3d Printers South Africa

eye_suc

Expert Member
Really nice. My kids would love it if I print one for them.

There you go! Was very fun to assemble and appears to work. Just make sure you can source some Nutella jars

B-1

Expert Member
Don't think this kapton tape is gonna work. I shouldn't be able to see the uv light behind it if it's blocking it right? Everywhere seems to say it blocks uv. Hmmm.

View attachment 1104215

UV light falls outside of what humans can see so no you shouldn't be able to see it. But kapton tape is also notoriously bad quality from most chinese manufacturers so I wouldn't trust that either.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

There you go! Was very fun to assemble and appears to work. Just make sure you can source some Nutella jars
Thank you, kids will empty out those nutella jars in not time ;)

Wife loves it.

eye_suc

Expert Member
How are you getting ABS to stick?
With a nice thing layer of Magigoo. It is truly amazing stuff. It holds onto the ABS at 110°C and once it cools down to about 70 or 60°C you can hear cracking as it is released from the bed. Will try and make a video of it and demonstrate.

Here are some pics of their filament @Other Pineapple Smurf

Early prototype spool. It worked OK but the glue sometimes gave way. This was very cheap to make, just a bit labour intensive to put together, then you wait for it to dry, THEN only you can wind it.
IMG_5557.jpg

Some PLA on the latest spool. Wood sides with printed core.
IMG_5556.jpg

Fully printed spool, printed in Funkiments ABS
IMG_5555.jpg

Action shot of another PLA spool
IMG_5554.jpg

His filament works out the cheapest per KG, but on top of that his tolerances are really tight. Once my spools are empty its a quick process of just slapping on a refill and I'm off to the races.

Here is a lil video I made to show how easy it is to slap on a new spool:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
What do you guys use for creating 3D models? I've been printing basic stuff from thingverse but now its time to start designing my own models. Mostly simple boxes with a slot for a SD cart to be used in retro computers.
Thought about downloading something similar from thingverse and modifying it but seems a mission to edit STL files.

I've started looking at FreeCad but looks way too complicated :(

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I'm going to start with TinkerCad as my wife wants me to print our house number and street name in large letters (will be priming and base coating so not worried about SBS durability in sun).

My teenager saw Fusion360 and he wants to give that one a go. Since he will be going to a high school that teaches technical drawing (old school metal work teacher there), if he gets into it I will look at upgrading if he hits the limit.

I also will most likely just be between Tinker and Fusion for the next while as most of my printing is basic letters, stock display units and Thingyverse mods.

RedViking

Nord of the South
What do you guys use for creating 3D models? I've been printing basic stuff from thingverse but now its time to start designing my own models. Mostly simple boxes with a slot for a SD cart to be used in retro computers.
Thought about downloading something similar from thingverse and modifying it but seems a mission to edit STL files.

I've started looking at FreeCad but looks way too complicated :(
Fusion360

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Thanks - will give it a whirl this weekend. I see there are lots of YT videos for beginners.

eye_suc

Expert Member
R225 per KG. NO STOCK.

Useless
He made loads of black PLA this week. All sold.
He cannot make filament fast enough, it is that popular.

I am a big fan of eSun. Funkiments is better, but that is only my humble opinion.