3d Printers South Africa

saor

Honorary Master
Hmmm, trying pla support for a tpu part.
The tpu flows quite a bit even after retraction but seems kinda ok for now.
Let's see.

saor

Honorary Master
Eh - not so nice at the interface.
Need to find the setting or change whatever is putting that slight gap between the support and the part.

howardb

Expert Member
Was excited when I bought a Micro Swiss all metal hotend for my Creality CR-10S4 as the reviews seemed good and my standard hotend was starting to clog after 18 months of continuous use. I primarily print in PLA now, but also want to experiment with some exotics soon, so took the plunge...

What a mistake - I can't say I'm at all impressed with the Micro Swiss, particularly given the hefty price outlay. I've already had printing down time of over a week, just trying to setup and tweak to the point that it actually prints something. I've adjusted everything on my PLA printing setup from retraction (tried ranges between 0.5mm up to 3.5mm), e-steps, flow rates, print speeds, hotend temps (from my standard 205C right up to 220C), tried different nozzles (Micro Swiss stock, brass, steel), fitted an all-metal extruder arm/parts, etc and the results in all cases are just dismal - stringing of note even with minimal retraction and speed adjustments. The printed parts look like constant under-extrusion irrespective of the settings used, no smooth bonding at all.

I've given up now and reverted back to a Creality stock hotend replacement - adjusted all the settings back to what I printed before fitting the Micro Swiss and the first print is again perfect at 205C. The Capricorn XS PTFE tube I purchased is also very over-rated; jammed/melted in the hotend at 205C clogging the nozzle and throat completely (fans were working fine), so reverted back to the standard PTFE bowden and harmony is restored!

Conclusion - a total waste of money with the Micro Swiss and the Capricorn PTFE - rather stick to the stock hotend and readily available PTFE tubes - a damn sight cheaper and give a much better result!

Update: added pics for reference.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
Latest Cura 4.3 release has some nice additions. Can change support structure direction, slow down on smaller features etc. Really cool for free software.

hjst45

Hi Guys

Im looking for a 3d printer in SA
Preferably with a bigger print bed
Any recommendations?
Don't have that big a budget for the Makerbot Replicator 1 (R38000)

thanks
Check out Gearbest.com

howardb

Expert Member
Finished printing all the pieces for the bottom Millennium Falcon hull, front mandibles and side tracery; all super-glued together and ready for filling, sanding, priming and base coat spray - with exception of about 10 days print downtime whilst waiting for spares/re-calibrating, it's taken almost 3 months of continuous printing at 0.1mm res. The assembled bottom hull dimensions are 1000mm x 720mm! The AA battery is for sizing reference...

Started printing the top hull pieces (another 3-odd months of printing...), then there's all the outer hull fittings, but will work concurrently on the bottom hull finishing/painting/detailing over the next few months.

Will post more as it progresses.

MF_B_1.jpg

MF_B_2.jpg

MF_B_3.jpg

Last edited:

howardb

Expert Member
My Wham Bam flex plate PEX/PEI sheet suddenly became a problem 2 days ago and PLA would no longer adhere, no matter what I tried (cleaned with isopropyl, 1200 grit light rub, etc) - was going to replace the sheet, but found this video from their site - how to refurbish the PEX sheet - tried it and it woks perfectly again.
Never had to do this before with previous generic PEX/PEI sheets, but thought I'd share if others have similar issues with bed adhesion ;)

saor

Honorary Master
PVA. Finally got a dehydrator to get the moisture out and this box to store it while printing to keep the humidity down. Really just a box with rollers and sachets of silicon desiccant stuff.

Akirky

Expert Member
My Wham Bam flex plate PEX/PEI sheet suddenly became a problem 2 days ago and PLA would no longer adhere, no matter what I tried (cleaned with isopropyl, 1200 grit light rub, etc) - was going to replace the sheet, but found this video from their site - how to refurbish the PEX sheet - tried it and it woks perfectly again.
Never had to do this before with previous generic PEX/PEI sheets, but thought I'd share if others have similar issues with bed adhesion ;)

I'm looking for a decent flex sheet. Where did you get yours from?

howardb

Expert Member
I'm looking for a decent flex sheet. Where did you get yours from?
From Wham Bam directly. Ordered the full kit for my S4 when they had their kickstarter, then ordered a spare spring steel plate and 2x PEX sheets from them ;)

PURE

I am looking to buy a resin printer, currently got an ender 3. Looking for more detail when I print miniatures.
Are there any places in SA selling anycubic photon or elegoo mars resin printers. And the normal stuff that goes with it like resin and films.

Or do I have to import a printer?

weelzSA

Expert Member
This may have been asked alot already but what is the best 3D printer to get started with and what is a reasonable budget to get started?

Been thinking of getting into it and looking online it seems so much has changed so thought I'd ask here for any tips or help etc.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This may have been asked alot already but what is the best 3D printer to get started with and what is a reasonable budget to get started?

Been thinking of getting into it and looking online it seems so much has changed so thought I'd ask here for any tips or help etc.
1. Ender3 or Ender 3 Pro

2. filament: https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/pla/1711-cctree-pla-filament-175mm.html

3. Also a PC with a slicer.

Best and most awesome free Slicer:
Download Cura

That is all you need to get started.

Then:

Optional control over printer from PC with usb printer cable and to send commands:
Pronterface

3D Models to print:

Fusion360 if you want to create you own models.

Lots of cursing in the beginning and asking why your prints are not sticling to the built place where we will ask you if you have check your temperatures, retractions, nozzel height and bed leveling.

At this point should have gone through the Troubleshoot guide as well as watched a couple of youtube videos.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am looking to buy a resin printer, currently got an ender 3. Looking for more detail when I print miniatures.
Are there any places in SA selling anycubic photon or elegoo mars resin printers. And the normal stuff that goes with it like resin and films.

Or do I have to import a printer?
I don't have money for this, but a google give quick results:

Both are trusted companies in the 3D printing online shop world.