3d Printers South Africa

eye_suc

Expert Member
Just picked up my Antec 4 on my way home from work (that's what I'm telling myself) ... and FIL X filament. Going to assemble tonight and dive into the plastic crack world of 3D printing.

Will build a shelf in the garage this weekend for it. Will get a fire alarm for safety sake ;)

Mostly printing inserts and pieces for my oodles of board games, and some enclosures for Arduino projects with the kids.
Nice! We require some pics, and some FLP as soon as you have some.

I've never used FIL X, but want to acquire some of their SBS. PLA temps but has some ABS properties. Please review the printer and filament :D

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Nice! We require some pics, and some FLP as soon as you have some.

I've never used FIL X, but want to acquire some of their SBS. PLA temps but has some ABS properties. Please review the printer and filament :D

Sure, will do a review once I've had experience as I'm a real 3D noob.

My initial experience on FIL X:

I'm a noob to all of this and this is the first time I'm using a 3D printer. The filament worked flawlessly for my prints.

Did the standard test dog print and then some thingy verse bookmarks (among us). Adhesion is perfect, with no bad printing marks (except a small one when the kids knocked the table the printer is on) and a smooth enough finish. The quality of the end product is what I wanted and comparable to the prints I see my wargaming group use for tabletop terrain.

Price: R265 from NextD

My initial experience on Anet 4:

The printer, well it was dead easy to set up. Took me 20 minutes to assemble, load filament and the first print took 2,5 hours - the test dog on the SD card.

Printed some bookmarks for the kids in under an hour. Kids are going to be keeping the printer busy during this holiday.

The printer is too noisy to keep in the house, will be going to the garage. The only negative thing I can say but I did buy it knowing I will get another one once I'm more experienced.

Hairspray:

Was told how important this is. First print, no hairspray. Second print, with hairspray (salon quality that is equivalent to Paul Mitchel brand).

Result: No noticeable difference

I feel this is down to the heated bed of the printer. I will continue to use hairspray as I've unlimited access to salon professional spray thanks to my wife owning a hair salon.

What I still need to test:

Priming: How well does it prime and will test Vallejo airbrush primer.

Rustoleum x2 primes anything, including water, so that would just be a waste of time, but I still use it for most of the miniatures I paint.

callisto

I read about the noisy printers here: I bought a used Prusa MK3, and I leave it running through the night in the bedroom next to ours, on a bedside table for now. All doors open, one shared wall (you get the idea). Just dial print speed down to 75% and we and kiddo fall asleep no problem. Which parts of the Ender/Anet type printers make the noise discussed above?

bar1

Expert Member
Hey guys,
Anyone purchased from Hype Direct - hype.co.za?
Looking to buy a Creality Ender 3 V2 from them but not sure how legit they are.
Thanks
I see 3dstore have stock again but they increased the price

RedViking

Nord of the South
Sure, will do a review once I've had experience as I'm a real 3D noob.

My initial experience on FIL X:

I'm a noob to all of this and this is the first time I'm using a 3D printer. The filament worked flawlessly for my prints.

Did the standard test dog print and then some thingy verse bookmarks (among us). Adhesion is perfect, with no bad printing marks (except a small one when the kids knocked the table the printer is on) and a smooth enough finish. The quality of the end product is what I wanted and comparable to the prints I see my wargaming group use for tabletop terrain.

Price: R265 from NextD

My initial experience on Anet 4:

The printer, well it was dead easy to set up. Took me 20 minutes to assemble, load filament and the first print took 2,5 hours - the test dog on the SD card.

Printed some bookmarks for the kids in under an hour. Kids are going to be keeping the printer busy during this holiday.

The printer is too noisy to keep in the house, will be going to the garage. The only negative thing I can say but I did buy it knowing I will get another one once I'm more experienced.

Hairspray:

Was told how important this is. First print, no hairspray. Second print, with hairspray (salon quality that is equivalent to Paul Mitchel brand).

Result: No noticeable difference

I feel this is down to the heated bed of the printer. I will continue to use hairspray as I've unlimited access to salon professional spray thanks to my wife owning a hair salon.

What I still need to test:

Priming: How well does it prime and will test Vallejo airbrush primer.

Rustoleum x2 primes anything, including water, so that would just be a waste of time, but I still use it for most of the miniatures I paint.
Oh, Anet 4 and not Antec 4. No wonder I couldn't find it.

My Anet is now in the cupboard. Dangerous? Probably. Silent. Much better.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I had an auto-correct that kept on switching it back to Antec on my phone. Driving me nuts when trying to search videos.
I was gonna ask you what is an Antec 4. But as someone who has been into 3D printing since 2017, I didn't want to be the stupid looking one in the room.

I am sure Antec will be able to make some nice 3D Printer shells.

1625767095301.png

RedViking

Nord of the South
View attachment 1103863

Candy dispensers. Really happy with the print quality on the Ender 6
Looks great. I am busy printing a knock box for my coffee machine. But have a feeling I am going to run out of filament. 2 day print on a rusty Anet A8. And I realised too late have the outer skin printing first and then the internal skins. Eish!

Would love to have the Ender 6

saor

Honorary Master
Meh - the tape around the lcd was bubbling and pushing the resin tank out of tolerance & causing some light bleed. Replacing with kapton tape...should hopefully block the light. Not looking forward to replacing the lcd when the time comes.

tr.jpg

saor

Honorary Master
Don't think this kapton tape is gonna work. I shouldn't be able to see the uv light behind it if it's blocking it right? Everywhere seems to say it blocks uv. Hmmm.

20210709_121300.jpg

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Ordered a rolls Funkiments ABS - here's hoping for the best :D

Also considering a CR Touch, over fighting with my damn bed every random amount of prints.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Ordered a rolls Funkiments ABS - here's hoping for the best :D

Also considering a CR Touch, over fighting with my damn bed every random amount of prints.
You wont be disappointed. I've gone through about 6kg of his ABS, loving it.

I do use my Creality Enclosure and Magigoo though, open bed in winter = sadness

karnuffel

Expert Member
I found profiles for the Ender 6 for IdeaMaker here. I have to admit I 100% HATE the layout of the Ideamaker, but the prints based on those profiles were pretty damn good. Almost no stringing.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
You wont be disappointed. I've gone through about 6kg of his ABS, loving it.

I do use my Creality Enclosure and Magigoo though, open bed in winter = sadness
Whole reason I made my enclosure, so hopefully pays off.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I found profiles for the Ender 6 for IdeaMaker here. I have to admit I 100% HATE the layout of the Ideamaker, but the prints based on those profiles were pretty damn good. Almost no stringing.
Flip. Only see now it is a semi enclosed printer. Now that is useless. Didn't realise top is open. See Banggood sells a top enclosure as well. Pricey.