as?
I am on some pinnacle contract with 15GB data and 3000 Any net Minutes, but those any net supposedly can't call "business numbers" Thing is I could AWLAYS call those numbers a year and a half ago same contract now suddenly everything has changed

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I am on some pinnacle contract with 15GB data and 3000 Any net Minutes, but those any net supposedly can't call "business numbers" Thing is I could AWLAYS call those numbers a year and a half ago same contract now suddenly everything has changed
They may have ported their numbers off telkom - plug on in here and see what it says. I know when telkom you couldn't call VOIP numbers using the included minutes either.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Good day ILoveGames

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Please note that we have two types of Voice Minutes.
On-Network minutes - these minutes can be used to make calls only to Cell C numbers.
Any-Network minutes -these minutes can be used to make calls to any local networks including landline numbers.

Calls to Premium lines, Shared call lines, and Special numbers (0800..., 0860... 087...)are not included in both the Voice minutes. You will need a rand value airtime to make calls because of their call rates.

Please send us a PM with the Cell C number in question so we can check and assist you.

^NZ

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Good day ILoveGames

On-Network minutes - these minutes can be used to make calls only to Cell C numbers.
Any-Network minutes -these minutes can be used to make calls to any local networks including landline numbers.

Calls to Premium lines, Shared call lines, and Special numbers (0800..., 0860... 087...)are not included in both the Voice minutes. You will need a rand value airtime to make calls because of their call rates.

Please send us a PM with the Cell C number in question so we can check and assist you.

^NZ

Cell C, and the other cell networks, really should zero rate 0800 numbers.

ILoveGames

Good day ILoveGames

^NZ
I'd rather pay double for vodacom than accept this

argh

Your problem is frustrating. It is best to ask Cell C what calls you are getting; Cell C to Cell C, or Cell C to any network. I use Cell C prepaid any network calling plans, usually the R199 one which gives me 15 hours of calls within the 30-day duration of the plan. I can call any phone number in South Africa, and toll free numbers are free. I have been using these prepaid phone plans with no problems for a year, since Telkom informed me it was discontinuing copper services in my area and hence my landline phone. I find the Cell C calling plans great for everything from short to long phone calls, including phoning call centres, and hanging on for long periods waiting for my call to be answered. The anynet prepaid calling plans are listed on https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/bundles-contract-detail/prepaid-voice-bundle (scroll down the page to get to the anynet ones). You can buy the Cell C prepaid all network calling plans on their website (https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/get-voiceBundle), app and USSD from your phone, or at one of their shops.

cpu.

Expert Member
All mobile operators do it this way. Lots of minutes on their own network.

Even Vodacom.

Why must they give you free calls to 0800 etc? It's not on their network and is free/or paid services offered by another network. Not even Telkom Mobile allow you to call those numbers free onnet.

ponder

Honorary Master
Why must they give you free calls to 0800 etc? It's not on their network and is free/or paid services offered by another network. Not even Telkom Mobile allow you to call those numbers free onnet.

What happened to the ICASA regulations requiring all toll free numbers to be free?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Watch out! The same dumb rules apply on Vodacom, with calls being restricted on some packages. This BS is getting completely out of hand where everyone now has to be some sort of telecom genius to know what your package can and can't do.

The networks are pushing many to the point where they will simply walk away from all of this rubbish.

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
... and this was one of the main reasons I ported away from Cell C and have never looked back.

66c my ass! :laugh::ROFL::mad:

argh

... and this was one of the main reasons I ported away from Cell C and have never looked back.

66c my ass! :laugh::ROFL::mad:
The Cell C prepaid 66c/minute calling option does charge 66c/minute, per second basis. Any calling costs, from any cellular provider on any plan, should be checked for the per minute charge, and if it is charged per minute or per second. I have seen with all providers that when bonus/free minutes are given on prepaid, or when calling plans are bundled with data & SMS on contracts, the per minute call charges can be very high. So, always check the details of what you choose so you don't get ripped off.

Totempole

Expert Member
The Cell C prepaid 66c/minute calling option does charge 66c/minute, per second basis. Any calling costs, from any cellular provider on any plan, should be checked for the per minute charge, and if it is charged per minute or per second. I have seen with all providers that when bonus/free minutes are given on prepaid, or when calling plans are bundled with data & SMS on contracts, the per minute call charges can be very high. So, always check the details of what you choose so you don't get ripped off.
My point is, it's certainly not 66c per minute for 0860, 0861 and 087 numbers.

At the time I ported, Cell C was charging over R2 per minute for calls to those numbers.

I could give them the benefit of the doubt for 087 numbers because they fall under VOIP numbers, but there's no excuse for excessive billing for the unportable Telkom 0860 and 0861 numbers.

I don't recall what the charge was for 0800 numbers back then, but at the time they were the only network that wasn't zero-rating them.