32-inches and 144Hz – What a PC monitor should be

DTBA

Expert Member
It drives me crazy, believe me. To the extent that my browsing habits are being dictated by 'is the website dark, then no, I'm not going to browse it'.

In all the posts I've made, across here and Carb, it seems only Conack and myself have these issues, at least to the degree where they are really problematic - Are we just fussy? Did we get sub-par units? I'm confused by the amount of happy owners of this thing...
If it was my first ever screen, I would be happy but after what I am use to, I understand how you guys feel.

I can always setup my canon 600D and get some good test shots and upload to youtube if you want

Rabobi

Executive Member
Its probably a combination of cheap panel and some kind of defect.

I remember buying a Viewsonic way back when and expecting it to be awesome. It arrived and had a fault, but i somehow tried to convince myself it was normal. Until i saw what normal looked like, and then i took it back.

If you think its faulty, then it probably is!

copacetic

King of the Hippies
If it was my first ever screen, I would be happy but after what I am use to, I understand how you guys feel.

I can always setup my canon 600D and get some good test shots and upload to youtube if you want
I've got a Dell IPS as a secondary monitor, which is absolute perfection, in comparison - So I am able to A/B various situations. The difference is profound.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Its probably a combination of cheap panel and some kind of defect.

I remember buying a Viewsonic way back when and expecting it to be awesome. It arrived and had a fault, but i somehow tried to convince myself it was normal. Until i saw what normal looked like, and then i took it back.

If you think its faulty, then it probably is!
I should probably go through the trouble, at the very least to get closure on the whole situation.

Conack

Expert Member
It seems the problem is most pronounced when setting the screen a bit darker (I hate a glaring bright screen, especially at night) and use Flux to make it a little darker to reduce eye strain.

However, the ghosting then seems incredibly bad - which is a huge problem since gaming is obviously done later in the evening.
Compared to my brother's Dell 27" (https://www.wootware.co.za/dell-s2716dg-27-wqhd-2560x1440-144hz-1ms-nvidia-g-sync-16-9-tn-panel-gaming-monitor.html), which has no such problems at all, not even remotely close.

Putting the Mecer contrast on 75+ as well as boosting contrast in the Nvidia control panel, it reduces the ghosting significantly, but it will blind me at night.. then I'd rather spend a couple K more and get a screen I can actually use.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Putting the Mecer contrast on 75+ as well as boosting contrast in the Nvidia control panel, it reduces the ghosting significantly, but it will blind me at night.. then I'd rather spend a couple K more and get a screen I can actually use.
Or spend a lot less and get Blue light tinted glasses.
Even if you don't need glasses to see or read (I don't) they eliminate the effect of looking at a bright screen at night.
What is even better is you don't get that yellow light effect from Flux.
I used Flux and hated the yellow colour it gave off.

The glasses are also focus correcting so no eye strain.
I can sit for hours with no sore eyes.

See an Optometrist.

Conack

Expert Member
An optometrist won't help the discomfort of facing a bright screen at night though. I've been using a dimmer brightness for decades as it's simply easier on the eye.

Flux can be set to not remove the blue light (giving the red tint), and only drop brightness (which I do for gaming at times) but no one in their right mind has their screen on max contrast at night. (Which is the only way to reduce the ghosting effect).

Screen brightness should always match ambient lighting and while I have adequate lighting, switching on a sharp LED would be quite inconvenient, unnatural and uncomfortable at night.

Have no such problems with my old screen or my bro's Dell.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
An optometrist won't help the discomfort of facing a bright screen at night though. I've been using a dimmer brightness for decades as it's simply easier on the eye.

Flux can be set to not remove the blue light (giving the red tint), and only drop brightness (which I do for gaming at times) but no one in their right mind has their screen on max contrast at night. (Which is the only way to reduce the ghosting effect).

Screen brightness should always match ambient lighting and while I have adequate lighting, switching on a sharp LED would be quite inconvenient, unnatural and uncomfortable at night.

Have no such problems with my old screen or my bro's Dell.
I literally just told you how the glasses I got eliminates the effect of a bright screen at night.
So yes
An optometrist can 100% help the discomfort of facing a bright screen at night.

Conack

Expert Member
I literally just told you how the glasses I got eliminates the effect of a bright screen at night.
So yes
An optometrist can 100% help the discomfort of facing a bright screen at night.
So I have to buy and wear glasses because the screen ghosts in the darkness? I think not :unsure:

Won't be of any use until we can run AAA titles at 165-200fps, so for now not really going to see the difference unless you're playing older games :)

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
It drives me crazy, believe me. To the extent that my browsing habits are being dictated by 'is the website dark, then no, I'm not going to browse it'.

In all the posts I've made, across here and Carb, it seems only Conack and myself have these issues, at least to the degree where they are really problematic - Are we just fussy? Did we get sub-par units? I'm confused by the amount of happy owners of this thing...
Which site gives you that scrolling issue? I've looked at darker sites on mine, but have seen no issues.
As for ghosting, yeah, this monitor has ghosting, but it's better than my IPS monitor, so I don't mind it.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Which site gives you that scrolling issue? I've looked at darker sites on mine, but have seen no issues.
As for ghosting, yeah, this monitor has ghosting, but it's better than my IPS monitor, so I don't mind it.
Try the Nvidia Forums, icons literally vanish:

Path of Exile Forums are also terrible, and most sites with darker backgrounds and certain colour combos.

In-game label horror: Link

*edit*

Wrong link above, will find later.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Some examples (and to be clear, I have no beef with the monitor; I am, however, keen to know if what I am experiencing is within expected parameters or not, and if not, where the issue lies):

Colour shifting (text):

Items literally vanishing:

Colour changes in-game (exacerbated by my potato video, to be clear): Link.

I am also having some flickering issues with G-sync, but given I am using an Nvidia card, I'm happy to accept these.
Well thats f****d up.

Completely unacceptable.