4Gb Thumb drive with TV tuner records up to 20 hours!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/?p=1537

Check out this cool 4GB USB Thumb drive the Buffalo DH-KONE4G/U2DS.

buffalo tv tuner usb drive

It features a 1Seg TV tuner built in, so you can watch TV on your laptop or PC, it can also record TV from the tuner direct to the memory on the thumb drive.

buffalo tv tuner usb thumb drive

The 4GB of storage will let you record up to 20 hours of TV.

Only problem is... will it work in SA? esp with the digital switch over?

davemc

Executive Member
Yea, check the tuner carefully, it may not support the way that Sentech transmits sound on our channels.
But, in general, the problem with these devices with built-in tuners is that you don't have a perfectly aligned UHF/VHF aerial lying around to use, so you end up recording static.

Rewind

Based on the logic that an 80 gig drive on the DSTV PVR records 80 hours you will be sore pressed to fit 20 hours on a 4 gig drive. I'm seeing major loss of quality here!

ponder

Honorary Master
logic is flawed just based on that lame company.

Have to disagree. I don't care what codec you are using to encode the video, 20hrs on 4GB aint going to look good. 6-7hrs will give you ok quality for TV

splinter_watsup

logic is flawed just based on that lame company.

The DSTV PVR has a built in 160BG hard drive if I am not mistaking,that's 2GB an hour with out it being compressed!

If it had the same compression as this devise you would be able to record 800 hours of video.With that in mind I agree,it would be seriously compressed!So if you wanted to get the same quality you do with your PVR you will only beable to record 2 hours :D

Also keep in mind that DSTV do not make their PVRs,Other companies do.