3d Printers South Africa

furpile

Expert Member
Got my first roll of SA Filament today.

So far so good - no issues printing. Didn't change anything - hotend/nozzle @200 degrees - bed @60 degrees

986b695e8ffc2fb09ebf5ca9dc343619.jpg
Made a rookie mistake. Replaced the nozzle earlier to see if my printing quality improves, and thought I replaced it with my spare 0,4mm nozzle. Since then the overall print quality went down the drain. Took the nozzle off now and realised my mistake, as it was a 0,8mm nozzle. Put the 0,4mm nozzle on and the PETG is printing nice and clean again. Will test the red PLA after this again.

Gnome

Executive Member
Made a rookie mistake. Replaced the nozzle earlier to see if my printing quality improves, and thought I replaced it with my spare 0,4mm nozzle. Since then the overall print quality went down the drain. Took the nozzle off now and realised my mistake, as it was a 0,8mm nozzle. Put the 0,4mm nozzle on and the PETG is printing nice and clean again. Will test the red PLA after this again.
I can "beat" you for rookie mistake.
I've forgotten a few times already to hot tighten with new hotends. And believe me, it is an enormous mission to clean the whole thing after.
Heat gun, lot's of earbuds, needles, chemicals and burning hands later and it is "clean"-ish, but never the way it should be if you hot tightened correctly the first time

I'm running a Revo now so at least that problem is behind me on the one printer.

Last edited:

eye_suc

Expert Member
I can "beat" you for rookie mistake.
I've forgotten a few times already to hot tighten with new hotends. And believe me, it is an enormous mission to clean the whole thing after.
Heat gun, lot's of earbuds, needles, chemicals and burning hands later and it is "clean"-ish, but never the way it should be if you hot tightened correctly the first time

I'm running a Revo now so at least that problem is behind me on the one printer.
Show us some pics man! The Revo's look awesome but dang the prices are eye watering

Username:

I'm busy with a project at home and I need to 3D print a few parts.

Which printer will get me going without too much frustration?

I don't want to go over say R10k

There is 2nd hand Prusa Mk3 on FB marketplace for R9k but it's printed 4km of filament already which I think makes it not worth while

I see 3d printing store sells a Prusa clone looking printer are they any good?

From online reviews it looks like Creality printers are not a good idea

Please help

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member

There is 2nd hand Prusa Mk3 on FB marketplace for R9k but it's printed 4km of filament already which I think makes it not worth while

Please help
I'm using the Creality CR6 SE, decent enough bed size and auto leveling. Not badly priced either. Weak point though is the extruder, the cap cracks on some, it even comes with a spare in the box. Bloody hard to put it together, getting the spring in sux!

eye_suc

Expert Member

Please help
I have 4 creality machines. 3 of them have been upgraded a bit. No issues I haven't been able to figure out for myself and googling.

The new Ender 3 S1 Pro's look very cool. Maybe have a look at those. As great as Prusa's are, the prices and shipping make it a tough pill to swallow. You can get a Mini imported for about the same price as then Ender 3 S1 Pro

Gnome

Executive Member

Prusa is the best brand for 0 frustration but I wouldn't buy it secondhand.
Because you are paying nearly full price but you don't get the benefits of the full price.
Namely warrant.

People are always asking outrageous 2nd prices thinking most of the purchase price is parts.
Most of that price is support and warranty, so if you aren't getting that, the discount better be excellent.

No, if you buy Prusa buy the original or don't bother.
The Chinese clone market is the lowest cost market.
Lower than buying Creality for example

From my experience, I wouldn't buy one again.
When it works, it works well.
When it doesn't work, you will not get support from the manufacturer.
They may even ship you a unit with an actual manufacturing fault and you wouldn't know, it would be on you to figure that out.
And trust me that can be tricky.

For example I had an Ender 3 v2 with a bad motherboard.
It would shift layers.
But how do you know it is caused by the motherboard?
Most online tutorial will talk about mechanical problems.

If you aren't buying Prusa then I guess Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro makes sense.
I would take the Pro due to the better extruder but YMMV.

But if you want a guaranteed trouble free experience, then Prusa MK3S+.
They even provide printing profiles and stuff so you have to do very little thinking

Creality *should* be trouble free, but when something is wrong, good luck you are on your own.
Also they definitely won't have as well tuned profiles as Prusa for printing.
Prusa out of the box is sort of a gold standard for good quality prints.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Prusa is the best brand for 0 frustration but I wouldn't buy it secondhand.
Because you are paying nearly full price but you don't get the benefits of the full price.
Namely warrant.

People are always asking outrageous 2nd prices thinking most of the purchase price is parts.
Most of that price is support and warranty, so if you aren't getting that, the discount better be excellent.

No, if you buy Prusa buy the original or don't bother.
The Chinese clone market is the lowest cost market.
Lower than buying Creality for example

From my experience, I wouldn't buy one again.
When it works, it works well.
When it doesn't work, you will not get support from the manufacturer.
They may even ship you a unit with an actual manufacturing fault and you wouldn't know, it would be on you to figure that out.
And trust me that can be tricky.

For example I had an Ender 3 v2 with a bad motherboard.
It would shift layers.
But how do you know it is caused by the motherboard?
Most online tutorial will talk about mechanical problems.

If you aren't buying Prusa then I guess Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro makes sense.
I would take the Pro due to the better extruder but YMMV.

But if you want a guaranteed trouble free experience, then Prusa MK3S+.
They even provide printing profiles and stuff so you have to do very little thinking

Creality *should* be trouble free, but when something is wrong, good luck you are on your own.
Also they definitely won't have as well tuned profiles as Prusa for printing.
Prusa out of the box is sort of a gold standard for good quality prints.

Who has stock of the Prusa MK3S+ in SA?

Gnome

Executive Member
Who has stock of the Prusa MK3S+ in SA?
Nobody, you'd have to buy it online from Pursa's web-site

Guess I got lucky (touch wood) with my Creality Ender 3 S1.

Thank goodness.
Yeah I'm not trying to make out like you can't get a good printer.
I think it is safe to say that less than 1% of printers have an issue.

I'm just painting the reality if something does go wrong.

Kola-CT

Printer set up, dryer was also delivered just now.

Couldn't resist so printed the rabbit off the SD card, did not change any settings and used the PLA shipped with the printer.

To my novice eyes, not fantastic but also not too bad and am looking forward to a lot of jigs and templates I will do for my workshop soon.

IMG_3676.jpeg

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Anyone tried the SBS Filament by Fil-X?

Did my first print with it today and I'm going to have to fiddle a bit with settings to get a better print.

I used the 220/70 heat setting with no fan indicated on the reel sticker and it didn't print as well as I'd hoped. Smoothing will have to be done using that citrus derived liquid (limo..something) since it doesn't respond well to sanding (material is too soft).

On the upside it is very light and strong, yet flexible. It's also non-hygroscopic so doesn't require special storage.

Last edited:

Kola-CT

Anyone know ho accurate the Sunlu S2's humidity number is?

If I go by that the new filament I opened and put in the dryer was at 60+% out of the vacuum pack which seems off.

Anyway, am happy with the dryer, prints are cleaner with less stringing after I had filament in there for a few hours or if I print directly from the dryer.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Anyone know ho accurate the Sunlu S2's humidity number is?

If I go by that the new filament I opened and put in the dryer was at 60+% out of the vacuum pack which seems off.

Anyway, am happy with the dryer, prints are cleaner with less stringing after I had filament in there for a few hours or if I print directly from the dryer.

I tested some filament that had been out for a couple days. Difference between before and after weight was 2g - that's 2 cubic cm of water!

Definite difference in print quality.

karnuffel

Expert Member
Anyone tried the SBS Filament by Fil-X?

Did my first print with it today and I'm going to have to fiddle a bit with settings to get a better print.

I used the 220/70 heat setting with no fan indicated on the reel sticker and it didn't print as well as I'd hoped. Smoothing will have to be done using that citrus derived liquid (limo..something) since it doesn't respond well to sanding (material is too soft).

On the upside it is very light and strong, yet flexible. It's also non-hygroscopic so doesn't require special storage.
Ive used a few rolls and love it. Im using a normal pla profile at 200 and 60. I lower my cooling and bump flow up to 110%