32-inches and 144Hz – What a PC monitor should be

SYNERGY

Executive Member
What I don't understand is it sounds like he is just keeping it, I would've returned it so fast they would think I did it twice.
I get you. It is great value thou. Just not for browsing and dark themed websites...

Definitely a no no for me. As a dedicated gaming monitor? That's fine. @copacetic, do you get 'black crush' (Cheaper VA Panel issue) and the issues you mentioned in games as well? (Dark scenes)

If it happens in games as well, would have definitely returned it. As a work monitor, might have kept it.

I purchased this last year: 13k. Almost double the price. No issues thou.

https://www.takealot.com/asus-designo-mx34vq-34-uwqhd-100hz-freesync-ultrawide-curved-monitor/PLID48857910?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4-XlBRDuARIsAK96p3Ck_TnWWAZipw8fEGB8_cg7St-mO3p6GiMoq6MP3vnjJxos4ErT0sgaAqRgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Genisys

Executive Member
Because I'm not a filthy peasant who would use a tiny 25", 1080p, TN monitor?
Yeah, about that, these monitors are targeted at FPS playing gamers. If you think 25" is small, you are wrong, its perfect when you play an FPS competitively.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
What I don't understand is it sounds like he is just keeping it, I would've returned it so fast they would think I did it twice.
Mine does it as well, but only on a small piece of text in the footer of the POE forum. I don't think its a defect in the monitor, it's just the way it is.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Well thats f****d up.

Completely unacceptable.
Well, this is the first time I can recall anyone commenting on any of the clips I've posted, agreeing that it's not at all right (I've been looking for a second opinion, or best bet someone with the same monitor not exhibiting this issue).

I've never used a VA panel before, and after the various threads and discussions became semi-convinced this is just the nature of the monitor.

I got the same response from the retailer, essentially, and Mustek don't seem very interested in communicating with me.

It's really been very frustrating, and the whole thing just ended up tiring me out and time went on.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I get you. It is great value thou. Just not for browsing and dark themed websites...

Definitely a no no for me. As a dedicated gaming monitor? That's fine. @copacetic, do you get 'black crush' (Cheaper VA Panel issue) and the issues you mentioned in games as well? (Dark scenes)

If it happens in games as well, would have definitely returned it. As a work monitor, might have kept it.

I purchased this last year: 13k. Almost double the price. No issues thou.

https://www.takealot.com/asus-designo-mx34vq-34-uwqhd-100hz-freesync-ultrawide-curved-monitor/PLID48857910?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4-XlBRDuARIsAK96p3Ck_TnWWAZipw8fEGB8_cg7St-mO3p6GiMoq6MP3vnjJxos4ErT0sgaAqRgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Depends on the game - I'd say that for gaming purposes, this monitor does a pretty good job (for the price).

Unfortunately, the game I play the most (Path of Exile) has a loot filter which fills your screen with labels, and depending on the colour and contrast, the experience is absolutely terrible (as you move the colours change and darken, etc). Most other games though, are actually quite pleasant to play.

Problem is basically that when it works it works really well (which is most of the time), but when it's bad, it's wretched.

*edit*

Another clip.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Depends on the game - I'd say that for gaming purposes, this monitor does a pretty good job (for the price).

Unfortunately, the game I play the most (Path of Exile) has a loot filter which fills your screen with labels, and depending on the colour and contrast, the experience is absolutely terrible (as you move the colours change and darken, etc). Most other games though, are actually quite pleasant to play.

Problem is basically that when it works it works really well (which is most of the time), but when it's bad, it's wretched.

*edit*

Another clip.
Seems like the panel is overclocked, hence the colour changes... I'm assuming you tried turning down the clock/refresh rate?
Black crush is an inherent problem with all VA panels. What you're experiencing is one of the worst cases I have seen.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Seems like the panel is overclocked, hence the colour changes... I'm assuming you tried turning down the clock/refresh rate?
Black crush is an inherent problem with all VA panels. What you're experiencing is one of the worst cases I have seen.
Thank you for this suggestion - It did not occur to me actually (turning down the refresh rate, specifically). At 60Hz, from what I can see, most of the issues are eliminated (cursory testing). At 120Hz there seems to possibly be a marginal improvement, although it's difficult to tell for sure.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Thank you for this suggestion - It did not occur to me actually (turning down the refresh rate, specifically). At 60Hz, from what I can see, most of the issues are eliminated (cursory testing). At 120Hz there seems to possibly be a marginal improvement, although it's difficult to tell for sure.
Check the thread on Carbonite again, someone posted a whole bunch of tweaks and fixes.

https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?threads/mecer-k3g3r-31-5-qhd-2560x1440-144hz-freesync-curved-gaming-monitor-review.231726/post-1651762

Last edited:

copacetic

King of the Hippies