5 features WhatsApp should take from other messengers

Pythonista

Blocking screenshots is impossible on any rooted phone. And there's nothing to stop a different phone from taking a pic of your phones screen - so it doesn't solve anything and is pointless and not worth wasting time on.
Same with self-destructing messages - it gives people the false idea they are "protected" - but anything you do on the web/social media for a split second is there forever. Don't fight it - Embrace it.
Birthdays - no thanks. I'm getting too old for that .. :)

rog518za

They should just pay for the BBM patents, they had the best features and all know WA has copied several things, however they still need to add the following:

1. The mighty Ping!!
  2. Private messaging (separate chat that disappears after no activity for 1 minute)
  3. Retracting entire chats
  4. See what people are listening to on their status automatically, while playing music.
  5. Editing/retracting messages at any time not just 7 seconds.

saor

Honorary Master
lol no mention of:

Being able to edit messages
Delete a message without that stupid 'deleted message' notice.

Whatsapp should give group admins the delete for all functions so that admims can remove unwanted messages from group members, as it is now only the person who posted the message can remove it for all

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
There are so many features that WhatsApp needs to take from Telegram that you may as well just move to Telegram.

1. Being totally cloud-based without any tethering to your phone or need for periodic backups
2. Not needing to give out your phone number
3. Expanded admin controls in group chats
4. Much, much larger user limits in group chats
5. Public groups that anyone can search for
6. Not needing to add someone as a contact for them to display properly
7. Filtering options when browsing the multimedia history of a chat
8. More efficient compression, especially for video
9. GIFs that display properly
10. Stickers with easy discovery options
11. Self-destructing chats (which the article mentions)
12. No ads, ever
13. No pending integration between Facebook Messenger & Instagram chat
14. In-line reading of web articles & playback of media
15. Bots that can do things like poll users
16. Theme options
17. Being able to save files and messages. I often move files between mobile and desktop using Telegram as it's so quick and easy.
18. No stupid message left behind when deleting messages for other users
19. Having the option of sending original quality images and videos to users without any compression applied
20. The ability to archive chats rather than delete them
21. Dark mode, and an auto mode that switches it on and off for you based on the time
22. Deleting a chat for yourself and the other person, same with individual messages up to 48 hours
23. Probably more, these are off the top of my head.

WhatsApp sucks. Fortunately my closest friends and family use Telegram, but I wish everyone else did as well. It's not right that a crappy app like WhatsApp is so popular.

3WA

Executive Member
And here all I wanted is the ability to change the colour of the eggplant emoji.