360 million newly stolen credentials on black market

cfilorux

Provider hacks or end-user hacks?

150 million gmail passwords from 150 million hacked computers sounds quite possible. To get plaintext passwords you generally have to hack the desktop side, intercept plain text passwords on the network, or insert code into the authentication checks on the server side. Server-side hacks are not that popular as they tend to disrupt operations and be noticed.

Last edited:

Executive Member
150 million gmail passwords from 150 million hacked computers sounds quite possible. To get plaintext passwords you generally have to hack the desktop side, intercept plain text passwords on the network, or insert code into the authentication checks on the server side. Server-side hacks are not that popular as they tend to disrupt operations and be noticed.
Gmail uses SSL.

me_

It's more likely to be a few mass attacks on popular services like Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Unfortunately we are very trusting and often use the same credentials for a number of services.

One of my email accounts was hacked last month for the first time. The hackers managed to get hold of the password (11 chars, lower case, upper case, special chars)... It wasn't guessed. The only places I use that combination are Facebook and my mail services so one of them got hacked.