450GB for R59 valid 30 days

marlon1029

I still had this 450GB in use on a SIM until about 2 weeks ago.
Didn't try repurchasing it immediately again, as have been using up last month's Afrihost (MTN) data since then.

Checked this Telkom SIM earlier tonight & best offer via *123# is 100GB at R149 night surfer - not that this is terrible (because most I could ever use in a month was around that), but seems the 450GB is gone for good, for me.

Could trying Mo Nice's USSD code every few days, or the transition from July to August brings it back, miraculously ?
I live in hope ....

Tried a 2nd Telkom SIM on *180# and get the same measly :) 100GB offer for night surfer.
You are not the only one, mine still showed about 5 days ago on both my Telkom SIMS. And now it shows the 100Gb for R149. The one sim showed the new deal first, and then I checked my SIM that I normally buy the 450GB on, and it was still there. Now its gone
I currently have an active 450GB for R59 that expires in 4 days with 72GB still available and didn't think of buying another one. Probably should've.

Guess R149 for 100Gb is not that bad, but that deal was awesome.

James946

You are not the only one, mine still showed about 5 days ago on both my Telkom SIMS. And now it shows the 100Gb for R149. The one sim showed the new deal first, and then I checked my SIM that I normally buy the 450GB on, and it was still there. Now its gone
I currently have an active 450GB for R59 that expires in 4 days with 72GB still available and didn't think of buying another one. Probably should've.

Guess R149 for 100Gb is not that bad, but that deal was awesome.
I have tried the new 100GB deal, speed is capped heavily

• Angry
Reactions: Yuu

Kiemo

Guys please don’t tell me they taking away that 450 deal I just bought that deal on the 28th of this month ... I hope when it expires I’ll have it again seems you guys are telling me differently

Jake45

Expert Member
I luckily still have the 450GB bundle listed as an option. If you use it heavily I think they may remove it permanently.

I used to use several of the small Mo'Nice data bundles quite regularly but these have disappeared and I am now only offered an 800MB bundle which isn't as flexible. I now use the Mo'Nice bundles a lot less frequently than before!

BayCityRoller

I have tried the new 100GB deal, speed is capped heavily
What are the max. down / upload speeds on this newer 100GB option, you've experienced ?
(or anyone else on the forum). I can still easily live with 10 or 20 Mbps down.

And, have you tried switching between the 1800 and 2300 MHz spectrum's ?
Surely there should still be a difference, regardless of which package one's on ?

1800 usually has lower download / higher upload speeds on Telkom ; 2300 generally can attain up to 4G+ speeds (over 100 Mbps), but limited to around 8 Mbps up ... for me, anyway.

Reactions: Yuu

James946

What are the max. down / upload speeds on this newer 100GB option, you've experienced ?
(or anyone else on the forum). I can still easily live with 10 or 20 Mbps down.

And, have you tried switching between the 1800 and 2300 MHz spectrum's ?
Surely there should still be a difference, regardless of which package one's on ?

1800 usually has lower download / higher upload speeds on Telkom ; 2300 generally can attain up to 4G+ speeds (over 100 Mbps), but limited to around 8 Mbps up ... for me, anyway.
I get 1-2mbps from 12-1 then 10mbps from 1-5 and then back to 1-2mbps during 5-7. Changing bands do not work since I have a different telkom sim running at 70mbps using normal data

Kiemo

I get between 2 and 5 Download and upload seems poor on the 2300mhz

hopefully this isn’t taken away from my sim I’ll check but I don’t download big ...

Jake45

Expert Member
I get between 2 and 5 Download and upload seems poor on the 2300mhz

hopefully this isn’t taken away from my sim I’ll check but I don’t download big ...
How often do you purchase the 450GB for R59? Have you been using it regularly for several years?

From my limited experience it would appear that as soon as you start using one of the Mo'Nice products regularly, they remove that option and then try to get you to purchase another bundle which is always more expensive! I think that the Afrihost/MTN 30+30GB package for R199 would be a better choice for most customers than the 100GB Night Surfer Mo'Nice bundle for R149 from Telkom.

BayCityRoller

I get 1-2mbps from 12-1 then 10mbps from 1-5 and then back to 1-2mbps during 5-7. Changing bands do not work since I have a different telkom sim running at 70mbps using normal data
Thanks for the info. - considering getting the 100GB in the next few weeks to test out & see if 10 Mbps max. is acceptable for only 4 hours a night !

BayCityRoller

From my limited experience it would appear that as soon as you start using one of the Mo'Nice products regularly, they remove that option and then try to get you to purchase another bundle which is always more expensive!

I think that the Afrihost/MTN 30+30GB package for R199 would be a better choice for most customers than the 100GB Night Surfer Mo'Nice bundle for R149 from Telkom.
Jake, it's not exactly how I experienced the 450GB option.
Initially, when I converted a normal Telkom SIM to SmartBroadband Wireless, I got the 450GB ; used it for a number of months, then didn't bother for some time, and when I next checked, it was gone (this was all probably until around mid-2019 - can't remember exactly).

Then, I had reason to get what for me was quite a lot of mobile data (60GB + 60GB).
After that, I checked the Mo'Nice deals, and the 450GB reappeared. Been using it since then, on & off, until most recently when it was replaced by the 100GB @ R149.

Don't think they'll bring it back, but will test the waters in the next few weeks ... however, that'll be on a normal Telkom SIM only, as I can get the 100GB @ R149 on it ; I do get the Mo'Nice option on that but the selections are terrible in comparison to the ''dedicated" SIM.
I'm therefore hopeful that Mo'Nice will improve thereafter as a result, and maybe the 450GB will return !?

I'm most interested in determining if my speeds are the same as @James946 reported, or if it's just a regional thing ?

Jake45

Expert Member
Keep us posted particularly if the 450GB reappears. I also rarely buy the 450GB bundle but it has always been available on two of my SmartBroadband Wireless SIMs ever since the product was introduced. My guess is that they will remove it if I start to use it every month. I don't get very good speeds on Telkom as I don't have good coverage so I only use it when I need to make a few downloads. I don't think that I have ever used more than 75GB per month.

I thought that Telkom would have offered some decent 7 or 14 day Mo'Nice bundles during the lockdown as they were given a lot of additional spectrum in bands which they are currently using but they haven't offered consumers anything!

Rain claims that they could have used the temporary spectrum if they had been given what they requested. Considering that none of the other cell phone companies have done much with the free spectrum I don't know why Icasa doesn't reassign the temporary spectrum and give Rain exactly what they initially requested on condition that it is put to use within a short period of time.

James946

Thanks for the info. - considering getting the 100GB in the next few weeks to test out & see if 10 Mbps max. is acceptable for only 4 hours a night !
Just found this. No idea why telkom would put a speed cap on a nightsurfer bundle but oh well...

Kris_BL

((Firstly)) if you want to test if something (like a data bundle) works on 3G too, all you do is go to SETTINGS»NETWORK» & turn off the "Enable 4G" option...
Your phone will automatically register itself on the same network's 3G signal.

((Secondly)) When TELKOM says a data bundle is limited to "TELKOM Mobile Data" only, that clearly means that the offer can Not be used when you're roaming via MTN's network...

((& Finally))
~ TELKOM's mo'nice bundles are Not the same for all their clients...
According to TELKOM, mo'nice bundles are calculated based on each individual number/client's spending history. thát calculation is done automatically by their billing system & no call centre rep, supervisor or even walk-in store manager has any way of changing that for you *it is calculated/allocated by a computer, not by someone who works at HellKom.

Kiemo

How often do you purchase the 450GB for R59? Have you been using it regularly for several years?

From my limited experience it would appear that as soon as you start using one of the Mo'Nice products regularly, they remove that option and then try to get you to purchase another bundle which is always more expensive! I think that the Afrihost/MTN 30+30GB package for R199 would be a better choice for most customers than the 100GB Night Surfer Mo'Nice bundle for R149 from Telkom.
I buy it every month but don’t use it much .. but every month I get it ...

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I spent R150 on data for one month over 18 months ago ever since then only giving deals that requires me to pay R150 if I want data that lasts me a month