4G 24hr uncapped VS 4G 19hr uncapped. Just an observation i made today.

ngoni615

I stay in Westville would you recommend Rain? Also what package are you on with rain? Needing to make a plan soon and lte is my only option
I stay close to u in Sarnia and my connection is so good. My tower is not very congested since 90 percent of people use fibre here. But i am moving to fibre soon so... but my connection is very good. Not sure about westville. It is not too expensive u can get the r250 package and test it out.

nom4d

I stay close to u in Sarnia and my connection is so good. My tower is not very congested since 90 percent of people use fibre here. But i am moving to fibre soon so... but my connection is very good. Not sure about westville. It is not too expensive u can get the r250 package and test it out.
Which package are you on? If you don't mind me asking

nom4d

I'm looking at R479 24/7 uncapped package. Anyone in Durban on this package?

pboy

Expert Member
honestly the best most easiest thing to do....is trying to connect to his wifi :) 3 doors down should be good for more than 1mbps...
if you can, then give him your money!
(or not)

KopiteZA

Sigh.
Here's my findings after I spent the whole day running between houses, moving routers around, climbing up and down rooftops and painstakingly adjusting the routers' default paddle antennas.

On the router with the 24hr uncapped sim we never achieved anything higher than 500kbps on fast.com. No matter where we placed the router, even on the rooftop of both houses, not once did we get past this speed. Seems to be capped at this speed too. I think its worth mentioning that most of the time we got speeds of about 300kbps, depending on the location of the router.
The best signal stats achieved was RSRP of -62 and SINR of 17.
The surprising thing though is DStv Now works just fine, Netflix also worked but both started to buff when resolution was set to anything higher than 480p. What I did notice last night that both these services worked without buffering at 720p, at the time I didn't think to try a higher resolution or to run a speedtest.

On to the 19hr uncapped sim. Same speed test results, also averaging between 200 and 300kbps and topping out at 500kbps. The same applies for signal stats, identical to what was achieved on the router with the 24hr sim.
DStv Now would occasionaly load the homescreen but not once could we manage to get something to stream. Even after setting default resolution to its lowest, 360p, we still had no luck. Netflix was even worse we couldn't even get the homepage to load. I did manage to get Youtube to work though but it was buffering every 5 seconds.

So the conclusion I came to is that on the 24hr uncapped plan, Rain allows you to stream Netflix and DStv at a capped resolution. Between 6 and 11 you can stream at whatever resolution your connection can handle. Those of us on the 19hr package are screwed. No amount of tweaking will help you, unfortunately. I absolutely could not get Dstv or Netflix to work no matter how strong my signal was. I think Rain throttles all congested towers to a limit of 500kbps, except if you're 24hr uncapped then you get to stream at a capped resolution of 480p, after 6 it goes up to whatever resolution your connection can handle.

ghostbunny

Fast.com is heavily shaped so you won't see accurate results unless you're using a VPN. Use speedtest instead.

mrlgm007

Did not know this. I'll try speedtest tonight just to see if it makes a difference.

I use the above 3 cause its the same server i am testing to always :)

Budza

Executive Member
Fast.com is heavily shaped so you won't see accurate results unless you're using a VPN. Use speedtest instead.
Did not know this. I'll try speedtest tonight just to see if it makes a difference.
Use this and win something while you're at it ;)

Scorpion101

Sigh.
Here's my findings after I spent the whole day running between houses, moving routers around, climbing up and down rooftops and painstakingly adjusting the routers' default paddle antennas.

On the router with the 24hr uncapped sim we never achieved anything higher than 500kbps on fast.com. No matter where we placed the router, even on the rooftop of both houses, not once did we get past this speed. Seems to be capped at this speed too. I think its worth mentioning that most of the time we got speeds of about 300kbps, depending on the location of the router.
The best signal stats achieved was RSRP of -62 and SINR of 17.
The surprising thing though is DStv Now works just fine, Netflix also worked but both started to buff when resolution was set to anything higher than 480p. What I did notice last night that both these services worked without buffering at 720p, at the time I didn't think to try a higher resolution or to run a speedtest.

On to the 19hr uncapped sim. Same speed test results, also averaging between 200 and 300kbps and topping out at 500kbps. The same applies for signal stats, identical to what was achieved on the router with the 24hr sim.
DStv Now would occasionaly load the homescreen but not once could we manage to get something to stream. Even after setting default resolution to its lowest, 360p, we still had no luck. Netflix was even worse we couldn't even get the homepage to load. I did manage to get Youtube to work though but it was buffering every 5 seconds.

So the conclusion I came to is that on the 24hr uncapped plan, Rain allows you to stream Netflix and DStv at a capped resolution. Between 6 and 11 you can stream at whatever resolution your connection can handle. Those of us on the 19hr package are screwed. No amount of tweaking will help you, unfortunately. I absolutely could not get Dstv or Netflix to work no matter how strong my signal was. I think Rain throttles all congested towers to a limit of 500kbps, except if you're 24hr uncapped then you get to stream at a capped resolution of 480p, after 6 it goes up to whatever resolution your connection can handle.
Hey there, just for the purpose of knowledge try a free VPN service or seven day trial account from VPN express, if your speed increases then you are being throttled. I know there are guys who are currently using free VPN service if any read this post please help him out by sending him a PM with the service you using.

KopiteZA

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Tried with Proton VPN but no luck. DL speed went from 0.50 without VPN to 0.01 with VPN. Also tried the other suggested speed tests but still no improvement. Here's some screenshots, one with VPN the rest are all without. Huge spikes in upload speeds though so atleast I wont have any problem uploading any files. Removing all upload speed limits on BitTorrent now, just out of spite..:mad:

Attachments

ZimmY

So i thought i would share this we drove down to my parents in law's who stay on a farm just outside of brits in the middle of nowhere and i bought my rain 4G 479pm with on a b535 and i was surprised i am actually getting here past 10pm around 22mbps but on average this is wat its doing during the day. tower congestion is non existing. 1586940696998.png

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Rain's 4G Home Unlimited (24Hr Unlimited) is actually pathetic overall, I'm literally stuck with this piece of **** company till we move which we can't because of lockdown and I'm not prepared to purchase an external antenna when their support is poor. This company has gone from bad to worse.
Same here. Our Telkom line has been down for over a month so no ADSL. Managed to get a Rain sim in a magazine just so we could have internet during the lockdown. Thought the 24/7 package would be great but sadly it's turned into a pos from Day 1.

K@k internet is better then no internet though :(

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Funny thing is this.
His router used to stand next to his Tv, in the open, and he was having the same issues as me. So Sunday I introduced him to the LTEview app which allows you to see detailed information about what kind of signal you're receiving. Last night I went to his house and guess what..
Can't seem to find that on Play Store. Tried using OpenSignal but that doesn't even let me find a tower. Nfi what I'm doing wrong.

Sudo Panic

It doesn't matter what you do, the towers are congested to the point that the service will keep deteriorating to the point that you can't even load a webpage with icons or buttons.

chakniks

Can't seem to find that on Play Store. Tried using OpenSignal but that doesn't even let me find a tower. Nfi what I'm doing wrong.
Network Cell Info will show you the location of the tower your phone is connected to.
It is available on the play store.

Just as side info, I think the app you were looking for is called LTEWatch and its for pc.