4chan DDoS Takes Down MPAA and Anti-Piracy Websites

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Written by enigmax on September 18, 2010

Following a call to arms yesterday, the masses inhabiting the anonymous 4chan boards have carried out a huge assault on a pair of anti-piracy enemies. The website of Aiplex Software, the anti-piracy outfit which has been DDoSing torrent sites recently, is currently down having been DDoS’d. They are joined in the Internet wasteland by the MPAA’s website, also currently under huge and sustained attack.

Don’t mess with the Internet they say. Well, actually stronger terms than that are often used, but the end result is the same. When people get organized on the Internet, very strange and powerful things can happen and in few places can this be more true than on the 4chan message boards.

Sometimes things need sorting out, and what better way than getting hundreds of thousands of anonymous users of this notorious message board to work together to achieve it. If they’re not trying to bring down Scientology, they’re teaching foul-mouthed pre-teen girls a lesson or using their combined forces to destroy the lives of stupid bankers who think it’s ‘funny’ to throw cats in the trash.

Yesterday two new targets hit the radars of ‘Anonymous’, the faceless and powerful hordes who carry out 4chan attacks. The beauty is that anyone can join in the action, 4chan ‘membership’ is not even required. People wishing to participate can simply load up their Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC) and enter the IP address they want to attack. The resulting assaults are massively distributed making defending against them almost impossible.

Yesterday’s target one was everyone’s favorite Indian anti-piracy company, AiPlex Software. A completely unknown entity until a couple of weeks ago when they stupidly admitted to DDoSing uncooperative torrent sites (then unsuccessfully trying to backtrack), it seems their rise to fame came at a price.

Following claims that AiPlex had DDoS’d The Pirate Bay, a few hours ago their website was taken down and remains that way at the time of writing. Along with the downtime came this message (pic):

How fast you are in such a short time! Aiplex, the bastard hired gun that DDoS’d TPB (The Pirate Bay), is already down! Rejoice, /b/rothers, even if it was at the hands of a single anon that it was done, even if ahead of schedule. now we have our lasers primed, but what do we target now?

We target the bastard group that has thus far led this charge against our websites, like The Pirate Bay. We target MPAA.ORG! The IP is designated at “216.20.162.10″, and our firing time remains THE SAME. All details are just as before, but we have reaimed our crosshairs on this much larger target. We have the manpower, we have the botnets, it’s time we do to them what they keep doing to us.

REPEAT: AIPLEX IS ALREADY DOWN THANKS TO A SINGLE ANON. WE ARE MIGRATING TARGETS.
While it’s claimed that AiPlex was taken down by a single attacker, the ongoing assault on the MPAA.org website is definitely a group effort. The site was attacked on schedule (9pm eastern time yesterday) and taken down in minutes. It remains down at the time of writing.

Update: After 18 hours the MPAA moved its site to a new IP-address, which means it’s up again. More news coming up tomorrow.

http://torrentfreak.com/4chan-ddos-...tm_campaign=Feed:+Torrentfreak+(Torrentfreak)

HAHA good old 4chan! :D

Imminent

my favorite hacking website is regularly being taken down.. luckily their irc server is mostly active

lol this ddos doesn't achieve anything imo..

stricken

Expert Member
standing atop the hill, looking out over an army of shiny shoe people and paper pushers, i turn around and see our forces gathering. next to me is Leeta, grimacing, and with teeth clenched she faces the enemy and pronounces: "bring it."

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The net effect of all is this is inconvenience to internet users. It's just plain silly. The MPAA and their MAFIAA friends should be charged by the FCC for hacking and cybercrime... and 4Chan is not behaving much better. DDOS attacks accomplish nothing significant in the long term.

OverKill69

4Chan is what keeps the interwebs honest...

it is the shining light of healthy anarchy... don't mess with our internets.

Alestorm

Expert Member
The net effect of all is this is inconvenience to internet users.

Internet users who want to visit the MPAA site? I think the happy feeling anyone gets reading about/doing this cancels that out by far.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Internet users who want to visit the MPAA site? I think the happy feeling anyone gets reading about/doing this cancels that out by far.

DDOS attacks do not only affect the target website. If you believe that, you know nothing about how the internet works.

And once the attack dies down a day or so later... what have they actually accomplished? So they canceled each other's website out.... woohoo. :rolleyes:

I would far rather see the MPAA face criminal penalties in a US court for cybercrime and hacking... than see their website (that nobody visits anyway) taken down for a few hours.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
As I was reading this I began to wonder if this is the beginning of the first real internet war....

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
As I was reading this I began to wonder if this is the beginning of the first real internet war....

I highly doubt that either side could accomplish anything as significant as that. Rather organise a boycott of all these products. Will hurt far more in the long run.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Garyvdh, its a stament, showing MPAA they are not invincible, next (I hope) its could be some hacking
LOL no this is just 4chan doing what they do best, read up on wikipedia

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Garyvdh, its a stament, showing MPAA they are not invincible, next (I hope) its could be some hacking

Sure, I know it's a statement... I sympathise with the statement. You know my views.

But what is the statement saying... hey look we took your stupid website offline for a few hours using methods that any script kiddie can download off the internet! :D

Seriously... it's like somebody taking BP's website offline for a few hours... what effect do you think that is going to have on an organisation like BP or their daily operating methods? Zilch.

Now if you could find a way to hurt their profits... that would be awesome!

Joy-Energiser

Give yourself a real pat on the back 4chan, you took a website down for a few hours.Oh how the world should fear you!

Lol, how pathetic.

These script kiddies are not even real hackers or anything, they are no one special.Just the culmination of the most perverted scum of the earth, who take solace in being accompanied by other internet losers.Then with thier huge inferiority complex gang up on helpless victims.

I mean seriously, how pathetic can you get ?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

LOL no this is just 4chan doing what they do best, read up on wikipedia

Dude... I know what 4Chan does.

I'm just saying that this kind of "mobilisation" could be a threat to a lot of people. I know that DDos attack does not really do much to a non commercial website. However if the same mob could also be summoned to do more damaging things it could get ugly.