5 messaging apps to use when WhatsApp starts showing advertising

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
5 messaging apps to use when WhatsApp starts showing advertising

WhatsApp is the most popular messaging application in South Africa, but it is also owned by Facebook, a fact that has prompted some users concerned about their privacy to turn to other messaging apps.

There have also been reports that WhatsApp will start showing advertising to users, making it less appealing.

sajunky

Honorary Master
1. Why wait for adverts? Telegram is all around better.

2. Why not Viber? There is very silent since Viber was acquired by a company based in Japan. In new hands Viber has improved a lot, but it doesn't belong to Israeli anymore, is is why there is no push from mass media.

sandwitch

The moment WhatsApp starts showing advertising I'm out. It's not as handy as the other apps I use anyway.

Viber
Kakaotalk

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Telegram requires fewer device permissions than WhatsApp does, although only its Secret Chats are encrypted – while all WhatsApp chats are encrypted by default.
False. Secret chats are E2E encrypted, but normal cloud chats are also encrypted.
Q: Do you process data requests?

Secret chats use end-to-end encryption, thanks to which we don't have any data to disclose.

To protect the data that is not covered by end-to-end encryption, Telegram uses a distributed infrastructure. Cloud chat data is stored in multiple data centers around the globe that are controlled by different legal entities spread across different jurisdictions. The relevant decryption keys are split into parts and are never kept in the same place as the data they protect. As a result, several court orders from different jurisdictions are required to force us to give up any data.

Thanks to this structure, we can ensure that no single government or block of like-minded countries can intrude on people's privacy and freedom of expression. Telegram can be forced to give up data only if an issue is grave and universal enough to pass the scrutiny of several different legal systems around the world.

To this day, we have disclosed 0 bytes of user data to third parties, including governments.

https://telegram.org/faq#q-do-you-process-data-requests
Another factor going for Telegram is that the app itself is open source, there are a lot of people who made app versions that are made to fill a certain niche that can use Telegram's API.

On Linux, Rambox is pretty cool: https://github.com/ramboxapp/community-edition
Can integrate all of these services in one app: https://rambox.pro/#apps

1540730957563.png

Greatest feature of Telegram is still due to not having E2E and using just normal encryption, namely the fact that the desktop app doesn't need to be tied to the phone, so if phone isn't on/doesn't have signal, you can still use the desktop client. Also, answering calls on my desktop is nice as well.

Features I still want on Telegram:
Group calls

And as a maybe:
video calls.

Last edited:

beans100

Honorary Master
Also, Telegram has group size of 5000 people, compared to Whatsapp's 256. No brainer for large groups, like neighborhood watch etc.

Conack

Expert Member
Also, Telegram has group size of 5000 people, compared to Whatsapp's 256. No brainer for large groups, like neighborhood watch etc.
Fortunately, people around here are slowly getting on the Telegram bandwagon due to multiple NWes requiring it. Looking forward to the day that I can get rid of Facebook's Whatscrap.

Kakaotalk has a very small user group in SA afaik - as it's mostly used by asian (korean especially) folks.
Bring on the Whatsapp ads. Finally people will have even more reason to switch over.

ponder

Honorary Master
By putting adverts on your chat program...
Nah people are creatures of habit and will stick to what they know. know plenty of people still using skype for example to make voice or video calls to family overseas when they could use whatssapp for example....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
1. Why wait for adverts? Telegram is all around better.

2. Why not Viber? There is very silent since Viber was acquired by a company based in Japan. In new hands Viber has improved a lot, but it doesn't belong to Israeli anymore, is is why there is no push from mass media.
1.. Lies icq is the best

2. Trump has deemed the Japanese to be terrorists so viber must be ignored now.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We tried to switch all of our neighbourhood groups over to Telegram, but those groups are deader than doornails. Nobody uses Telegram, nobody wants to use Telegram. the other ones I have never even heard of before. Whatsapp is still where all the action is.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
How do you get people to adopt telegram en masse?
It's a snowball effect. You start small by converting your most important friends, family and colleagues. Telegram's benefits speak for themselves, so more than likely those people convert circles of their own.

I've been impressed at the handful of people I put onto Telegram who now use it primarily too.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
This is what happens when big, greedy corporations take something that was working sweetly, when it was in private hands, and exploit it just to monetize it. I was more than happy to pay the 6 bucks per annum, which it used to cost. Apart from Telegram, there is really nothing much to choose from.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I have two chats and 3 people left in WhatsApp. Everyone has moved to Telegram, quite happy about that.

Got another person to move due to me not replying for something moderately important for them as I forgot about the draft on WhatsApp so said I would have answered in Telegram. They've now converted their entire family.

Start by moving one other, they move someone else and it snowballs.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We've moved over 200 people already, but they don't like Telegram for some reason. Nobody wants to post there. The snowball melted long ago.