4MP or 8MP CCTV cameras?

Eric747

Good day, looking at installing NVR with security cameras at my new place. I had Hikvision previously and was quite happy, it served me well for years, never any issues.
I thing I'm not sure: I was looking at 4K IP (8MP) cameras but wonder if these are worth the extra money, shouldn't I stick to 4MP I had before?

The MP isn't really the biggest consideration here.. what you should be looking at is focal distance determined by the size of the lense, i.e 2mm, 4mm, 6mm or 8mm or variable focus lense..

The focal distance determines the level of detail you can see at specific distances.. so a bigger lense, more detail at longer distances, but reduces the angle at which you can see things..

Before you go worry about MP, look at what you need in terms of granular detail at specific distances and then you focus on MP count.. for all intents and purposes your REALLY DONT need 4k resolution, 1080p is going to be just fine..

Well, it depends on what you need the camera for. As a general rule of thumb, a higher resolution is better, but that also means you have to account for more storage and bandwidth. In situations where you want a clearer picture, a higher-resolution camera is preferable. But in situations where you may only need to see basic movement, lower resolutions may be preferable to save bandwidth. If you are going to show it on a large monitor the higher resolutions will make a difference.

Good day, looking at installing NVR with security cameras at my new place. I had Hikvision previously and was quite happy, it served me well for years, never any issues.
I thing I'm not sure: I was looking at 4K IP (8MP) cameras but wonder if these are worth the extra money, shouldn't I stick to 4MP I had before?

I reckon it depends on what you require and the bandwidth you throw at it. Lower speeds might be good for watching live view, but playback for example on 4MP camera at 30Mbps is horrendous.

Back