3d Printers South Africa

Kosmik

Honorary Master
What are you building?
I picked up a base Ender 3 for cheap a few weeks back, still in customs but getting the little upgrades together so aluminum extruder, springs, BL Touch and this is the upgraded board ( SKR 3 E v2.0 ) for quieter running, some steppers to do lighting etc, dampners , capricorn tubing , glass bed and some nozzles ( .3 and .2 ).

Two boxes of filament are black PLA, red PETG and I have white PETG incoming with the main shipment as well. Hopefully everything gets here by the long weekend. Also that it all doesn't get here TOO much before then or I won't get any work done,

B-1

Expert Member
I picked up a base Ender 3 for cheap a few weeks back, still in customs but getting the little upgrades together so aluminum extruder, springs, BL Touch and this is the upgraded board ( SKR 3 E v2.0 ) for quieter running, some steppers to do lighting etc, dampners , capricorn tubing , glass bed and some nozzles ( .3 and .2 ).

Two boxes of filament are black PLA, red PETG and I have white PETG incoming with the main shipment as well. Hopefully everything gets here by the long weekend. Also that it all doesn't get here TOO much before then or I won't get any work done,

Sounds like fun. Send some more pics when you get the rest.

bar1

Expert Member
Any idea where I can find Translucent pla? Preferably white, I see Rs have bit a bit pricy

xrapidx

Honorary Master
For a Google home mini.
584d4075490b6bb38f45284dbf5a33ff.jpg

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Nice.

Dying here now, everything has arrived but the printer, which has cleared customs. Installed CURA last night and played with a few models.

Arb question, I assume one needs to adjust extrusion speed when decreasing nozzle size? Any rule of thumb? ie: 0.4 -> 0.3 , decrease speed by x

eye_suc

Expert Member
Nice.

Dying here now, everything has arrived but the printer, which has cleared customs. Installed CURA last night and played with a few models.

Arb question, I assume one needs to adjust extrusion speed when decreasing nozzle size? Any rule of thumb? ie: 0.4 -> 0.3 , decrease speed by x
I didn't adjust for extrusion speed. By speed, do you mean printing speed? like 50mm/s?

In cura, selecting a different nozzle size will adjust everything you should require, but to defaults. The only thing you might want to do adjust your flow percentages to get some form of dimensional accuracy.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I didn't adjust for extrusion speed. By speed, do you mean printing speed? like 50mm/s?

In cure, selecting a different nozzle size will adjust everything you should require, but to defaults. The only thing you might want to do adjust your flow percentages to get some form of dimensional accuracy.
Printing speed is how fast the head moves? Or is it how fast the filament is extruded into the nozzle? The second is what I meant as I would assume being a smaller aperture, keeping the same speed would cause blobbing etc?

Werfetter

Printing speed is how fast the head moves? Or is it how fast the filament is extruded into the nozzle? The second is what I meant as I would assume being a smaller aperture, keeping the same speed would cause blobbing etc?
Printing speed affects the speed of the nozzle yes not the rate of extrusion. I might be wrong here but the nozzle size will only affect line width which you set in Cura. The actual amount that should be extruded is calculated (by Cura) based on line width, line height, flow rate, and probably a bunch of other things as well. The printer firmware does another conversion of that required extrusion based on the e-step multiplier. Basically, there are a bunch of things that affect how much filament is extruded.

As mentioned you should calibrate for the smaller nozzle which would mean calibrating the correct flow rate and e-steps for the new nozzle but that is something you should do any time you change any part from the extruder to the nozzle in any case.

Pretty decent guide to calibrating your printer. https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#intro

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Amazing how much distance fresh firmware makes. Stick on the sk3 refused to auto home or recognize the stops, first attempt at patched firmeare failed, shifted to stable release and recommended configs, all good. Now to print the bl mount and install.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I seem to be having an issue with filament reels. So I finished the temp filament that can with the printer and loaded up a sunlu pla black to do some mods. Pick having a similar issue as my weed water, every now and then the filament sits hot roll of because it's tracked on the spool. Do you guys roll portions of spool? Or just use the 1kg roll? Is this a cookbook problem or do I just have a bad spool?

B-1

Expert Member
I seem to be having an issue with filament reels. So I finished the temp filament that can with the printer and loaded up a sunlu pla black to do some mods. Pick having a similar issue as my weed water, every now and then the filament sits hot roll of because it's tracked on the spool. Do you guys roll portions of spool? Or just use the 1kg roll? Is this a cookbook problem or do I just have a bad spool?

Its hard to decipher that :) but if you are asking if a new roll of filament tends to unroll itself then yes its a pain with some of them being worse than others. A few prints in it should be fine.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Its hard to decipher that :) but if you are asking if a new roll of filament tends to unroll itself then yes its a pain with some of them being worse than others. A few prints in it should be fine.
Not just unroll, there's s twist in the winding so after a couple metres or less, it snags as the winding crosses

B-1

Expert Member
Not just unroll, there's s twist in the winding so after a couple metres or less, it snags as the winding crosses

You get that sometimes but its usually unlucky or crappy filament. Shouldn't happen often.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Actually trying to print the filament guide to help lessen the problem even :p

Cosmic_Nomad

I am in need of some help!

My main board has given up the ghost (2nd one in 3 months)

I would like to purchase a new one ASAP , I have cr10 v2

From DIYElectronics which would be the best to buy out of the following?

I don't want to buy the creality board which they do have in stock if possible.

What they have in stock are the following:

This is what I wanted to get, but as usual no stock in SA have searched !

https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/st...-32bit-controller-for-reprap-3d-printers.html