32-inches and 144Hz – What a PC monitor should be

CRE4MPIE

Sure you can get better monitors that deliver better image quality with their IPS Panels and flashy RGB ... at double the price ... I moved from a Dell S27DG 144Hz 1ms Gsync and tbh I'm loving this.

Go read my quick review on the monitor.

https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?threads/mecer-k3g3r-31-5-qhd-2560x1440-144hz-freesync-curved-gaming-monitor-review.231726/

Truth of the matter is, for the price you won't beat the value , size and performance. That said , you have to remember it's a VA Panel which in some circumstances is prone to some ghosting.

I've managed to all but eliminate my ghosting completely. I also had an Acer Predator Z35 with an AMVA panel ( a premium 35" UW 200Hz Gaming monitor ) which had worse ghosting and lower PPI due to only running 2k.

CP out :)

nelis

Expert Member
d an
Some examples (and to be clear, I have no beef with the monitor; I am, however, keen to know if what I am experiencing is within expected parameters or not, and if not, where the issue lies):

Colour shifting (text):

Items literally vanishing:

Colour changes in-game (exacerbated by my potato video, to be clear): Link.

I am also having some flickering issues with G-sync, but given I am using an Nvidia card, I'm happy to accept these.

I had an old Asus monitor that did the same. Was to do with the overdrive on the monitor. Was a 60hz panel though

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
d an

I had an old Asus monitor that did the same. Was to do with the overdrive on the monitor. Was a 60hz panel though
Yup, overdrive, used to lower the response time. My Dell also does that when I put the response time on "fast", so I just leave it on normal.

Is there a setting where you can turn it off?

copacetic

King of the Hippies
d an

Presumably, these are the 'Response Time' options (Off, High, Middle and Low). As far as I can tell, they do literally nothing when changed. Hence, why I am (now with quite a lot of frustration setting in), trying to figure out if this particular monitor is ****ed or not.

I just tried to read a dark forum page, and the experience was so unpleasant I moved it over to my secondary monitor (an IPS).

Sl8er

Executive Member
Here's a question you should be asking if you're interested in this monitor:
Does it have LFC?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
A whopping 7 grand?? That's my whole month's rent for a monitor.
:ROFL: not really the best comparison.
Most of the components in my PC is more than a month's bond payment, some including the levy, rates, taxes and electricity.
Same with my monitor, my camera and lenses.

ekske1

Executive Member
My 5k zar LG gaming screen is more than 4 years old. In fact the LG lcd next to it, is probably more than 10 years old.

How much rent did you pay in the last 5 years?

:edit
while you are crying about costs

Mechanical keyboard - 3,000
HOSAS - 2,400
Gaming mouse - 1,500
Xb1 controller - 1,000
GPU - 8,500
Headpones - 3,800
Sound card for the Headpones - about 3,500
Speakers - 2,000

next: Hori Fighting stick - 3,500

Of course I got everything including the rest of the insides of the box in one day * roll eye *

Last edited:

nelis

Expert Member
lol but you most probably keep the monitor for a few years anyway so per month it's not that much actually. You get a much better gaming experience. I payd R15K for my PG279q. I know it's expensive and can get almost the same for cheaper these days but I bought it a few years back and still happy with it. Trust me the adapative sync (freesync or G-sync) is worth it. You don't know how smooth gameplay can be without experiencing one for a day or two.

nelis

Expert Member
Yup, overdrive, used to lower the response time. My Dell also does that when I put the response time on "fast", so I just leave it on normal.

Is there a setting where you can turn it off?
There was a way to switch it off on the Asus monitor. My current asus PG279q I think also has some ghosting when set the overdrive to extreme but none when have it on normal so I just leave it on normal.

Marcell1992

My 5k zar LG gaming screen is more than 4 years old. In fact the LG lcd next to it, is probably more than 10 years old.

How much rent did you pay in the last 5 years?

:edit
while you are crying about costs

Mechanical keyboard - 3,000
HOSAS - 2,400
Gaming mouse - 1,500
Xb1 controller - 1,000
GPU - 8,500
Headpones - 3,800
Sound card for the Headpones - about 3,500
Speakers - 2,000

next: Hori Fighting stick - 3,500

Of course I got everything including the rest of the insides of the box in one day * roll eye *
Who said I was crying? And I can see you have a very high spending habit.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Well, I'm not getting a response from the retailer (although to be fair, I only sent them an email yesterday mid-day, after an earlier initial chat about the issues).

I've tweeted Mustek now (I say this only to point out that I don't really know where to turn, I don't expect them to jump to attention just because I've sent them a tweet). I'm honestly getting pretty dissatisfied at this point. Whether it's an issue on my side, or an issue with the monitor, dark-themed sites and certain contrast situations in games make the unit close to unusable as far as I am concerned.

I need some assistance. I'd appreciate someone involved in the chain of producing and selling the thing to me to respond appropriately.

Conack

Expert Member
I'm honestly getting pretty dissatisfied at this point. Whether it's an issue on my side, or an issue with the monitor, dark-themed sites and certain contrast situations in games make the unit close to unusable as far as I am concerned.

I need some assistance. I'd appreciate someone involved in the chain of producing and selling the thing to me to respond appropriately.
Got this monitor and I'm in the same boat as Copacetic.
Read all the forum posts and noted your concerns with ghosting - but hoped for the best, that it was indeed just a case of your display being faulty or Gfx card output having a problem.

Unfortunately, I've got the exact same ghosting issue scrolling through websites and in Rust the ghosting is atrocious.

Also had the flickering issue in Rust, but found after some tinkering I narrowed it down to a g-sync issue, so got that solved.

Boosted the contrast to 100 as per Creampie's suggestions and that improves it a bit, but as it stands I don't think I can use this monitor.

Will contact Wootware and find out if I can swap it for another monitor.
(Bought it bundled with a 2080, so I'm pretty sure one can rule out the graphics card.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I gave up on trying to figure it out. If I could replace or return it, I would, but I've had it for too long, and I don't think there's actually anything wrong with it - I suspect this is just the nature of VA panels (and especially cheaper ones, presumably).

It is not all bad though, to be clear; I'd say 80% of the time it works well. It's just the 20% of scenarios where the issues are present, that they are extremely objectionable.

DTBA

Expert Member
I gave up on trying to figure it out. If I could replace or return it, I would, but I've had it for too long, and I don't think there's actually anything wrong with it - I suspect this is just the nature of VA panels (and especially cheaper ones, presumably).

It is not all bad though, to be clear; I'd say 80% of the time it works well. It's just the 20% of scenarios where the issues are present, that they are extremely objectionable.
I just wanted to add. Like the text bars going missing on NVIDIA page and poe items. I am on a asus panel and this does not happen at all.

I checked your video sadly it will drive me crazy :(

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I just wanted to add. Like the text bars going missing on NVIDIA page and poe items. I am on a asus panel and this does not happen at all.

I checked your video sadly it will drive me crazy :(
It drives me crazy, believe me. To the extent that my browsing habits are being dictated by 'is the website dark, then no, I'm not going to browse it'.

In all the posts I've made, across here and Carb, it seems only Conack and myself have these issues, at least to the degree where they are really problematic - Are we just fussy? Did we get sub-par units? I'm confused by the amount of happy owners of this thing...