50% Of All Species Disappearing

mercurial

MyBB Legend
ScienceDaily (Oct. 21, 2008) — The Earth is in the midst of the sixth mass extinction of both plants and animals, with nearly 50 percent of all species disappearing, scientists say.

Because of the current crisis, biologists at UC Santa Barbara are working day and night to determine which species must be saved. Their international study of grassland ecosystems, with flowering plants, is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"The current extinction event is due to human activity, paving the planet, creating pollution, many of the things that we are doing today," said co-author Bradley J. Cardinale, assistant professor of ecology, evolution and marine biology (EEMB) at UC Santa Barbara. "The Earth might well lose half of its species in our lifetime. We want to know which ones deserve the highest priority for conservation."

He explained that the last mass extinction near the current level was 65 million years ago, called the Cretaceous Tertiary extinction event, and was probably the result of a meteor hitting the Earth. It is best known for the extinction of non-avian dinosaurs, but massive amounts of plant species became extinct at that time as well.
Full article here

RVFmal

Expert Member
And there you have it. The human race is the cause of the extinction of half of the planets species. Definitely something to be proud of :rolleyes:

I am truly embarrassed to be a human being. We do nothing but destroy everything around us and soon we will be left with nothing. We are nothing but a greedy and murderous species with no regard for anything other than ourselves and even then we cannot lay claim to being humane to even each other.

I can only hope that people will start to realise that we cannot continue in this vein and that we need to change our mindset in how we view and use our natural environment.

For far too long we have selfishly exploited this planet and it is now dying more and more quickly. How long before we destroy it all completely? :mad:

Keeper

Honorary Master
how can 50% be dead if we havent even discovered most of it?

I call BS.

RVFmal

Expert Member
how can 50% be dead if we havent even discovered most of it?

I call BS.
That may very well be the case in terms of the deepest parts of the ocean where we have to date had little impact due to our inability to get to those depths frequently, but to say that we have yet to discover most of the species at shallower depths and on land is ludicrous to say the least.

If you are going to call BS, substantiate your argument with factual proof.

And in any event, the findings being discussed are based on KNOWN species and to eradicate 50% of them is in itself a travesty.

Claymore

Executive Member
That may very well be the case in terms of the deepest parts of the ocean where we have to date had little impact due to our inability to get to those depths frequently, but to say that we have yet to discover most of the species at shallower depths and on land is ludicrous to say the least.
Maybe not most, but it's not uncommon to read reports of scientists discovering several new species in the Amazon, New Guinea, Madagascar, and other relatively unexplored areas.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
and woman? how are the woman doing? :eek: Please don't tell me the woman are going extinct! :(

RVFmal

Expert Member
Maybe not most, but it's not uncommon to read reports of scientists discovering several new species in the Amazon, New Guinea, Madagascar, and other relatively unexplored areas.
This still does not detract from the fact that huge numbers of known species are extinct or going to be extinct very soon.

All it means is that we can add these new species to the lists of soon to be extinct species.

Keeper

Honorary Master
people can't even kill most of the hated species like flies, rats & cockroaches, nevermind domesticated animals, farm animals, or species that exist in forrests we haven't even been to. there are organisations to preserve animals before they go extinct. also, there are plenty of zoo's in the world if push comes to shove - so the animals wouldn't go completely extinct.

sorry, but a thing of this massive scale you are talking about, is not possible - the world isn't so overcrowded as you think, there is still PLENTY of space - maybe have a go at google earth to see how big this planet really is.

RVFmal

Expert Member
people can't even kill most of the hated species like flies, rats & cockroaches, nevermind domesticated animals, farm animals, or species that exist in forrests we haven't even been to. there are organisations to preserve animals before they go extinct. also, there are plenty of zoo's in the world if push comes to shove - so the animals wouldn't go completely extinct.

sorry, but a thing of this massive scale you are talking about, is not possible - the world isn't so overcrowded as you think, there is still PLENTY of space - maybe have a go at google earth to see how big this planet really is.
Keeper, with all due respect, once again you are posting without substantiating your argument. You state that it is impossible. How so? Based on your assumption?

One cannot take into consideration domesticated animals, animals bred for human consumption etc as these are bred purely for financial gain and for our apparent survival. The reason why they will not go extinct is because we BREED them. Other species are not so lucky. We encroach on their land thereby reducing their ability to survive and if there are too many of them after we have taken over their natural environment, we cull them in the name of looking after the species!!

How nice, we get to go to zoo's to go and see the few species that will be left, living in cramped and UNNATURAL conditions. Aren't we just the bleeding heart liberals.

You say plenty of space? There are vast amounts of species that can only live in certain areas under certain conditions. How do you expect an Orangutan to survive in any area other than the forests it needs to survive? How well do you think it would fare in a desert environment? Not well is the answer. This planet may be large, but if you look at the vast expanses of land that we continue to occupy and expand into, how long do you think species endemic to those areas will survive? Oh right, we will have zoos...............

zophas

And there you have it. The human race is the cause of the extinction of half of the planets species. Definitely something to be proud of :rolleyes:

I am truly embarrassed to be a human being. We do nothing but destroy everything around us and soon we will be left with nothing. We are nothing but a greedy and murderous species with no regard for anything other than ourselves and even then we cannot lay claim to being humane to even each other.

I can only hope that people will start to realise that we cannot continue in this vein and that we need to change our mindset in how we view and use our natural environment.

For far too long we have selfishly exploited this planet and it is now dying more and more quickly. How long before we destroy it all completely? :mad:
I agree with you as far as being embarrassed to be human. But the bit about the planet dying I can't agree with. Us puny humans kill Earth? No way! Earth has been thru a whole lot more than we can ever throw at her. Earth will survive, humans won't.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I guess those will join the 99.9999999999999999999999% of species that are already extinct.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Other species are not so lucky. We encroach on their land thereby reducing their ability to survive and if there are too many of them after we have taken over their natural environment, we cull them in the name of looking after the species!!
So you're still in disagreement with the Robben Island rabbit culling?

icyrus

Executive Member

Mass extinctions happen. Earth and life will go on with our without the human race. To think otherwise is just hubris.

Keeper

Honorary Master
For all those "I'm embarrassed to be human" people.

There has been a few MASS EXTINCTIONS on earth. (5, I think)
We humans are the chance for that to never happen again, with millions of clever minds working on our future, that will eventually propell us to other planets to PREVENT another Mass Extinction from happening.

Yes, polution/using oil is bad, yes eating animals is bad, yes chopping trees down is bad. but without all that, there wouldn't be any Space Program.

If we all lived in the bush eating berries forever an asteroid impact would bring earth back to square 1 for another few million years.

so by the time animals go extinct as you say, atleast we would be on another planet, colonizing a second "backup earth" if you will (complete with animals and everything)

Think of the bigger picture people, use your brains.

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
sorry but can they not save the shark please:Di would like to be safe in the water .