3d Printers South Africa

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I am a beginner....just to play around.
Looking for FDM.

As a newbie myself, only 6 days into this, I'm glad I took the advice from my local store and went for a basic printer to learn. For R7K, you can get a good printer for under R6K and then have change for plenty of spools to burn though (no pre looting required).

I went with the Anet4 as that is what my local store sells. The owner has not only given me great advice about 3D printing but also offers me after sales help.

Whatever you buy make sure you can get spare nozzles for cheap, and there is stock and that you can use any off the shelf filament - no chips or other crap.

saor

Honorary Master
I've been watching a few YT videos on Fusion360 and I must be dof. Just can't get my head around it. Any recommended ones to watch? Is it worth paying a few bucks to places like Udemy and watching their training videos.
(I'm a complete beginner with CAD, but have used loads of electronic CAD packages which are a lot different to 3D CAD)
AutoDesk also have a ton of free training videos but these all look like snippets. Not sure how good they are.

I know fusion allows you to create 3d objects (cube, cylinder etc.) but pretend for a second that that doesn't exist and assume this: Everything starts with a sketch (yes, like a drawing). Do some tutorials on creating sketches and you're halfway there. Imagine you're in a 3d space and you need to create a sketch, you would:

1.) Define a flat plane on which to sketch. This can be geometry or a construction plane (which is like an imaginary flat piece of paper on the x, y or z axis...or however you choose to create additional planes)
2.) You then sketch on that plane, making sure to properly define your sketch using dimensions & constraints (make these two points horizontal, make this line vertical etc.).

Once you have a sketch that's well defined, you can extrude or revolve that sketch to create your 3d geometry.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
@greg0205

Default startup, I need to create a sketch.
1.png

Picking this plane to sketch on...
2.png

Do my sketch...
3.png

Sketch is done...
4.png

Extrude the sketch as a solid...
5.png

saor

Honorary Master
I've been watching a few YT videos on Fusion360 and I must be dof. Just can't get my head around it. Any recommended ones to watch? Is it worth paying a few bucks to places like Udemy and watching their training videos.
(I'm a complete beginner with CAD, but have used loads of electronic CAD packages which are a lot different to 3D CAD)
AutoDesk also have a ton of free training videos but these all look like snippets. Not sure how good they are.

Try this guy, tho these videos are quite old.

Werfetter

I am a beginner....just to play around.
Looking for FDM.
Then something like any of the Creality Ender printers would not be a bad spot to start. Just keep in mind that this is not like a paper printer that will just work out of the box. You are going to have to learn and tinker. I am not too familiar with the Anet printers suggested but I am sure they would be fine if you can find spares and support locally.

saor

Honorary Master
Yeah, also didn't listen long. So glad I am not a noob. lol!
I hardly ever touch Fusion for modelling though (I use it for other things) - I find it quite frustrating to use, although I think it's fine if it's the first CAD software someone learns on.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I hardly ever touch Fusion for modelling though (I use it for other things) - I find it quite frustrating to use, although I think it's fine if it's the first CAD software someone learns on.
Autodesk Software in general is frustrating to use. But I do find Fusion pretty powerful for a free software for 3D printing.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Order from Funkiments on the way - looting and all - I need to get off my ass and print a spool

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I use a combination of Tinkercad and Freecad - would have liked to try Fusion 360, but - no Windows.

eye_suc

Expert Member
I know you can do this in CAD or Fusion etc, but I used this today to generate stl files for some text and it was super quick and easy

Oooh, nifty. Will keep this in my bookmarks.

Also look at Tinkercad. Very handy to make quick thingies. It also does text

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I know you can do this in CAD or Fusion etc, but I used this today to generate stl files for some text and it was super quick and easy

Similiar - used it recently

287a9b38b1fc2ee1d5799f898b4a46bb.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
@RedViking I see there is stock for black PLA at Funkiments, now is the time. 7 in stock

Not with these riots. Gonna have to wait before ordering stuff as it won't get here. =( Also need the money now to source food.

Thanks for letting me know though.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Not with these riots. Gonna have to wait before ordering stuff as it won't get here. =( Also need the money now to source food.

Thanks for letting me know though.
Ok, I'll order a bunch for myself and send to you when things subside. With a spool too.