5 tips to easily speed up your home Internet connection

wingnut771

Honorary Master
The best price that I have seen recently is R999 for Ultralink AC 1200 from Makro, on promotion which ends on 25th May 2020, sorry for the short notice!
In essence, a Mesh network has an advantage over range extenders, in that Range extenders in most cases create multiple networks, whereas mesh networks give you seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout the home.
can't you just use the same wifi name (ssid) with the range extenders would achieve the same thing?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
802.11ac only works on the 5Ghz band. If you're connected via 2.4Ghz, by definition, you cannot be using AC, as was pointed out by @Genisys
802.11ac is an industry standard. Not a technical limitation.

These devices have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz available at the same time.

So you can have your Laptop on 2.4Ghz and your phone on 5Ghz on the same network at the same time.

AC does NOT mean ONLY 5Ghz is available, like you clearly stated with your sarcastic post of earlier.

Speedster

Honorary Master

So you can have your Laptop on 2.4Ghz and your phone on 5Ghz on the same network at the same time.

AC does NOT mean ONLY 5Ghz is available, like you clearly stated with your sarcastic post of earlier.
You seem quite highly strung. Lockdown getting to your spirits? :unsure:

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master

Jesus, you are dumb.

Good luck running your ac devices at ac on 2.4Ghz :thumbsup:

Yskasmetnstoof

Wow...just,wow!!!

The lack of technical knowledge is staggering.

Also these, and the rest, are the kind of tips you find on a flyer lying next to the till at Makro or Game...or what my daughter would write in a Gr.3 Sciences "paper"....if she does it completely on her own.
Some people don't know about this and may visit a site with a name like this one. It's how we learn, you know...

Speedster

Honorary Master
Some people don't know about this and may visit a site with a name like this one. It's how we learn, you know...
Indeed, this article is clearly not aimed at network administrators et al. Sadly some on this forum don't seem to think they should also be accommodated.

Yskasmetnstoof

And I'd hate to have you as a client.

You know, the typical one that wants Platinum IT at home, but have a R200 budget for hardware and labor.
With speedster here...
Sorry for contributing a valid input to the thread in that case. I didn't know we are not allowed to now give better solutions. I guess its all within reason. If you are willing to spend no money you can just skip past our posts, no need to get annoyed because someone is recommending spending money on a decent AP for wireless. At the end of the day if people are willing to spend time on something that will likely not make a difference, its their decision.

OK let me pile in here in the same vein: Install the fastest computer you can find, try a mainframe, and buy a new house in an area that has the fastest fibre in SA. Get that fibre. Get about 3 seperate connections in various points in the house. If it is still too slow for the wife, divorce her. If it is too slow for you, shoot yourself.
Hey, its fun solving issues without taking reality in account. Let me know if you need help on the fastest way to get to Bloem. I have some great ideas on that as well.
P.S. Elegance is to get the best result with the least outlay. I think the original question was aiming at that.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Jesus, you are dumb.

Good luck running your ac devices at ac on 2.4Ghz :thumbsup:

Aah, the personal insults when facts are in short supply. Typical from my previous interactions with you on this forum.

Running an ac device "at ac"
....and I'm the dumb one? WTF do you think AC means?

I have a Ubiquity UniFi 802.11AC and I have devices connected to it at 2.4GHz and devices connecting at 5GHz...depending on the setting ON THE DEVICE.

It's DUAL BAND...

Never did I say that I'm connecting at 5GHz on a 2.4GHZ frequency.

You claimed that AC is 5GHz ONLY....which it's not.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
With speedster here...

OK let me pile in here in the same vein: Install the fastest computer you can find, try a mainframe, and buy a new house in an area that has the fastest fibre in SA. Get that fibre. Get about 3 seperate connections in various points in the house. If it is still too slow for the wife, divorce her. If it is too slow for you, shoot yourself.
Hey, its fun solving issues without taking reality in account. Let me know if you need help on the fastest way to get to Bloem. I have some great ideas on that as well.
P.S. Elegance is to get the best result with the least outlay. I think the original question was aiming at that.

Sarkasme is die laagste vorm van bobbejanisme...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Indeed, this article is clearly not aimed at network administrators et al. Sadly some on this forum don't seem to think they should also be accommodated.
The writer of the article does not even know the difference between POE and a powerline networking kit ?

How is THAT informative and helpful for the layperson that needs very basic advice?

Or am I too "angry" to be allowed to criticize and point out the obvious?

Last edited:

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
Aah, the personal insults when facts are in short supply. Typical from my previous interactions with you on this forum.
You're only sulking because I've used your own game-plan and method of debating against you. And you only remember me because I won't let you bullshit people on a public forum.

....and I'm the dumb one? WTF do you think AC means?
A standard which makes use of the 5Ghz spectrum; which I've proven to you (if you'd accept Wikipedia as proof).

I have a Ubiquity UniFi 802.11AC and I have devices connected to it at 2.4GHz and devices connecting at 5GHz...depending on the setting ON THE DEVICE.
No, no, it does not.

I will type this slowly, maybe then you'll understand: 802.11ac only operates on the 5Ghz band.

It's DUAL BAND...
Of course it is. Do you know what dual-band means? Hint: the clue is the word "BAND"

Never did I say that I'm connecting at 5GHz on a 2.4GHZ frequency.
Then explain to us what you mean?

You claimed that AC is 5GHz ONLY....which it's not.
Please post a link to substantiate your bullschit...because it is.

Bobbejanisme het 1 a...

Komende van iemand wat nie "'n" kan reg spel nie...
You're right :thumbsup:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
You're only sulking because I've used your own game-plan and method of debating against you. And you only remember me because I won't let you bullshit people on a public forum.

A standard which makes use of the 5Ghz spectrum; which I've proven to you (if you'd accept Wikipedia as proof).

No, no, it does not.

I will type this slowly, maybe then you'll understand: 802.11ac only operates on the 5Ghz band.

Of course it is. Do you know what dual-band means? Hint: the clue is the word "BAND"

Then explain to us what you mean?

Please post a link to substantiate your bullschit...because it is.

A Dual-band router uses two radio bands: 2.4GHz and 5GHz, which means that they transmit two simultaneous wireless signals.

AC does NOT mean the router only transmits in 5GHz. It means it does 5GHz AS WELL...

A router with the AC standard is usually backwards compatible, as it covers all the
previous standards as well: 802.11 a/b/g/n/r/k/v/ac

E.g. a Ubiquity UniFi 802.11.AC Dual-Radio Access Point.

It has Simultaneous Dual-Band which means it broadcasts and receives on both radio rates at the same time using MIMO .

My media player connects to my UniFi AP on the 2.4GHz band and my cellphone connects to it on the 5GHz band.

So how exactly am I talking bullschit?