34 storey building for Cape Town CBD

capetownguy

Expert Member
Along with the estimated R30 billion development between 2008 and 2011 in the Cape Town CBD, the Portside Building by Louis Karol Architects has now been confirmed.

Last edited:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Looks impressive. But why's the pic called canal walk? - that's nowhere even close.

DJ...

Banned
It blocks the mountain! Awful idea if you ask me. Capetonians should nip this in the bud whilst you still can. Don't allow a precedent to be set.

Durban FTW

HiMyNameIs

It will be owned by Saudi's, and I won't be allowed there.

*doesn't get excited*

The same guys who own the V&A Waterfront?
They're taking over...although they do have the money to inject into the city, so its not such a bad thing if you ask me...

SlyFly

Expert Member
Mmm looks nice, isnt there a shell and or ford garage there at the moment?

Should inject some more money into that area and finish the flippen bridge, even if its not possible... Building looks nice, and lol at photoshop comment ;)

Also it wont really block the mountain few, there is a lot of tall buildings behind it and no one cares about the people that stay close to the harbour, they have the see to look at :D

onebrickshort

Someone has just lost their views. BTW something bad is happening in the CBD. It's slowly getting deserted.
Maybe it's a sign of the economy. Anyone noticed the profusion of to let signs

Last edited:

chopsky

Expert Member
It blocks the mountain! Awful idea if you ask me. Capetonians should nip this in the bud whilst you still can. Don't allow a precedent to be set.
Hell, Cape Town already has a height limit in place for its buildings. Table Mountain is over 1000m high. It isn't about to be blocked out. Screw that elevated piece of land, I want some man-made mountains damnit!

Just look at Hong Kong. A prime example of beautiful, tall buildings complimenting a mountainous landscape. If only we had the market for them...

onebrickshort

Just look at Hong Kong. A prime example of beautiful, tall buildings complimenting a mountainous landscape. If only we had the market for them...
Have you seen the size of apartments in Hongkongtallbuildings? They are midgets paradise

chopsky

Expert Member
Have you seen the size of apartments in Hongkongtallbuildings? They are midgets paradise
I'm not sure if you're trying to argue what I'm saying, or if you're just stating an interesting fact. Either way, I'm not referring to the individual size of the apartments, but rather to the overall size of the buildings.

capetownguy

Expert Member
The City of Cape Town is currently reviewing its density issues through a new policy providing incentives for higher density developments..with less(or is it more?) bulk.

The pic is labelled canal walk since i was uploading a model of the new canal walk extension/pods at the same time.

Turtle

Expert Member
*Sigh* .. SAns are anti-development, I swear. Some countries aim to try build the tallest building in the world, others ban building any tall buildings. Some try create developing thriving metropolises (sp) that fuel economic growth, alleviate poverty and attract investment in their prime spots, some ... um, ban such development. Some try mitigate high property prices and attract labor for said economic develoment by allowing high-density development, some ... ban it. Can we aspire to at least try have one world-class city in SA somewhere? You'll have plenty of high-rises to still see the mountain from ;) ... and there's still lots of good land around Cape Town for urban development.

What's also sad here is that this ONE solitary actually-modern-looking proposed building, amongst all the boring-looking ones, will be a foreign venture - not one bold, modern, progressive venture from the locals, no sir!