4 of the best messaging apps other than WhatsApp

newklear

Always preferred Telegram over Whatsapp but lately I find I am using Discord more and more.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Imagine how pissed someone must be to recieve a message so slowly......j.......o......u......m......a......s......e.......p...............
hard to believe communication across the Atlantic was once like this.

yebocan

Honorary Master
None of them except for telegram is an alternative.
Same secure encrypted Telegram service, that is causing a bit of a stir in Brazil....

The Intercept, which has a Portuguese-language offshoot that focuses on Brazilian news, said it had received a “massive archive” of private chats, audio messages, videos, photos and filings from an anonymous source.

It remained unclear on Monday how the messages, which were exchanged using Telegram, an encrypted cellphone messaging service, were obtained.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/world/americas/brazil-car-wash-lava-jato.html

rustymh

The moment ads gets on to whatsapp I'm uninstalling. Sorry for every, but will have then to force people to get me on Telegram. It's the best for years now. A lot more features and so cool.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I use Telegram 80+% of the time I'm messaging. WhatsApp is a such a bloody drag with having to fire up web.whatsapp.com on a PC and ensure my phone isn't sleeping too hard to lose the tethered connection. And with everyone and their dog thinking it's okay to WhatsApp me because they have my number.

I too wish that WhatsApp would just die. Hopefully the introduction of ads will greatly assist with people moving to Telegram.

Same secure encrypted Telegram service, that is causing a bit of a stir in Brazil....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/world/americas/brazil-car-wash-lava-jato.html
Almost certainly it was just someone with secure access to the chats doing a data export.

walter_l

It baffles me when I see a list like this that doesn't even mention Signal. IMO it should be first on the list, especially if privacy is a consideration at all. As it should in this day and age. Signal is open source, non-profit, and created by a crypto master who understands privacy and usability.

FB Messenger is a privacy nightmare (because FB). Viber doesn't appear to be much better. Telegram is OK, but doesn't do encrypted chats by default, which is a bigger deal that one might think. It also has less than a stellar record when it comes to its crypto.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It baffles me when I see a list like this that doesn't even mention Signal. IMO it should be first on the list, especially if privacy is a consideration at all. As it should in this day and age. Signal is open source, non-profit, and created by a crypto master who understands privacy and usability.

FB Messenger is a privacy nightmare (because FB). Viber doesn't appear to be much better. Telegram is OK, but doesn't do encrypted chats by default, which is a bigger deal that one might think. It also has less than a stellar record when it comes to its crypto.
Telegram only offers encrypted chats. By default it isn't E2E because the platform is cloud-based. But the connections and cloud storage are all encrypted.

theratman

Honorary Master
Use both WA and Telegram, telegram is far superior and I've noticed more people switching over to it. Hopefully I'll be able to drop WA completely.