50,000 printers hacked to tell people to subscribe to PewDiePie

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Ok but what was the method of delivery/infection?
Vulnerable printers on the internet with port 9100 open. "Elite hacker" used shodan to get a list of exploitable printers.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Well the 9 year old army has clearly some skillz yo.

What a showdown - Bobs + vegana vs pwned printers!

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Vulnerable printers on the internet with port 9100 open. "Elite hacker" used shodan to get a list of exploitable printers.
What is scary is how poor a quality sys admin there are out there... that this can happen. In such large numbers..

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Sheesh, only now... and the vulns have been known for years.
Yes looking at you HP and Xerox

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Show me, dont tell me.

Edit: Though I suppose you cant really show, if you have a hack under your belt :p

What this person did was pretty easy to do, but what scares me , is that something that is so easy to do can be done. I think it was a clever prank even if I am not in on its message. Other hackers could be using the same exploits to steal data from those printers. So this hacker did y`all a favor.

Im assuming those printers are run by people who have more certs than sense. This is a cheap wake up call to those companies which have such high and open risk like this. Next time it could be mechatronic malware stealing your loot.

Just to clarify, the tool used to exploit these printers was not SHODAN. That was just used as recon and could have been done by scripting nmap. The tool used to exploit these printers is called PRET (PRinter Exploitation Toolkit).

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma

Internetuser

Pewds seriously earned the YouTube ranking he is at (number one at the moment again)breaking records by getting there . Of course millions don't know him in person but from over the years we have watched him make a name for himself from nothing. Viewers are addicted because of his unique sence of humor and gaming skills. He is still humble (unlike the Paul brothers) while being the most payed person on YouTube that I know of. He is a real people person and it's understandable that fans would go out of their way or do extreme things to keep him at number one.
I hope he remains #1 because he definitely earned it.

JOEY_8

Second paragraph in the article is incorrect. T Series hasn't overtaken his channel as yet.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
When someone uses the term "script kid" I assume they dont know what theyre talking about.

Can you script meterpreter? This aint irc anymore.