3dfx Interactive Acquired By Jansen Products, Returning After 20 Years With Major GPU Announcements This Week

Nod

Executive Member
Source: https://wccftech.com/3dfx-interacti...-20-years-with-major-announcements-this-week/
Last week, we reported a new 3dfx Interactive Twitter handle that claimed that the company was making a return after 20 years of absence in the GPU industry. Now, the same Twitter handle has claimed that the brand has been acquired by Jansen Products, an investment firm based in San Francisco, and is making a grand comeback this week.

Original twitter post with the news:

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Wait will 3dfx be a competing API to direct3d? Or are they just going the compatible route and have direct3 native support?

Since Riva TNT I haven't seen a 3dfx game and it died a quick and sudden death.

cguy

Executive Member
I doubt it’s real - IIRC, Nvidia bought all the IP and Trademarks (hence “SLI”).

cguy

Executive Member
Wait will 3dfx be a competing API to direct3d? Or are they just going the compatible route and have direct3 native support?

Since Riva TNT I haven't seen a 3dfx game and it died a quick and sudden death.
I doubt it’s real, but if it was they wouldn’t do something like their Glide API again, when D3D, OpenGL and Vulkan are so established.

Nirv

All they could really do is AIB manufacturing surely? Can't compete with silicon or anything else really.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I’m well aware of that - however, they wouldn’t be able to use SLI unless they owned the trademark.
Well they could've cause sure the Acronym is the same, but they are different architecturally.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
It would be nice telling your friends you have a Voodoo again.

Was always out of reach for the person who really couldn't spend the money back in the day. Kinda like a RTX card today. XD Voodoo just rings nicely.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It would be nice telling your friends you have a Voodoo again.

Was always out of reach for the person who really couldn't spend the money back in the day. Kinda like a RTX card today. XD Voodoo just rings nicely.
Depends on the RTX card I guess, I mean I have an RTX 2060 super, it wasn't super expensive. Back in the day I had a Voodoo 3 3500 that cost me about R2k. Man GFX cards were cheap back then.

cguy

Executive Member
Oh wow so they own the tech and some of it's underlying names but not the actual brand. So it could end up like that Commodore phone
Yeah, IIRC, they essentially gutted 3dfx, but didn’t actually acquire the company, which is probably why they don’t own the company name trademark.

Lupus

Honorary Master
3dfx’s SLI implementation was pretty terrible, but what a great idea.
Wasn't that bad, buddy had 2 Voodoo 2s in SLI it worked 95% of the time :). Better then what I could get out of my 2 8800gts I tried back in 2008