40% students consider emigrating

kilo39

Executive Member
South Africa's severe skills shortage is set to become significantly worse as a major survey has revealed that 40 percent of final-year tertiary students are considering emigrating.
-
Student perceptions in the survey also suggest a huge degree of pessimism about the future of South Africa.

40% students consider emigrating Nov 11 06

Could we possibly have a more lame duck government? They say nothing and do nothing while allowing crime, non-delivery and corruption. We all know, when are they going to find out (and do something about it?)

tibby.dude

Executive Member
But yet the country and it's govt is still good enough to educate them to help them run to the UK.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
To be honest I'm surprised its as low as 40%, among my admittedly unscientifically valid group of student friends it'd be close to 100% for both "given 'a great deal' of consideration to moving to another country" and "'very likely' they would leave". Not surprising considering the way the governments running things these days.

sludge

Expert Member
Yep, there's very few people I know at my university who have a positive outlook for the future of SA.
It's sad, but it saddens me more that it's the truth.
Things are not looking good atm.

Inflation is set to go up again, interest rates too, the economic "revival" is over.
Crime is rampant, and the goverment refuses to give citizens the means to protect themselves. They can't protect us, and we are not allowed to protect ourselves!

We pay insanely high taxes in this country, lots of it in the form of indirect taxes.
We get taxed heavily on fuel, but we need to use our own cars, because public transport is useless and unsafe!

BEE and AA is not implemented properly and has caused a few to get rich while the masses are left in poverty.
How does an normal person see it? They see it as it is, they created massive poverty, lowered our peoples standard of living while their friends get stinking rich!

Why would someone want to live under these incompotent boobs?

Anyone who says this gov is compotent and able, is blind!

nGAGEd55

Expert Member
But yet the country and it's govt is still good enough to educate them to help them run to the UK.

Well if they need to be educated to run away, they don't have much of a choice, now do they?

sludge

Expert Member
I and many others do but then we don't miss Apartheid at all.
mmm... What a odd thing to say, are you impliying that I miss apartheid?

I did not grow up under apartheid. I am not racist, but you for some reason, think that critizicing the goverment makes you some sort of right wing nut!
Please tibby, go, grow up, go and THINK for once, the current gov stinks, but that doesn't mean anyone wants to revert to apartheid!

Drone 42

That's like saying the country and government is good enough to let them grow up and let them go to school. These people were born here and live here. Where else should they be educated. And I bet you the people that are considering to leave had no help from the government getting their degrees.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Hahaha, your such a comidian dude! :D

You forget that these (formerly white) institutions were built up by the apartheid regime and have a robbust foundations and are very protective of being independent from unneccesary government interferance and thus have not suffered much decline...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
After being previously employed in one of the largest universities in this country, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that most of them are so far from being independant that its just stupid, my boss just "happened" to be the niece of Thabo Mbeki, and the VC just "happened" to come from the MRC, as well as having being ousted from Wits. Still trying to figure out how any sane "company" would hire someone who was previously fired for lying on their CV, but anywho.

I unfortunately am also once again thinking of leaving this country, after reading that "column" from Loose Cannon. Not that I believe it or him, its just possibly the straw that broke the camels back.....

supersunbird

Honorary Master
After being previously employed in one of the largest universities in this country, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that most of them are so far from being independant that its just stupid, my boss just "happened" to be the niece of Thabo Mbeki, and the VC just "happened" to come from the MRC, as well as having being ousted from Wits. Still trying to figure out how any sane "company" would hire someone who was previously fired for lying on their CV, but anywho.

I unfortunately am also once again thinking of leaving this country, after reading that "column" from Loose Cannon. Not that I believe it or him, its just possibly the straw that broke the camels back.....
I didn't mean the upper management of the universities that do what ever it is they do, and anyway, lots of the middle and lower management is still white. And upper management hasnt interfered with the curriculum too much yet, if (and maybe when) they do these institutions will start falling into decline.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I think you may be very surprised as to just how much upper management has interfered with the lower orders, as well as the curriculum. Even if it hasn't been felt too much yet... the one thing that has though is the moral at these institutions, its falling rapidly and the staff turn-over is getting higher and higher all the time...

Reason

Some thoughts

Well here were the report is supposed to be
www.idasa.org.za/Output_Details.asp?RID=675&PID=2&OTID=4

Sadly it does not work.

I would like to add the following
document into the discussion. Caution, it is a word document.

From this document it I would like to bring out several important facts.
The thing that is most interesting to me is that 40% of the white population earns less R35,000.00 a year.

It seems not all whites are rich hey?

Interesting there are more blacks earning R35,000.00 a year or more (3,5 million) than there are whites (3.25 million).

The amount of whites in the lowest income groups climbed 30% and the amount of blacks in the lowest income groups decreased by 16%. Considering the disparateness of the population numbers of white and black (4.5 million) and 30 million that is huge difference.

In 2001 the percentage of black people in the civil service increased to 86%

The civil service spends 25% of its procurement budget on consultants.

60% of empowerment deals in 2003 went to two people Tokyo Sexwale and Patrice Motsepe.

Black South Africans control virtually all levels of government and of public administration representing 28% of GDP.

The number of graduates from South African universities doubled from 478 198 in 1992 to 975 993 in 2001.

According to a survey conducted by the Institute for Race Relations, the number of Black graduates increased by 259% between 1991 and 2002, Indians by 104%, and coloured graduates by 27% and the number of white graduates declined by 11%.

Whilst all students in all countries showed very high levels of patriotism and pride in their identity as citizens of their own country (80%), and felt committed to the future of development of their country; 79% of students had considered moving to another country when they graduated, and only 17% had never considered it. (This is a reference to the SADC region not SA)

In short, we can see some the effects the governments policies have had. Such significant progress in black upliftment is laudable, however the question should be is it necessary to punish the whites through punitave actions to acieve the upliftment. Can the upliftment not take place without retribution.

If it cannot, why should we stay to be the victims of the retribution, especially as the end for it is not in sight.

OhGats

South Africa's severe skills shortage is set to become significantly worse as a major survey has revealed that 40 percent of final-year tertiary students are considering emigrating.

Well, logic says to me that if you do go study at varsity and do eventually qualify and there is no job for you in SA to practise your newly learnt skills, its kinda stupid to go out and sell plastic helicopters and feather dusters on street corners when you could go overseas and actually find work in the field that you have qualified in, it does not help you stay here because of some misguided belief that you actually owe it to the education system to remain behind and then being jobless after all those years of studying. If another country is willing to utilise your skills irrespective of your "advantaged status" then go for it, because this country sure aint interested.

Vatniek

The people who now talk about staying seem to be the same or same type who denied apartheid was bad.

krycor

Honorary Master
yah.. reason i wanna go is partially cause well telecoms sucks in SA for last few yrs and gov is not making things any better. So why sit stay and risk crime affecting you when u can go travel and earn and do something exciting for a handful of yrs? Most people i speak to who have gone over or a going are all setting their hopes on 2010 as the cut off for SA. ie if by then this gov is still the same[not the party but at least their lack luster performance in getting things done] then why waste your youth here? The world is big, there's plenty to see.

K

kingrob

yah.. reason i wanna go is partially cause well telecoms sucks in SA for last few yrs and gov is not making things any better. So why sit stay and risk crime affecting you when u can go travel and earn and do something exciting for a handful of yrs? Most people i speak to who have gone over or a going are all setting their hopes on 2010 as the cut off for SA. ie if by then this gov is still the same[not the party but at least their lack luster performance in getting things done] then why waste your youth here? The world is big, there's plenty to see.
Yes, I agree, it's a big world out there, if you're young - go and take it by the horns!!

This country is rapidly falling apart, I really don't know how we can still have a workable economy with all the crime & corruption taking place.

Turbo_Aspiration

Expert Member
Well, logic says to me that if you do go study at varsity and do eventually qualify and there is no job for you in SA to practise your newly learnt skills
Where does this logic come from? All of my friends that are graduating this year and looking for work have found jobs and will start working next year. These are people of all races

cyberarmy

Expert Member
My good friends doing studying towards their CA(SA) are not staying, all have plans to go overseas, me 2.....