52% of South Africans don’t want Covid vaccine, despite SA securing initial batch

Neuk_

Expert Member
"change DNA" is a very large category of things.

Technically anything that uses RNA to alter anything changes DNA. A Vaccine that works by using RNA to alter DNA..... is by definition genetic engineering no matter what it does.

I saw some social media posts last week reportedly from a medical professional explaining how at least one of the vaccines work and altering DNA was not mentioned anywhere. What was explained was how this particular vaccine used mRNA to instruct the human body to produce a protein particular to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and foreign to the human body. The production of this protein would kick off the human bodies natural immune system which would produce antibodies to destroy the foreign protein and T-cells which have a memory of this protein. The mRNA used is not dangerous at all and is broken down by your body in a fairly short space of time...

rambo919

Honorary Master
I saw some social media posts last week reportedly from a medical professional explaining how at least one of the vaccines work and altering DNA was not mentioned anywhere. What was explained was how this particular vaccine used mRNA to instruct the human body
You cannot do the latter without implicitly doing the former.

Neuk_

Expert Member
What other purpose does RNA have than to alter DNA?

Yes it maintains DNA but it does this by alteration.

I don't know, it has been a very long time since I learnt anything about DNA and much has been discovered since then, hence my question. As explained in the link I posted above, mRNA is used to instruct human cells to make a particular protein, why do you say this alters those cells DNA?

rambo919

Honorary Master
I don't know, it has been a very long time since I learnt anything about DNA and much has been discovered since then, hence my question. As explained in the link I posted above, mRNA is used to instruct human cells to make a particular protein, why do you say this alters those cells DNA?
Keep in mind I am no expert I just have a habit of watching an extremely large variety of documentaries and not all the details stick....

RNA performs it's function of maintaining or in extreme cases drastically altering DNA by first breaking it apart, doing whatever it needs to do and then rebinding it. Changing what RNA does in ANY way is the definition of genetic engineering, people assume it means something extremely drastic but even here this is a misconception because drastic means something as small as turning genome markers on or off.

In a sense the body genetically engineers itself throughout your lifetime which is how genetic defects happen for example. You become an alcoholic by the body adapting by changing your DNA by turning certain markers on or off, this configuration of markers can then be passed on to future generations which is how generational alcoholism happens.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Keep in mind I am no expert I just have a habit of watching an extremely large variety of documentaries and not all the details stick....

RNA performs it's function of maintaining or in extreme cases drastically altering DNA by first breaking it apart, doing whatever it needs to do and then rebinding it. Changing what RNA does in ANY way is the definition of genetic engineering, people assume it means something extremely drastic but even here this is a misconception because drastic means something as small as turning genome markers on or off.

In a sense the body genetically engineers itself throughout your lifetime which is how genetic defects happen for example. You become an alcoholic by the body adapting by changing your DNA by turning certain markers on or off, this configuration of markers can then be passed on to future generations which is how generational alcoholism happens.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I am doing a bit of reading myself but there is so much on this subject and it is very complicated.

To simplify, mRNA which instructs cells to say produce a certain protein in the case of certain SARS-CoV-2, does so by breaking down and then rearranging that cells DNA?

diesel

Expert Member
For me personally i dont have a problem against a vaccine , I do however have a problem with our government trying to restrict open access to the vaccines by blocking private companies from sourcing and distributing , also the fact they decided to go with the India vaccine is another problem , why did they abandon the Pfizer? , what dodgy deal have they made with India?.

I heard rumors about a vaccination passport that will allow people that have been vaccinated to travel more freely than those without , should that be true then i would definitely want to get it done as soon as possible.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
For me personally i dont have a problem against a vaccine , I do however have a problem with our government trying to restrict open access to the vaccines by blocking private companies from sourcing and distributing , also the fact they decided to go with the India vaccine is another problem , why did they abandon the Pfizer? , what dodgy deal have they made with India?.

I heard rumors about a vaccination passport that will allow people that have been vaccinated to travel more freely than those without , should that be true then i would definitely want to get it done as soon as possible.
That's what no-one seems to get, right?

This anti covid-vaccine stance for many is based on a complete lack of trust in government. Not necessarily the science or the vaccine.

And not just the cancer government, all of them across the globe.

The passport idea for me is a major reason I will never get this vaccine. They tried passes in Nazi Germany and Apartheid SA, didn't they?

Vanessa13

People say 0+ blood group is immune to covid. So i'm sorted.

If all else fails, i'll cook some beetroot and take a shower.
This is the first time I've heard of a blood group being immune. I wonder if any research has been done into the why of it?

Neuk_

Expert Member
That's what no-one seems to get, right?

This anti covid-vaccine stance for many is based on a complete lack of trust in government. Not necessarily the science or the vaccine.

And not just the cancer government, all of them across the globe.

The passport idea for me is a major reason I will never get this vaccine. They tried passes in Nazi Germany and Apartheid SA, didn't they?

My impression was that they would be similar to current travel vaccination books for things like yellow fever.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My impression was that they would be similar to current travel vaccination books for things like yellow fever.
My impression (based off the crackdowns I see around the world) is that it will be a lot more like a dompas and enforced for simple things like going to the pub for a beer.

Natas

Expert Member
Thanks for taking the time to explain, I am doing a bit of reading myself but there is so much on this subject and it is very complicated.

To simplify, mRNA which instructs cells to say produce a certain protein in the case of certain SARS-CoV-2, does so by breaking down and then rearranging that cells DNA?
RNA, including mRNA, is not the same as DNA and cannot bind with your DNA to alter your genetics. There is a cellular structure in your cells called a Ribosome, which moves down the mRNA strand and "interprets the mRNA into a protein. All it does is string together amino acids using the sequence dictated by the mRNA.

As far as I am concerned, if you don't want to take the vaccine its because you are an idiot. That's fine though.. it increases my chances of getting the shot sooner. That being said I think the vaccine should be mandatory for anyone who doesn't have a medical justification. I am hoping there are lots of countries that won't allow people to travel there unless they have been vaccinated.

Brawler

Honorary Master
This is the first time I've heard of a blood group being immune. I wonder if any research has been done into the why of it?
There is some ongoing research on the subject (a quick google will get you results) and it seems, from preliminary data, the O group has lower risks but not immune.

animal531

Expert Member
Good, more for me as i'm further down the list.

I don't agree with anti-vaxxers (even if COVID-19 is the first vaccine you refuse to take) - but the freedoms we all want to enjoy mean people must have the right to choose not to take the vaccine if they don't want it.

Wrong! The whole point of vaccines is to immunize the "herd" to a point where there are so few unvaccinated people left that the disease can no longer effectively spread.

50% isn't enough, all that will happen is that the disease will mutate inside of them (as we've already seen) while still spreading, meaning that next season (if you're lucky) there will only be a slightly different strain for you to be immunized against (again); or if you're unlucky a strain that there isn't a vaccine for.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

I would be very suspicious had they gone with Pfizer, I would be asking myself what dodgy deals did they sign with America.

Vanessa13

There is some ongoing research on the subject (a quick google will get you results) and it seems, from preliminary data, the O group has lower risks but not immune.
Interesting. I'll look into that, thanks! Would be good to know why.