3dfx Interactive Acquired By Jansen Products, Returning After 20 Years With Major GPU Announcements This Week

Cray

Honorary Master
Still remember playing the original Tomb Raider with 3dfx glide, that was an impressive jump in quality.

dSxi6eS.jpeg

cguy

Executive Member
Wasn't that bad, buddy had 2 Voodoo 2s in SLI it worked 95% of the time :). Better then what I could get out of my 2 8800gts I tried back in 2008
Heh, it was certainly buggy. Not to mention all of that awkward profile stuff. What I mean though is that scan line interleaving is horribly inefficient, so scaling to 2x the FPS would be tricky. Even if they could have got it close back then, it would quickly have become useless as graphics hardware evolved (T&L, geometry processing, frame buffer and texture coherency, offscreen buffers, etc).

Quicks

Expert Member
I think I bought the 1st one Monster 3D something like that with 4MB Vram. Think it could only handle 640x480.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Heh, it was certainly buggy. Not to mention all of that awkward profile stuff. What I mean though is that scan line interleaving is horribly inefficient, so scaling to 2x the FPS would be tricky. Even if they could have got it close back then, it would quickly have become useless as graphics hardware evolved (T&L, geometry processing, frame buffer and texture coherency, offscreen buffers, etc).
Oh I mean by 2000 he was already starting to struggle :) and he'd only had the setup for like a year and a half. But for that year he was the king of FPS with his 2 12mb voodoo 2s :). Yes he'd have to switch drivers for games and such, but so did us with other cards.

Nuro

Expert Member
I'll never forget seeing Unreal and NFS 2 for the first time running on 3dfx hardware. We had one friend that had the card, rest of us plebs ran on software rendering. I wouldn't have 3d acceleration until my TNT 2.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Used to love how shiny things were on my voodoo 2 and banshee :)
My brother had a Voodoo Banshee and yeah things looked pretty, I got my Voodoo 3 shortly after. I sometimes miss the leaps we had in tech back in those days, I mean now it's like well it kind of just looks slightly better then previously or the newer cards just give you more FPS vs actually making the game shine.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
My brother had a Voodoo Banshee and yeah things looked pretty, I got my Voodoo 3 shortly after. I sometimes miss the leaps we had in tech back in those days, I mean now it's like well it kind of just looks slightly better then previously or the newer cards just give you more FPS vs actually making the game shine.

The games where designed to shine. The cards where always built one after the other to crunch more data quicker and quicker. More FPS is what enables developers to use more complex shaders, geometric detail (polygon count), physics, lighting an so forth.

I think you need to blame the gaming development industry more so if you're not blown away like you where back then. Not the cards.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The games where designed to shine. The cards where always built one after the other to crunch more data quicker and quicker. More FPS is what enables developers to use more complex shaders, geometric detail (polygon count), physics, lighting an so forth.

I think you need to blame the gaming development industry more so if you're not blown away like you where back then. Not the cards.
It's all the cards fault man, I mean just look at them, they are just hunks of plastic and metal

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Just saying there are definitely leaps in tech. Especially in GPUs.

Even though Nvidia seems to be hanging around something most people think of as useless, RTX is coming and coming fast regardless of whether the HLSL and GLSL shader devs like it or not. Sure you can make indistinguishable shaders. The point of it is to worry less about lighting a scene and focusing more on making more content that has spot on lighting.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Wait will 3dfx be a competing API to direct3d? Or are they just going the compatible route and have direct3 native support?

Since Riva TNT I haven't seen a 3dfx game and it died a quick and sudden death.

I remember being impressed by my TNT2 M64, and then seeing Diablo 2 running on my friend's older Voodoo 2 using Glide. Glide just looked so much better than anything else.

cguy

Executive Member
I remember being impressed by my TNT2 M64, and then seeing Diablo 2 running on my friend's older Voodoo 2 using Glide. Glide just looked so much better than anything else.
There are (and were) “Glide wrappers” that will allow you to get these effects on hardware that supports D3D.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Do you have a 3dfx SLI rig?
Yup.
  • Pentium II 400 @ 516 MHz
  • AOpen AX6BC Pro
  • 2x Voodoo2 OR 1x Voodoo 4500 (the 4500 is more convenient, as the board doesn't have enough slots for 3x PCI graphics cards, a sound card, and network card without all cards being one on top of the other, but the 4500 is a pretty stupid card, being too new to support the Glide games that really benefited and too slow to play contemporary games of its time)
  • 128MB PC-133
  • 80GB WD HDD / LG IDE DVD writer (the only non-contemporary hardware in the rig)
  • Samsung 17" CRT, I have a ViewSonic 19" CRT waiting for me. I regret disposing of my Dell UltraScan P1110 21" CRT, but it was too big/heavy to bring up from CPT
I even did a custom sticker for the side. Excuse the mess, this pic is from just before moving last year.

477ff6e4-ccf3-4b5f-8247-13df1260b712.jpg

And the cards themselves:

3ba257ab-e69e-427a-bd4e-5154c2b9dfbf.jpg

Mismatched, but run in SLI with stock 3dfx drivers. Not entirely sure how, but no need for FastVoodoo or similar. The Creative card (bottom) is my original, bought new.

I never got to run SLI "in the day" - it was only after 3dfx closed that I got the second card (Skywell, top).

Originally (late 90s, hazy on the exact timeframe) I ran the single card on a Celeron 300A @ 504MHz, but that board (Abit BH-6) died and the CPU got lost in the cleanout when I moved from CPT to JHB (different move, early 2016). The old RAM (128MB + 64MB unbranded PC-150) has also failed, so it's down to 128MB PC-133 until I get round to testing the few trays of SDRAM I have. I plan to run 256/384MB.

I rebuilt the rig two years ago so I can game again, as honestly nothing from the last 10 years has replayability equal to the likes of NFS2, Tomb Raider, G-Police, Kingpin, etc. I have big box copies of all plus many more - I'm desperately looking for an original big box copy of NFS3 (none of this EA Classics/budget re-release kaka).

It's been almost a year since moving, and work has kept me too busy to set it up again since. I plan to have it running by late October, though.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Oh, and I don't give the slightest crap about this "news" even if it turns out to be true and headed by Gary, Scott and Ross, and starts with the launch of a modern-day Spectre - it will NEVER be the company it was. I find it absolutely impossible to get excited about this, much like the guys making new Voodoo5 6000s.

That said, everything points to this being an elaborate hoax.