32GB RAM on H55 chipset motherboard

Pada

Executive Member
Hi guys,

Would it be possible for me to install 32GB (4x 8GB) on my Asus P7H55D-M Evo with an i7 860?

I already have 4x 4GB installed and I'm running out of RAM every now and then :(

The Asus website states maximum of 16GB and the supported memory list doesn't include any 8GB modules. I usually don't bother with these specifications listed on the manufacturer websites, because I've usually installed more RAM than what they said is possible - or at least in the Apple cases ;)

I can't seem to find any information regarding the maximum amount of RAM for the H55 chipset.
The G.Skill memory specs said that the 8GB modules works with the P55 chipset.

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
No idea. I don't see why not. Could just be that a BIOS update provides support for more memory?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I'd be more worried about why you are using that much RAM.

If you are running a SQL server on that machine then the real solution is to move to a server architecture and not use a desktop MB.

Pada

Executive Member
Nerherder:
I'm running a MySQL server on a RAM drive, and I'm also running multiple Linux virtual machines that I use for development.

I don't want to go for a server setup, because it is just so much more expensive.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
On the website it states: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)*/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory.

I'm 100% sure that if they give you a max value you aren't meant to go over it.

PS: What are you doing that causes 16GB of RAM to be used up?

intel8080

Banned
Nerherder:
I'm running a MySQL server on a RAM drive, and I'm also running multiple Linux virtual machines that I use for development.

I don't want to go for a server setup, because it is just so much more expensive.

Judging by the question you are asking, you think you know what you are doing but clearly you do not. And yes, the P55 chipset, should be able to use 32GB RAM, for what is it worth. Have you got the latest BIOS ?

Last edited:

Gozzy

I have a Laptop that said max memory = 4GB (2gbx2) I bit the bullet and put 2x4gb DD3 in..... it works beautifully..my guess is that their werent big enough modules at the time they released the mobo....

Best is to get one module and test....if it reads 1, then your good to go, I find that in most cases if your bios is up to date it shouldnt be an issue.

Go to your MOBO website, sometimes under release notes for new bios versions it will state
"* ADDED SUPPORT FOR NEW CPU XXX)
"* ADDED SUPPORT FOR X GB memory
"* FIXED STABILITY ISSUE

They normally never update the users manual....its all hidden in the release notes.

Pada

Executive Member
Judging by the question you are asking, you think you know what you are doing but clearly you do not.
What part do you reckon I don't know what I'm doing? Upgrading my RAM from 16GB to 32GB when my motherboard states its max is 16GB?!
Like what Gozzy said: I've upgraded quite a few machines with SO-DIMM memory past their memory limits: Mac Mini's & Dell Laptop. So I'm guessing that I can do the same with my desktop.

I'm running the MySQL server's database and Windows' temporary files off a 4GB RAM drive, and it really makes a big difference - more than what my OCZ Agility 4 128GB can offer.

And yes, the P55 chipset, should be able to use 32GB RAM, for what is it worth. Have you got the latest BIOS ?
I did mention that the memory was compliant with the P55 chipset, but nowhere did it mention H55 chipset, which is what I have. This is the whole reason why I'm posting this.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There I would go with Gozzy's approach.
I found reference on one site that it would support any DDR3 that uses 1.65 volt or less.
Not found anything that said it won't work.

Let us know

Regards Tim

Pada

Executive Member
... to those of you who said you cannot go past 16GB - here is the proof that you were WRONG :D

Rudimental

Expert Member
Oh I missed this thread. Lynnfield was when Intel started to put the memory controller on the chip itself. The chipset doesn't have anything to do with RAM at all. Of course, the motherboard bios could still limit things here.

I find it weird that 32GB works, though, since Intel lists 16GB as being the max for that desktop chip, with 32GB only for the Xeons. Maybe the chip is from just before 8GB DIMMs, which would explain the limitation.

Pada

Executive Member
@Rudimental: Either way, 32GB of RAM works beautifully with my i7 860 Desktop CPU ;)

Conack

Expert Member
I've got to ask though, 100% CPU usage and definitely on the way to push the ram limit there... How is it possibly working so hard?
What are you doing with that poor PC?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I've got to ask though, 100% CPU usage and definitely on the way to push the ram limit there... How is it possibly working so hard?
What are you doing with that poor PC?

He must be calculating the gravitational forces exerted by two black holes while working out what chance of rain on Venus on Friday.

Pada

Executive Member
I was just running a quick 7-zip benchmark to quickly utilize more than 24GB of RAM.

I'll be running a couple of VM's and IDE's - so my PC would probably use around 20GB of RAM during normal usage.

maxoptimus

Good if it work for you;
we had gigabyte with h55 and try diff. 8 Gb dimms and on Linux it booted and work some time and then reboot when rich more than 4 Gb address;
so guys be carefull with H55 and do deep testing after buy mem, etc