4k 55 inch TV or 34 inch ultrawide for gaming

rudivdw

Hey good people!

I am busy planning out redoing the man cave, and the idea would be to have a lazyboy type chair and one of those lapboards for the keyboard and mouse, etc.

Now, the big question that is on my mind is do I get a 4k 55" TV, or one of those big ultra-wide pc monitors.

So, guys and gals out there doing PC gaming on a TV like that, how has your experience been? If my budget is around R10k to R15k, would you rather suggest I get an ultrawide or the TV? Can I get a decent enough TV for PC gaming for that price range?

I might get a console at some stage too, but for now the focus is, as it always has been with me, PC gaming...

All still very much in the planning phase (and saving up haha).

Appreciate your input in advance :)

Cheers
Rudi

agentrfr

Expert Member
Check reviews for each product. Gaming on a 4k TV is great if the input lag is decent. Anything sub 20ms is great, 20-40ms is noticeable but manageable, 40ms+ is unusable.

LG and Samsung screens tend to have real low input lag times in general

Variable refresh rate is also really nice to have at 4k if you are running an xbone, ps4 or gaming rig with freesync

But low input lag is by far the most important.

Check websites like rtings.com

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
I would go for a big TV for that distance.

Edit,

Just watch out for input lag. It will be killer for gaming if it is too high.

Purply

Expert Member
the room in question isn't very big, but I reckon 2-3 meters...
I currently play pc games on my 65" Plasma @ 1080p, which works great for most games. However for fps games like PUBG it becomes difficult to spot the enemy when sitting anything more than 1.2m away from the TV.

Not sure if 4k would solve that particular issue, but would be interesting to know.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Should one change the resolution on the PC to 4K if the TV already upscales 1080p to 4k in any case?

rudivdw

Thanks for the tips guys, especially about the rtings site, it's awesome and in depth :D

Cheers!

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I asked a similar question recently. Got a recommendation on the Samsung NU7100 series TV's. I was keen on the 43" as a PC monitor.

rudivdw

I asked a similar question recently. Got a recommendation on the Samsung NU7100 series TV's. I was keen on the 43" as a PC monitor.
I actually have my sights on that one too, it scores big when it comes to input lag :)

Spontaneous spinach

Why? It's perfectly 4 x pixels so there shouldn't be any scaling issues?
The upscaler does all its fancy work to make 1080p looks excellent on a 4k display, game mode disables all that post processing which results in a horrible image in favor for low input lag , you can set your tv to cinema mode which will increase image quality a lot but you get terrible input lag.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Native Native Native. (Resolution)
Upscaling is a whore.
Do your research and only buy what is genuine native resolution.

Reason I say this is back in the day in 2009 when I joined the film industry as a camera technician the monitor of choice WORLDWIDE for all directors was the Panasonic 17" model number 1710 for live view and playback.

Our company bought many of these to rent out and everything was running well for a few years until hardware failure etc. (wear and tear)

Local agent here in RSA quoted R27k replacement of the LCD panel (brand new 17" monitor as a whole is around R45k). Most of the times we charged our clients for negligence. I later found a supplier in Dallas USA that could send me the LG Panel which is 1280x720 for under R5k including freighting. :eek: And that was because I stripped down the Panasonic monitor to find out what the hell is inside. And saw it was a LG panel and after googling the part number I saw it is a 720p. 10 bit? haha Nope, normal 8 bit (tsek) We consumers got ripped off

Summary: Be very careful of "Upscaling" and what your Monitor Input "Accepts".
Summary Part 2 : Take your Playstation / XBox etc to HiFi Corp or wherever else with your favourite game that you know well and tell the salesman you are plugging in. Get a feel for it. If it makes you happy and smile Buy it

No salesman will say no

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Summary Part 2 : Take your Playstation / XBox etc to HiFi Corp or wherever else with your favourite game that you know well and tell the salesman you are plugging in. Get a feel for it. If it makes you happy and smile Buy it

No salesman will say no
Good suggestion