• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

3d Printers South Africa

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Going to learn more by building.
Maybe join some 3d printer groups on Facebook and decide from there.

The general a8 conversation is lots of work and frustration getting one going but good for learning how to. Also lots of upgrades required (so does not just cost R3k to get a printer).

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Have any suggestions on groups?

I don't want to spend a fortune and find out its a hobby I'm not really into (I tend to do that a lot)

Akirky

Expert Member
I have finally finished building my new printer, and been doing some prints. \o/ It has taken a while.

The printer is a CoreXY Hypercube, with a few of my own modes. Thingiverse link.

Printer.jpg

Benchy came out better than expected for a first run. Still some tweeking to do.

benchy.png

benchy1.png

I am running a PETG print as a trial, it was a bit tricky, but had lots of info in this thread to point in the right direction. Thanks [MENTION=177703]RedViking[/MENTION]

RedViking

Honorary Master
I have finally finished building my new printer, and been doing some prints. \o/ It has taken a while.

The printer is a CoreXY Hypercube, with a few of my own modes. Thingiverse link.

View attachment 537321

Benchy came out better than expected for a first run. Still some tweeking to do.

View attachment 537323

View attachment 537327

I am running a PETG print as a trial, it was a bit tricky, but had lots of info in this thread to point in the right direction. Thanks [MENTION=177703]RedViking[/MENTION]
Wow! Well done! I so badly want to build the Hypercube, but currently my money goes towards my music. I'll give you a shout, if don't mind, when I have finances again.

Any advice you can share on building the hyper cube? Maybe things you would have done or planned differently?

What did the total cost work out?

Akirky

Expert Member
Wow! Well done! I so badly want to build the Hypercube, but currently my money goes towards my music. I'll give you a shout, if don't mind, when I have finances again.

Any advice you can share on building the hyper cube? Maybe things you would have done or planned differently?

What did the total cost work out?
Thank you! Anytime on the help.

I printed all the parts in PLA on my first crudely built machine. I would like to reprint them in PETG when I get more familiar with it. I would also like to reduce the moving mass further with carbon fiber rods. The moving axis was also very difficult to square - the belt tensions need to be adjusted to pull it right.

For cost, I have scavenged 90% of the items from my previous machine, which i built for ±R5800, and added maybe R2K for the frame and odd parts on the rebuild. This excludes the Rpi that i use for Octoprint.

Mypro-D

Expert Member
Morning Everyone

I have just read the entire thread. Good info in here!
I want to get my girlfriend a 3d Printer. I have had a look at the Creality CR10-S, Wanhao i3 Plus MK2, Duplicator 6 Plus and the Prusa i3 MK3.

The Prusa MK3 seems to be the one to go for. The only place I can but is is from Prusa Research though. It comes to around 850 dollars.

Is worthwhile importing or should I just buy from one of the local chaps here? I am assuming because its a kit form there wouldn't be additional import fees, I would just need to pay Vat?

RedViking

Honorary Master
Morning Everyone

I want to get my girlfriend a 3d Printer. I have had a look at the Creality CR10-S, Wanhao i3 Plus MK2, Duplicator 6 Plus and the Prusa i3 MK3.

The Prusa MK3 seems to be the one to go for. The only place I can but is is from Prusa Research though. It comes to around 850 dollars.

Is worthwhile importing or should I just buy from one of the local chaps here? I am assuming because its a kit form there wouldn't be additional import fees, I would just need to pay Vat?
Just compare the prices with local ones. Also remember that with local you should also get warranty + support. Importing will bet Import Fees + Shipping.

http://www.3dprintingstore.co.za/3d-printers-upgrades/3d-printers/prusa-i3-3d-printer-kit/

Akirky

Expert Member
[MENTION=177703]RedViking[/MENTION]

With the PETG I am getting lots of filament jams. I need to strip the whole extrusion setup, and then find the filament bent and twisted in small gaps. I never had this with PLA, is it normal? Is the filament that much softer than PLA?

RedViking

Honorary Master
[MENTION=177703]RedViking[/MENTION]

With the PETG I am getting lots of filament jams. I need to strip the whole extrusion setup, and then find the filament bent and twisted in small gaps. I never had this with PLA, is it normal? Is the filament that much softer than PLA?
No it's not normal. I use a cheap hot end and have (touch wood) never had Fillament jam. Is it not possible that you Temps are too low? I think it should be between 240-260

Akirky

Expert Member
No it's not normal. I use a cheap hot end and have (touch wood) never had Fillament jam. Is it not possible that you Temps are too low? I think it should be between 240-260
I am running at 250, and it prints fine and then just jams. It is happening in the gaps below the tube gland.

spacer.png

I am making spacers 3mm high with a 2mm hole to close these gaps. I hope this sorts it out. I never had this with PLA nor the few ABS prints I have done.

saor

Honorary Master
Morning Everyone

To use for any specific kind of printing?

Mypro-D

Expert Member
I think its more of an entry level kind of printing that will be done. She's a mechanical engineer but enjoys industrial design and has mentioned making things in the past. Start off with basics and work up from there. In the past she has printed and designed some items at Stellenbosch for a prototype design for a medical company. They used a Makerbot but it was plagued with issues.

Thanks Red-Viking, I had a look at that but that printer is 3 gens behind. I had a look at this...
https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html

Its got great reviews but I cant find one locally.

RedViking

Honorary Master
I think its more of an entry level kind of printing that will be done. She's a mechanical engineer but enjoys industrial design and has mentioned making things in the past. Start off with basics and work up from there. In the past she has printed and designed some items at Stellenbosch for a prototype design for a medical company. They used a Makerbot but it was plagued with issues.

Thanks Red-Viking, I had a look at that but that printer is 3 gens behind. I had a look at this...
https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html

Its got great reviews but I cant find one locally.
When I first started looking at the Prusa's I also struggled to find the latest original Prusa. Maybe someone else can advice.

Mypro-D

Expert Member
Thanks RedViking, I think it makes sense to buy the latest version with the improvements.

Update: Placed an order for the Prusa MK3. Came to R 11500 with shipping Ex Import duties. I must say, for what they say about this little thing, thats not a bad price.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Thanks RedViking, I think it makes sense to buy the latest version with the improvements.

Update: Placed an order for the Prusa MK3. Came to R 11500 with shipping Ex Import duties. I must say, for what they say about this little thing, thats not a bad price.
Looks like a great toy, hope she enjoys it

Mypro-D

Expert Member
[MENTION=93521]AstroTurf[/MENTION], thank you, [MENTION=25919]xrapidx[/MENTION], Ill certainly keep you in mind ;)

This thread is great. I will certainly be following it.
I am quite keen to build this thing once it arrives. For me, that is more entertaining.