3d Printers South Africa

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Yeah, I have seriously started considering just importing what I need. DIY seems to be out of stock of most of the parts I want nowadays in any case and ordering from multiple local online stores just don't feel like worth the hassle...
I did just that, ordered from Amazon - waiting delivery.

Not sure of the quality, but also added 50 various size and metal nozzles for R250. So overseas is also considerably cheaper.

jarrodr

Expert Member

Bought mine 2 months ago for R4999 and delivery took like a day.
It's R5499 now but I rate it's still a good deal considering it comes with 2 spools. Per spool generally costs R250.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
For Black Friday are 3d printers even discounted?

Thinking for sure of getting one but will wait if I can save a few bucks.

Sidenote. What are people's experience with Funkiments filament? I see it is cheaper by around 1/3 of sell price compared to other brands of PLA. Even if you have to provide your own spool holder :D

Werfetter

Sidenote. What are people's experience with Funkiments filament? I see it is cheaper by around 1/3 of sell price compared to other brands of PLA. Even if you have to provide your own spool holder :D
I posted a couple of posts back. I ordered a roll of Funkiments to test them out and so far so good. Has been a joy to print with.

On the Black Friday topic, I know for sure DIY has some pretty decent black Friday deals. You can save a grand or three depending on what you want to buy.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
I posted a couple of posts back. I ordered a roll of Funkiments to test them out and so far so good. Has been a joy to print with.

On the Black Friday topic, I know for sure DIY has some pretty decent black Friday deals. You can save a grand or three depending on what you want to buy.
Fantastic. Will wait for those deals hopefully. Likely will be the Ender 3 v2 most people go for as a first printer.

Happy to hear about the quality. Always nice to know the cheaper stuff still has good quality.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I see there is a new open source firmware for the Ender 3 v2. Some very nice features and a decent upgrade to the screen as well (Now with colour)

Just upgraded and there is a bunch of stuff for bed leveling which previously always messed me around.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

Bought my Ender 3v2 last year for R3999 from DIY.

B-1

Expert Member
Someone asked about printordie.co.za a few pages back. I made a order over the long weekend(7 rolls of filament, some electronics and other stuff) everything went well and was delivered quickly. Ill use them again in future for filament hopefully their selection of other stuff grows a bit as well.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Someone asked about printordie.co.za a few pages back. I made a order over the long weekend(7 rolls of filament, some electronics and other stuff) everything went well and was delivered quickly. Ill use them again in future for filament hopefully their selection of other stuff grows a bit as well.
Shaun knows what he is doing. Let us know how the Funkiments works out for you!

B-1

Expert Member
Shaun knows what he is doing. Let us know how the Funkiments works out for you!

Will probably be a while before I get to it as I have a few rolls I'll finish first and Im mostly focussing on my VzBot printer build for now. But I have a few bigger bits I want to print with the new printer in ABS so will give it a proper test when the new printer is up and running.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Need some help - My prints keep getting stuck mid-air, as if the nozzle is blocked, but it isn't.

I've tried.
1.) Different filament
2.) New nozzle
3.) Replaced the cooling fan
4.) Rebuilt the extruder, it was grinding into the metal (you can see the washer underneath in the pic)
5.) Checked the capricorn tube.

Can't figure out why it keeps getting stuck going into the extruder.

IMG_20210812_144848.jpg

xrapidx

Honorary Master
@xrapidx what temps are you printing at? I'm assuming that is PLA, looks slightly matt?
Funkiments Black PLA (but it started prior to changing filaments, I had some random brand PLA in) - printed at 190-210. 190 looked the best on the temp tower, went up to 210 in the hopes it'd help.

BUT - on that note, I noticed my heating block is leaking.

howardb

Expert Member
Need some help - My prints keep getting stuck mid-air, as if the nozzle is blocked, but it isn't.

I've tried.
1.) Different filament
2.) New nozzle
4.) Rebuilt the extruder, it was grinding into the metal (you can see the washer underneath in the pic)

View attachment 1125178
Check the pneumatic PTFE tube holders, the stock ones are rubbish on both ends and don't last long, causing partial clogs when the tube moves. I replaced all mine on my S4 and no issues now.

Also used some small zip ties to hold the couplers heads out (replacing those blue clips), ensuring the ptfe tube doesn't move/shift at all either end. If it moves even a partial millimeter from the nozzle end, you'll have issues

Also use a filament dust box, on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118), it clips around the filament before the extruder, to remove dust before it enters the bowden tube. A couple of pieces of small sponge for a kitchen dish cleaner will be fine in the box, can add a squirt of WD40 if needed for the dust to adhere to.
7661135c840ff6e7a200cf5ff50fcdfd.jpg

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Check the pneumatic PTFE tube holders, the stock ones are rubbish on both ends and don't last long, causing partial clogs when the tube moves. I replaced all mine on my S4 and no issues now.

Also used some small zip ties to hold the couplers heads out (replacing those blue clips), ensuring the ptfe tube doesn't move/shift at all either end. If it moves even a partial millimeter from the nozzle end, you'll have issues

Also use a filament dust box, on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118), it clips around the filament before the extruder, to remove dust before it enters the bowden tube. A couple of pieces of small sponge for a kitchen dish cleaner will be fine in the box, can add a squirt of WD40 if needed for the dust to adhere to.
7661135c840ff6e7a200cf5ff50fcdfd.jpg
Already done - but - rebuilt everything now with new heat-block and throat tube - see what happens. Printing a benchy to see what happens.

Now to see if I can get the old one clean :D

Going to print a new shroud as well, this ones a pain - removing the wheel to take it off.

I'll also do the dust thing, its on my list.... just never gotten round to it.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

I've tried.
1.) Different filament
2.) New nozzle

I've tried.
1.) Different filament
2.) New nozzle
6.) Rebuilt the hotend with new parts.

And its still happening :/ Printing a benchy at 80% size, and it prints perfectly until getting stuck at about 80%.
Only thing I can think of is disconnecting the PTFE tube from the extruder, and running 15odd meter through to see if it gets stuck, OR put the stock extruder back.

Changing filaments to check again - it keeps bombing out as it goes into the ptfe tube. Weirdly, almost the same time every time.
IMG_20210813_141354.jpg

IMG_20210813_141421.jpg

Last edited:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Seems to be a tolerance issue, changed to SA Filament and all is good... change back to the above and it gets stuck after about 1m of filament. I think my initial failure on the previous filament was a blocked nozzle.

Going to try a 2nd roll of Funkiments - and see what happens. :( What a mission this has been, almost rebuilt the entire printer.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Seems to be a tolerance issue, changed to SA Filament and all is good... change back to the above and it gets stuck after about 1m of filament. I think my initial failure on the previous filament was a blocked nozzle.

Going to try a 2nd roll of Funkiments - and see what happens. :( What a mission this has been, almost rebuilt the entire printer.
If you have a vernier, do some checks on the funkiments?