3d Printers South Africa

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Whats the draw of a printer? considering a meanwell powersupply is rated 350W max

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Thats for PLA - might be a bit more with PetG or ABS... but can't imagine much,

karnuffel

Expert Member
Anyone here worked with Fil X SBS? Im getting a batch soon and Im quite excited to see how it behaves

avk

Anyone here worked with Fil X SBS? Im getting a batch soon and Im quite excited to see how it behaves
I've been using it on and off for a few months now. Quite happy with it after sorting out my initial major issue...

On my Ender 5 Pro though I had issues with the filament being crushed by the extruder gears resulting in flattened filament which the gear could no longer grab on to, so it sat spinning in place, grinding at the filament. Multiple failed prints at random heights. Was super frustrating. Finally dawned on me that the softer SBS is being crushed by extruder gear (especially due to retraction). However, on my 5 Pro there is no real adjustment to loosen it off on the standard extruder that came with the printer (mine was already at max), so I removed the little piece that centers the spring. Gave just enough play (about 1mm extra) to get good prints. Also reduced the amount of retraction. So just in case you have issues like that. I use it like that on PLA as well, no issues.

Other than that, I've been printing at the same settings as PLA/PLA+, other than:
- increasing the flow rate in my slicer to 120% on prints where I want it to be absolutely watertight
- lowered the fan speed to 40% max, 0% first layer and 20% for layer 2-5
- print larger prints with a brim as I got some lift in the corners

Still playing around, but overall not bad.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
Quick question for folks here that have been tracking the Elgoo Neptune 2S. I see this one getting amazing right ups for great factory QA and an almost flawless setup and print out the box experience.

It also comes with a slew of tiny little upgrades over the Ender 3 v2 while being a tad cheaper. Flex bed, metal tuning wheels, dual metal extruder etc.

Any thoughts on this one from the more knowledgeable folks? Narrowing down my first printer options in hopes of a Black Friday discounted purchase.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Quick question for folks here that have been tracking the Elgoo Neptune 2S. I see this one getting amazing right ups for great factory QA and an almost flawless setup and print out the box experience.

It also comes with a slew of tiny little upgrades over the Ender 3 v2 while being a tad cheaper. Flex bed, metal tuning wheels, dual metal extruder etc.

Any thoughts on this one from the more knowledgeable folks? Narrowing down my first printer options in hopes of a Black Friday discounted purchase.
I know their resin printers are rated quite highly, looking at the specs and price, seems quite nice to tbh, lots of tweaks and upgrades out the box.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Original Neptune 2 had some bugs. Not sure if the 2S is the revamped.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
Original Neptune 2 had some bugs. Not sure if the 2S is the revamped.

Those were all ironed out. I actually found quite a few threads about customers of the Neptune 2 having needed to mod their printers to work out the kinks, now being upset that Elgoo took all the tweaks the users made and made them standard for the 2S. Quite funny.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Those were all ironed out. I actually found quite a few threads about customers of the Neptune 2 having needed to mod their printers to work out the kinks, now being upset that Elgoo took all the tweaks the users made and made them standard for the 2S. Quite funny.
Lol, that's odd, the ender community is kind of opposite, your expected to make modifications and creality even encourage the tinkering.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
Lol, that's odd, the ender community is kind of opposite, your expected to make modifications and creality even encourage the tinkering.
That is honestly my own concern I have right now with going with the Elgoo. The E3v2 can be had for anywhere between R5500 and R6000 right now. The NS2 can be imported all in for R5300. The only issue is the local part support. There are a ton of parts for Creality printers available locally, and just about nothing for the Elgoo.

Will hold thumbs for a great special end of November. The E3v2 went for R4K last year at some sellers. I can only hope it goes that cheap again :(

Kosmik

Honorary Master
That is honestly my own concern I have right now with going with the Elgoo. The E3v2 can be had for anywhere between R5500 and R6000 right now. The NS2 can be imported all in for R5300. The only issue is the local part support. There are a ton of parts for Creality printers available locally, and just about nothing for the Elgoo.

Will hold thumbs for a great special end of November. The E3v2 went for R4K last year at some sellers. I can only hope it goes that cheap again :(
Keep an eye on diyeletronics, alternatively plenty on Banggood

safejack

Hi guys/gals

I am new to 3D printing and want to try my hand at, thinking of spoiling myself saw the ender 3 v2 on sale for R4999(still alot of moolah for me but seems like a good all rounder) , i have watched alot of reviews and read articles.

But was just thinking i should ask here what are your thoughts for noobie, especially with Black friday deals coming up.

howardb

Expert Member
Go for it!
It's a good all round printer. The hobby itself can be really frustrating, but join a few groups to get over any hurdles.
Once it's all tuned in, the hobby is great!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
It's about the avg but look around online, there's quite a number of good stores in sa.

I actually bought mine off banggood, international is also also option but keep on mind shipping and customs. Can still get a good deal though.