52% of South Africans don’t want Covid vaccine, despite SA securing initial batch

netstrider

Expert Member
No one is immune to Covid.

Until there is compelling evidence to suggest that you cannot be reinfected, I'll take the "immunity" claims with a serious pinch of salt.

Just recently, and I mean as of yesterday, I have a family friend who has just tested positive for Covid, again. He's showing symptoms, again.

I get this is anecdotal and cannot be applied everywhere, but if you're claiming immunity, you need to provide proof.
Is a vaccine more effective than natural immunity?

Does a vaccine not just force your body to create natural immunity anyway?

If that is the case, what makes it different from having contracted covid twice as opposed to getting 2 shots?

Rosaudio

First Officer

If that is the case, what makes it different from having contracted covid twice as opposed to getting 2 shots?

Vaccines historically induce a better immune response than natural immunity, without the added risks involved by actually becoming infected (and subsequent pressures on healthcare systems).

You would also have better-documented numbers in terms of the level of immunity amongst the population. With natural immunity, you can only really document this with already limited anti-body testing.

There is also no risk of long covid, which has not been studied enough to fully understand yet, along with the risks and implications.

netstrider

Expert Member
A vaccine doesn't kill its recipient.

We are very likely going to need to be re-vaccinated every x months until people like you actually take the vaccine.
Why do you assume that?

Rosaudio answered my question though, so thanks anyway.

daveza

Honorary Master
A vaccine doesn't kill its recipient.

We are very likely going to need to be re-vaccinated every x months until people like you actually take the vaccine.

Or quite possibly we will need a yearly shot, same as a flu shot.

Grant

Honorary Master
Vaccines 40 years ago can hardly be compared to ANY vaccine today - especially not an experimental one that has not been properly tested (like the Covid ones).
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you, but things have changed just a little bit in the last 40yrs.
Your car back then probably did not have an abs brake system, Bluetooth, airbags, GPS, mp3 player... but 40yr later it does.

Oddly, medical science has also changed with the times, patients can even be kept alive now for up to 3 months, despite total heart and lung failure.

Covid vaccines can hardly be described as experimental when they are now being used all over the world.

2021 welcomes you

Markd

Expert Member
People are also scared of this just being the next chapter in decades of africa being the beta testbed for bad vaccines.

Bro please - millions of people in the first world are busy getting these vaccines while Africa has practically NOTHING deployed yet, and no clarity on when the stuff is actually arriving in-country. Africa is not the testbed for COVID vaccines...we're the ones that are going to die because we're not organised enough to mobilise our own solutions to this global issue.

Grant

Honorary Master
And if you get a heartattack from being a fat fck they also won't pay for your hospital fees or surgery.
WHere the fck do you come from ? Retard school or the sewage factory ?
I may have a bit of a surprise for you, while I wouldn't go as far as describing myself as a fat fukk, but thanks to earlier severe lockdowns I put on a significant about of weight - and I smoke.
Very recently I underwent 2 cardiac procedures - medical aid settled all costs

rambo919

Honorary Master
Bro please - millions of people in the first world are busy getting these vaccines while Africa has practically NOTHING deployed yet, and no clarity on when the stuff is actually arriving in-country. Africa is not the testbed for COVID vaccines...we're the ones that are going to die because we're not organised enough to mobilise our own solutions to this global issue.
That's cause the rules are different this time round. They offloaded WAY too much bad vaccines here in the past.

Also this time the rich countries are desperate so much money at inflated pricing is to be made there making Africa a tertiary market.

rambo919

Honorary Master
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you, but things have changed just a little bit in the last 40yrs.
Your car back then probably did not have an abs brake system, Bluetooth, airbags, GPS, mp3 player... but 40yr later it does.
My current "classic" still doesnt....

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I may have a bit of a surprise for you, while I wouldn't go as far as describing myself as a fat fukk, but thanks to earlier severe lockdowns I put on a significant about of weight - and I smoke.
Very recently I underwent 2 cardiac procedures - medical aid settled all costs
What was the surprise ?
And the medical aid paid like they are supposed to.

Rosaudio

First Officer
What was the surprise ?
And the medical aid paid like they are supposed to.
Every single post of yours in this thread has been a pointlessly stupid question without any contribution to an adultlike and constructive discussion.

Why are you like this?

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Every single post of yours in this thread has been a pointlessly stupid question without any contribution to an adultlike and constructive discussion.

Why are you like this?
Can you read ? He said he's got a bit of a surprise for me.
Anycase, it's Friday, i need to talk kak. And look at my first post about O+ blood groups. That was good info buddy.

Neuk_

Expert Member
No one is immune to Covid.

Until there is compelling evidence to suggest that you cannot be reinfected, I'll take the "immunity" claims with a serious pinch of salt.

Just recently, and I mean as of yesterday, I have a family friend who has just tested positive for Covid, again. He's showing symptoms, again.

I get this is anecdotal and cannot be applied everywhere, but if you're claiming immunity, you need to provide proof.

I know I am jumping in the middle of a conversation/debate/spat here, but if no-one can be or become immune, what is the point of a vaccine?

diapason

Expert Member
Not too sure you've noticed, as you seem to be the village idiot, but pre-existing conditions, like being a fat fsck, WILL exempt you from being covered under certain medical aids.
Medical aids, by law, cannot exclude anyone for pre-existing conditions. The most they can do is impose a 12 month waiting period if you haven't had cover within the previous 3 months and/or a late joiner penalty depending on age and number of years without cover.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Disappointing to see so many Anti-Vaxxers...
Scarier to see how many people are supportive of curtailing and restricting the simple things like civil liberties and civil rights, which took decades to get to where they are, through countless sufferings of people, because of a virus with a 97% recovery rate that has infected less than 100 million people out of 7.7 billion.
That is terrifying.

rambo919

Honorary Master
I know I am jumping in the middle of a conversation/debate/spat here, but if no-one can be or become immune, what is the point of a vaccine?
That cannot be answered without someone getting called a conspiracy nutcase....

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member

I think so. A shot just exposes you to strains that you haven't been subjected to.