450GB for R59 valid 30 days

Gavin1205

The 450gig data offer was never "officially" announced and advertised by Telkom hence only a "lucky few" could purchase this. And still no official way of knowing how to acquire this deal, whether it's based on tariff plan, age of sim, airtime/data purchases etc. All depends on luck every time when going through *123# as the deals also change timeously without notice.

HerZeLeiD

The 450gig data offer was never "officially" announced and advertised by Telkom hence only a "lucky few" could purchase this. And still no official way of knowing how to acquire this deal, whether it's based on tariff plan, age of sim, airtime/data purchases etc. All depends on luck every time when going through *123# as the deals also change timeously without notice.

It's definitely NOT based on tariff plan, age of sim or even the data deals you buy as people have been getting the 450gb deals for the FIRST time on a brand new sim. Pretty much all of the deals are a random draw IMO. Perhaps 450GB isn't rare, but just as likely to get as any of the others? Every time I get another wave of deals it's always different, never the same. For instance, I've only had the 1GB R12 deal once. Obviously having 5 sims you increase your chances, just like the lotto.

troublezn

Any chance did you guys change the tariff plan to smart wireless broadband in the *180# menu. That's way I got the 450gig offer.

I O U

@troublezn - you or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong ; I got a new Telkom LTE/4G card today and don't recall seeing the option to select it. When you select that *180# menu and then opt to purchase data on Mo Nice (or whatever it's called), it simply lists what's on offer.

On my Telkom 3G SIM, I'm sure I was able to select the Smart Broadband Wireless and go on from there to opt for the 500GB / 450GB, many months ago.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Could be tower related.
I have some really nice ones, 2GB @R25 for 30 days and 1GB @R12 for 14 days, too bad I don't even use the 1GB that comes with the FreeMe.

troublezn

I purchased a new prepaid sim 2 months back. The *180# is only for changing tariff, after I changed the tariff I was given the option to buy the 450gig data bundle. It does not work on my contract sim.
976c8cdb25f4c12f074b60ab54dfd830.jpg

Swa

Honorary Master
So first 500GB for R50 and now 450GB for R59.

I O U

I purchased a new prepaid sim 2 months back. The *180# is only for changing tariff, after I changed the tariff I was given the option to buy the 450gig data bundle. It does not work on my contract sim.

*180# is not only for changing tariffs.
However, main reason for posting is that I put the 4G/LTE SIM I got recently, into a phone a few minutes ago, then:

Option # 5 (is for Tariff Change)

Then :
1 - to View Current Tariff
2 - Change Current Tariff

(After selecting # 1) ... Your current tariff is :
SmartBroadband Wireless prepaid
1) Return to main menu
2) Exit

If I select to change the tariff, the 2 options given are :
Telkom More
SIM Sonke

I don't see the 450GB option anywhere if I go to any of the bundle purchases.
Therefore, like others stated previously in this thread, it's probably hit & miss as to it being made available on any of the new SIMs purchased. There was a time when (I think) it was showing up on all Telkom SIMs sold, if you changed to SmartBroadband Wireless. (That's how I got it on a 3G SIM bought last year, and it's still available on that).

namzsteve

Expert Member
I plan to top-up with R55 airtime this PM (have R4 left on 3G SIM), then use it from this weekend, so yes .. me & a few others, at least :)

I just couldn't keep up with the gamble, one month it is visible, the following month it's gone.

Swa

Honorary Master
Wanted to check on my sim but it's no longer active. It seems Telkom is doing the same Vodacom did giving out random bundles. You'd happen to find a bundle at a certain rate and when it was finished you couldn't buy another one and had to wait for the next time it came around.

I O U

The SIM I had that I thought was provisioned 3G only is in fact 4G capable. Realised, unlike the last time I used it, I now had a 4G phone to put it into and test out. The phone's nothing special (a Vodacom-branded one, Model VFD 500, which was a replacement for a Smart Turbo that went in due to mic/speaker faults).

Downloaded the MyBroadband app and extremely pleased with the results on the 450GB prepaid:
(if I attmpt to d/load a .csv file, the data comes out all jumbled so will simply 'quote' from the results)

To compare, tested my ADSL :
1.94Mbps (down) ; 0.43Mbps (up) ; Ping: 44

Then at various times this weekend, using the 4G SIM in the phone, got:
34.87Mbps (down) ; 19.51Mbps (up) ; Ping: 30 (presumably high ping bec. far away from MyBB servers in JHB or CPT?)
13.49Mbps (down) ; 18.92Mbps (up) ; Ping: 29 (don't know what happened to d/load here, but can live with just under 14Mbps generally, anyway).
34.51Mbps (down) ; 19.65Mbps (up) ; Ping: 29
38.03Mbps (down) ; 16.38Mbps (up) ; Ping: 30

When I plugged the phone into a USB & connected it to a laptop running Linux Peppermint 9, on d/loads for YouTube vids. I've reached as high as 50.49Mbps down, and it's regularly at between 38 - 46Mbps.
(even though a cheap phone, it has a great feature when selecting the tethering option, to select the tethering type, so you can choose between Windows (RNDIS) and Linux (EEM). Peppermint picks up the USB connection within a few secs. - absolute pleasure.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Unfair comparison to compare your capped speed ADSL to uncapped speed LTE.

I O U

Unfair comparison to compare your capped speed ADSL to uncapped speed LTE.

I really wanted to see (compare) if the MyBB app showed the ADSL up & down to be as accurate as I've measured it in the past, so didn't elaborate on "compare", but never an intention to compare against the mobile 4G/LTE. Sorry if seemed misleading.

Gavin1205

Any chance did you guys change the tariff plan to smart wireless broadband in the *180# menu. That's way I got the 450gig offer.

It's not dependent on tariff unfortunately as I've been on smart bb since day 1.

BayCityRoller

It's not dependent on tariff unfortunately as I've been on smart bb since day 1.

Think the 'plan' itself (as in the SmartBB) was meant more than the 'tariff' (change from the orig. R50 to R59) in that statement, because I remember when it was originally offered it had to be manually activated to get hold of ... on my SIM, anyway.

BayCityRoller

I still had this 450GB in use on a SIM until about 2 weeks ago.
Didn't try repurchasing it immediately again, as have been using up last month's Afrihost (MTN) data since then.

Checked this Telkom SIM earlier tonight & best offer via *123# is 100GB at R149 night surfer - not that this is terrible (because most I could ever use in a month was around that), but seems the 450GB is gone for good, for me.

Could trying Mo Nice's USSD code every few days, or the transition from July to August brings it back, miraculously ?
I live in hope ....

Tried a 2nd Telkom SIM on *180# and get the same measly :) 100GB offer for night surfer.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu