50GB data in every South African home by 2026 - NIP 2050

"D"

Expert Member
The South African government wants to ensure that every home in South Africa has 50GB of data per month by the 2025/6 financial year
... but then the big red buttons got pressed in 2022 and the sky got scorched, along with most of the earth's surface ...

Swa

Honorary Master
Aside from the usual low intelligence responses on this thread which is the majority.. and looking past the private revenue and cost which need to be recouped..

This could actually be hugely beneficial especially for eServices, e-commerce, education, local IT services etc. naysayers have a whole world of empirical stats across many countries so good luck with that. Hell even the politics of the country will under go rapid evolution and if part of a constitutional right, once provided government will not be able to withdraw it like many countries have.

History and stats says this only positive of pulled off.. funding it is a problem but there are ways around this other than tax payers of people use the intelligence they claim to have.
It's noble to want to provide all these things. The unfortunate reality is the ANC has never been able to. Countries that did had a good starting point. The ANC doesn't know how to create the breeding ground for it. We are already at 70% to GDP instead of growing the GDP.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Aside from the usual low intelligence responses on this thread which is the majority.. and looking past the private revenue and cost which need to be recouped..

This could actually be hugely beneficial especially for eServices, e-commerce, education, local IT services etc. naysayers have a whole world of empirical stats across many countries so good luck with that. Hell even the politics of the country will under go rapid evolution and if part of a constitutional right, once provided government will not be able to withdraw it like many countries have.

History and stats says this only positive of pulled off.. funding it is a problem but there are ways around this other than tax payers of people use the intelligence they claim to have.
You can have all the educated people we want (well we got free schooling already). If there is 0 jobs, then it's a mute point. We are already at 45% unemployment rate. If people need free data , i doubt they would be in the market (have money) to e-commerce, or use local IT services. or even eServices.

So as government before you start dishing out free* data, fix the electricity , jobs creation (red tape , BEE) , crime , corruption etc etc.. then go for free data.

This free data is just another one to get voters back in the ANC crowd. Free = votes. Then ANC doesn't really need to fix any isses. Squirrel can go and "see we gave you free data"

El Presidente

Expert Member
It's noble to want to provide all these things. The unfortunate reality is the ANC has never been able to. Countries that did had a good starting point. The ANC doesn't know how to create the breeding ground for it. We are already at 70% to GDP instead of growing the GDP.
I'd say the ANC made excellent breeding ground. Just look at all the child grants :p

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

Alkern

Completely correct and a great sentiment, if it could be executed. On my part I feel the logistics of this is completely out of reach for the ruling party. I think other formites have expressed the end result aptly. Even if there were expertise, the corruption would swallow the funds. If the funds were not swallowed, the bureaucratic process would push deployment out to a small number of households in selected areas by 2030+. By this time some sort of NGO/Sarlink solution would eclipse what the government could provide. All the while current internet users where taxed into oblivion.

It's a great idea, and government should have consulted private companies on what sort of funding and possible solutions could be provided in a reasonable amount of time.

El Presidente

Expert Member
Completely correct and a great sentiment, if it could be executed. On my part I feel the logistics of this is completely out of reach for the ruling party. I think other formites have expressed the end result aptly. Even if there were expertise, the corruption would swallow the funds. If the funds were not swallowed, the bureaucratic process would push deployment out to a small number of households in selected areas by 2030+. By this time some sort of NGO/Sarlink solution would eclipse what the government could provide. All the while current internet users where taxed into oblivion.

It's a great idea, and government should have consulted private companies on what sort of funding and possible solutions could be provided in a reasonable amount of time.
It's really easy, just zero rate some websites and even throttle them if you want to (while not having data).
The systems are already in place.

Offer some spectrum to the mobile guys in exchange for zero-rating some useful services - or with the current auction sell the spectrum with this clause attached.

No gritty ANC fingers, no corruption. You get spectrum, I get some zero-rated sites to help me get on my feet. Or as someone else said, have public WiFi:

die_koos

"Government has not yet detailed how households will receive their free data." Yes, it's not a plan, it's a wish.

Unless they limit this to government and education related sites it's going to kill the current providers. I Suspect the majority of current 3G / LTE data users use way less that 50Gb per month per household. If these users now don't need to pay for this there will be hard times ahead for the current providers - not to mention that government will likely try and make them build and maintain the infrastructure needed to provide the free data as a condition of their licenses.

Quicks

Expert Member
ANC Government and priorities do not mix well in this country. I think there is something morally wrong with them and can simply not grasp certain things.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

It will be a massive failure. Once you pretend normal economic realities don't exist it will fail. They've tried it with Eskom and we are where we are now.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Imagine the instant amount of TV Licences required..

Could that be the grand convoluted plan, pay for broadband, then claim back a portion via the SABC for their new Digital Consumption licence model, it doesn't make sense, but would never put it past the cleva guys on top..

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Imagine the instant amount of TV Licences required..

Could that be the grand convoluted plan, pay for broadband, then claim back a portion via the SABC for their new Digital Consumption licence model, it doesn't make sense, but would never put it past the cleva guys on top..
I like it. Luckily I don't need free data. :D

Swa

Honorary Master
By 2025, 50GB will be worth nothing. I currently use about 30GB per day.
There are different market segments. For a fibre user it's nothing. For a mobile user 50GB is worth R100 for me. Operators will never be willing to give that up. We should have worked to the point where it isn't worth anything to consider.