4G? I don't think so

ryan_grey

9922793951.png

Not worth R10 a month, IMHO.

Anyone out there getting at least 10mbps down on rain?

Crumbl0x

9922793951.png

Not worth R10 a month, IMHO.

Anyone out there getting at least 10mbps down on rain?
Used to in the daytime pre-lockdown, an average of 40mbps on the 19/7. For a few months afterwards I could only reach 25-30mbps after midnight and on both packages an average of 4-8mbps in the daytime, but last month it got really abysmal so I had to move off.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Yep. It's worth R0.99c
I cancelled this week's (one month trial to myself), after Rain informed me that I can't pause my subscription. I need to cancel the sim and Rica and pay again in future.

I was also informed that they hope to see me back when my financial situation improves. Fk me. Rain is delusional.

They have kak service, products and nothing works as advertised, then they have the audacity to say the issue is due to my financial status.

Do these mudflaps know about my life? My bank account or my profession?
No. They are a bunch of uneducated consultants in serious need of training.

God. Really. Can people just come back to reality ffs.

I would be dismissed if I said something like that to a client. Fk u. My financial situation is not your concern Rain.

ryan_grey

Used to in the daytime pre-lockdown, an average of 40mbps on the 19/7. For a few months afterwards I could only reach 25-30mbps after midnight and on both packages an average of 4-8mbps in the daytime, but last month it got really abysmal so I had to move off.

What provider did you go to?

I think rain has just given up on support when it comes to speed issues. They removed the live chat option from their website too. I understand the technical limitations when it comes to wireless infrastructure as I've worked with some of those people in the industry. Its plain and simple. They can't keep up with demand to roll out new high sites. So they have them overloaded like a typical SA taxi.

Crumbl0x

What provider did you go to?

I think rain has just given up on support when it comes to speed issues. They removed the live chat option from their website too. I understand the technical limitations when it comes to wireless infrastructure as I've worked with some of those people in the industry. Its plain and simple. They can't keep up with demand to roll out new high sites. So they have them overloaded like a typical SA taxi.
lol yeah
I'm with Afrihost's MTN now and have to re-adjust myself to caps yet again but man, the network is so rock solid I can excuse that easily.

polaroids1

Just check to see what Rain band you're on...

Rain operates on the B3 (1800MHz) and B38 (2500MHz) LTE bands and the B38 band seems to be OK most the time with decent speeds usually above 15mbps during the day.

The B3 seems to perform very well with upload speeds here by us and in Joburg, averaging around 15mbps up, but SUCKS with download, usually not even getting to 1mbps. B38 still seems decent with around 15-20mbps down and 4-8mbps up on average throughout the day.

This is with full signal, through a Huawei B525 router, and we saw similar performance with an old B315 (the old Telkom supplied routers from their early fixed LTE deals) on a Rain 19h off peak unlimited package.

To force the B315 or B525 to the B38 band you will need something like the Huawei Band Tool and a Windows PC on the same network. I can't find the old link, but I know someone on MyBroadband has posted it on a relevant post before. This also won't work on the B315 22s router (it doesn't support the correct TDD band for Rain B38).

ryan_grey

Just check to see what Rain band you're on...

Rain operates on the B3 (1800MHz) and B38 (2500MHz) LTE bands and the B38 band seems to be OK most the time with decent speeds usually above 15mbps during the day.

The B3 seems to perform very well with upload speeds here by us and in Joburg, averaging around 15mbps up, but SUCKS with download, usually not even getting to 1mbps. B38 still seems decent with around 15-20mbps down and 4-8mbps up on average throughout the day.

This is with full signal, through a Huawei B525 router, and we saw similar performance with an old B315 (the old Telkom supplied routers from their early fixed LTE deals) on a Rain 19h off peak unlimited package.

To force the B315 or B525 to the B38 band you will need something like the Huawei Band Tool and a Windows PC on the same network. I can't find the old link, but I know someone on MyBroadband has posted it on a relevant post before. This also won't work on the B315 22s router (it doesn't support the correct TDD band for Rain B38).

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I did a bit of a search and got the band tool here :

So I ran a : huawei_band_tool.exe --show-band

and got a strange output :

[5004] error: File: src/main.cpp Line: 1100 Function: bool web::httpRequest(const char*, web::HttpResult&, web::HttpOpts): Timeout was reached
[11020] error: File: src/main.cpp Line: 1100 Function: bool web::httpRequest(const char*, web::HttpResult&, web::HttpOpts): Timeout was reached
[17026] error: File: src/main.cpp Line: 1100 Function: bool web::httpRequest(const char*, web::HttpResult&, web::HttpOpts): Timeout was reached
[23031] error: File: src/main.cpp Line: 1100 Function: bool web::httpRequest(const char*, web::HttpResult&, web::HttpOpts): Timeout was reached
[29034] error: File: src/main.cpp Line: 1100 Function: bool web::httpRequest(const char*, web::HttpResult&, web::HttpOpts): Timeout was reached
[35038] error: File: src/main.cpp Line: 1100 Function: bool web::httpRequest(const char*, web::HttpResult&, web::HttpOpts): Timeout was reached

I'm not sure if its an actual application error. It seems to cycle through something and runs a while.

Anyway, I'm using a D-Link DWR-M921 (4G/LTE) router :

I'll keep on tinkering.

:D

polaroids1

Aah there will be your issue, unfortunately that band too will only work on Huawei routers :)

Good luck! Hope you manage to get something working.

ryan_grey

9928717862.png

Was able to change the band to B3 on a different router (huawei) using the band tool + configuring the login setup. Hard to say if that made the difference or less congestion. This one doesn't support B38. Still too slow.