4chan rushes to WikiLeaks' defense, forces Swiss banking site offline

Nod

Executive Member
Source: ArsTechnica
The forces of Anonymous have taken aim at several companies who are refusing to do business with WikiLeaks. 4chan's hordes have launched distributed denial-of-service attacks against PayPal, Swiss bank PostFinance, and other sites that have hindered the whistleblowing site's operations.

A self-styled spokesman for the group calling himself "Coldblood" has said that any website that's "bowing down to government pressure" is a target. PayPal ceased processing donations to the site, and PostFinance froze WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's account. The attacks are being performed under the Operation: Payback banner; Operation: Payback is the name the group is using in its long-running attacks on the RIAA, MPAA, and other organizations involved with anti-piracy lawsuits.

The initial attacks against PayPal were substantially ineffective; the PayPal blog was taken offline, but the main PayPal site wasn't harmed. The attacks against PostFinance, however, have resulted in the bank's website being unavailable for more than 16 hours. It remains unavailable at the time of writing. The latest target is the site of the Swedish prosecutors in Assange's sexual misconduct trial. This too appears to be offline. Twitter has also been named as a future attack target, due to its claimed censorship of the #wikileaks hashtag.

The companies being attacked deny that their behavior is a result of government influence. Rather, they are claiming that WikiLeaks and Assange have failed to adhere to the terms of use of various services. Amazon, which for a time hosted the site, said that WikiLeaks was failing to ensure that it "wasn't putting innocent people in jeopardy." PostFinance said that Assange lied on an application form.

The companies being attacked deny that their behavior is a result of government influence. Rather, they are claiming that WikiLeaks and Assange have failed to adhere to the terms of use of various services. Amazon, which for a time hosted the site, said that WikiLeaks was failing to ensure that it "wasn't putting innocent people in jeopardy." PostFinance said that Assange lied on an application form.

Alan

Honorary Master
Well done now there's going to be more draconian security measures to deal with for the rest us.

MacNutter

This is so cool. Go 4chan, they are doing nothing that the American government and all other major governments are already doing.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Just a friendly reminder 4chan rules the world.

Just a friendly reminder, 4chan's DDOS efforts have so far been VERY short-lived. Usually in the range of a few hours. They can't seem to "keep it up" beyond a few hours (excuse the pun).

Keeper

Honorary Master
Luckilly 4chan failed on the DDoS attack on paypal

I don't get you guys - you think this is a GOOD thing??

So a guy releasing secret US Documents gets heat - Toyota doesn't want to sell him a getaway car.......do you think its GOOD for an organisation to shut down Toyota for ALL the rest of us? Seriously?

I need paypal FFS!

- I have no problem with Assange, or wikileaks....he was trying to expose the bad, for the good of the people....the truth!
- I have no problem with 4chan, they usually do good when launching attacks.

What I DO have a problem with, is Attacking something which ALL of us use, just to make a point and standing up for ONE GUY. Who cares who is right, 4Chan shouldn't attack services that MANY people use, because of vengence.

Remember, with great power comes great responsibity (corny I know, but its damn true) - This is a huge Fckup IMO and I have lost all my respect for /b/

UnUnOctium

Expert Member

So a guy releasing secret US Documents gets heat - Toyota doesn't want to sell him a getaway car.......do you think its GOOD for an organisation to shut down Toyota for ALL the rest of us? Seriously?

I need paypal FFS!

- I have no problem with Assange, or wikileaks....he was trying to expose the bad, for the good of the people....the truth!

What I DO have a problem with, is Attacking something which ALL of us use, just to make a point and standing up for ONE GUY. Who cares who is right, 4Chan shouldn't attack services that MANY people use, because of vengence.

Remember, with great power comes great responsibity (corny I know, but its damn true) - This is a huge Fckup IMO and I have lost all my respect for /b/

Hell yeah, 4chan!!! :p

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

I need paypal FFS!

I think the issue is with the way they caved and used silly excuses to hold on to his money, that money is his... people gave it to him. How dare they take it from him just because the US government is a bit embarrassed !

Arrest him by all means if he did any crimes but that money is his and has nothing to do with any of the things he has done.

Imagine if you donated R100 to the Dali Lama and then the Chinese government convinced paypal to freeze that money ? I'd be pretty pissed off.

F

Fudzy

I think the issue is with the way they caved and used silly excuses to hold on to his money, that money is his... people gave it to him. How dare they take it from him just because the US government is a bit embarrassed !

Arrest him by all means if he did any crimes but that money is his and has nothing to do with any of the things he has done.

Imagine if you donated R100 to the Dali Lama and then the Chinese government convinced paypal to freeze that money ? I'd be pretty pissed off.

QFT! I'd be interested to see where in PayPal's terms & conditions it says they have the right to steal your money. I'd be very concerned being a merchant on their system if there is such a clause.

ponder

Honorary Master
QFT! I'd be interested to see where in PayPal's terms & conditions it says they have the right to steal your money. I'd be very concerned being a merchant on their system if there is such a clause.

Dunno, but paypal kept my money when they froze my account. I signed up with paypal back in the day before they even thought of banning SA based credit cards, when they adopted their policy of not allowing SA credit cards they froze my account saying I violated their terms of use even though everything was ok before. They can get DDOSed to kingdom come for all I care.

Keeper

Honorary Master
Who cares about his paypal account, the man is in jail FFS.

I thought 4chan only launched attacks "for the greater good" ?
Is Avenging Assange the greater good, if millions of people can't access their paypal?

I don't care about Vendetta's, Vengeance and Revenge of some Australian guy living in sweden who went against the US Government and leaked Secret Documents and got arrested and got his paypal account frozen, Just leave my Paypal Account alone FFS!

So if eBay offends 4chan, we can't sell stuff?
If Facebook offends them, No facebook for Nobody?
If Google makes a wrong step, no Google?

UnUnOctium

Expert Member

Is Avenging Assange the greater good, if millions of people can't access their paypal?

I don't care about Vendetta's, Vengeance and Revenge of some Australian guy living in sweden who went against the US Government and leaked Secret Documents and got arrested and got his paypal account frozen, Just leave my Paypal Account alone FFS!

Correct. It's beautiful in that 4chan is not 1 person but a very large number of people which statistically makes their actions, for the greater good.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

These things are just tools... if the wrong people control them then there is going to be a problem.
That is pretty much the lesson here, no government can control these things.

TheHiveMind

Banned
Correct. It's beautiful in that 4chan is not 1 person but a very large number of people which statistically makes their actions, for the greater good.

Two logical fallacies in this point. You equate the majorities wants to "the greater good". That is incorrect. Then you suggest that 4chan makes up the majority of the world, that is also incorrect.

Last edited: